Options

Italy Trip June

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited August 25, 2011 in Location, Location, Location!
Heading to Italy at the end of June. Will be hitting Venice, Florence, Pisa, Rome and some smaller cities like Padua, Asis and Siena in between.

Any recommendations like must photog, and stuff to bring would be really appreciated.

What I'm planning on bringing is my widest lens (i know not very wide) a 24-105mm and my 70-200 2.8, 580II, 2 batteries, 3 mem cards, also a CPL, a ND filter, my tripod and monopod. Laptop too.

My only concern is that my 24-105 is not wide enough so I was thinking of renting one for the 8 days we'll be there, or should I just stitch??

Also, any knows issues for using a tripod in places??

Lastly, I LOVE experiencing the local culture so if you have any must eat places or secret little spots I would love to hear about it. You can PM me if its that much of a secret squirrel place. LOL

Thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 4, 2011
    I think your 24 will be fine.

I'm not a huge fan of tripods and I really don't think you'll need one. Keep in mind you'll want to travel light considering the incredible humidity you'll encounter late June.

As for food: If you're adventurous I highly recommend "Cheap Eats". The book will guide you to dozens of fantastic "off the beaten tourist path" local eateries serving up bountiful plates of delicious food at really affordable prices.

I never travel Europe without an updated edition. http://www.amazon.com/Cheap-Eats-Italy-Travelers-Prices/dp/0811810704

Bon Voyage thumb.gif

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
    edited May 5, 2011
    I think the tripod is going to be more trouble than it's worth. Even museums that allow cameras generally don't allow tripods. You can get reasonably good panos hand-held. What I think you're missing is a fast lens for night/indoor shooting. I'd suggest renting an EF 35 f/1.4L, but be warned that you're going to want to buy one when you get back. mwink.gif I'd also think twice about carrying the 70-200, which is heavy and not all that useful in the cities. I think the 24-105 will serve you well most of the time.

Buon viaggio!
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    I was thinking of leaving the 70-200mm lens home since I agree it's not that useful in the city. I agree I want to travel light and I really only want to take 2 lenses. I have the 24-105mm and I'm considering the 14mm 2.8 II prime as my ultra wide.

Let me ask you, I know I can;t use a tripod in museums and churches, but can I at least carry it in. I'm planning on having it strapped to my backpack.

R.
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2011
    In Rome, seek out San Eustachio for the best espresso in town. In Venice, there was a very small place just a little way off Piazza San Marco called Osteria da Carla. We enjoyed the atmosphere and food so much, we ate there every night.

I was there about this time last year, so you can visit my gallery for some ideas on what you might want to shoot while there: http://www.theoriginalblackcat.com/Galleries/Travel/Italy

In Rome, there are a few spots that allow you to get a look at the city over its rooftops, which is a stunning view. St. Peter's Basilica is enormous and awe-inspiring, but go early as the lines get VERY long very quickly. Then hop next door to see the Sistine Chapel. Throw a coin (or two or three, depending on whether you wish to return to Italy alone or with your love) into Trevi Fountain. Stroll through Piazza Navona. And, of course, the Colosseum and the Forum, for some good old-fashioned ruins.

In Venice, just get lost (it's easy to do!). Wander through the alleyways and keep an eye out for the specialty artisan shops.

Eat pasta and gelato every day, and have at least one glass of wine. I took some of my favorite pictures while sitting outdoors with a glass of wine. :D
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2011
    Which Wide angle for italy???
    Going to italy in June, should I take a 14mm 2.8 prime or a 16-35mm 2.8??
  • Options
    tpodonnetpodonne Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2011
    Italy trip
    I was there two years ago in August and my guide (brother In-law) recommended seeing some of the Rome sites at night and we are glad we did. I'd wish I had brought/rented some faster glass and or a light weight tripod. If you wish you can check out some of my Italy shots at

www.aspenroadimages.com

We hit up Rome, Venice, and Florence - Rome was my favorite I'd go back in a heartbeat. I'm somewhat of a city kid myself.

Have fun!
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    love to write long reply but broken collar bone so pls accept this short one mwink.gif

wide - on my 1.5x nikon dx i am often maxxing out at 17mm - go WIDER if you can - those alley ways are REAL narrow and it can be hard to get far enough back to get everything you want in the shot

go FAST glass - at least one lens as you do lose some light down there in the narrows and inside with no flash - some 35m 1.8 or something would be a help - just to get the shot for memories

my goto lens for 90% of my italy shots is 17-50 f2.8 -- actually last holiday was only lens i used....

tripod - if you can leave it in the car most of the time... personally find it almost impossibl to use except for late night shots - and even then not really in the towns as people stay out later in Italy and you dont want people knocking tripod over

70-200 2.8 id leave home - youll rarely be able to use it in towns and shame to lug that weight around...

cozrse this is all my experience... you may vary...

live in Switzerland and holiday in italy every 2nd year but visit usually each year...

dont forget to visit Lucca too ;)

have a great trip! and hope i helped in a small way
    rickp wrote: »
    Heading to Italy at the end of June. Will be hitting Venice, Florence, Pisa, Rome and some smaller cities like Padua, Asis and Siena in between.

Any recommendations like must photog, and stuff to bring would be really appreciated.

What I'm planning on bringing is my widest lens (i know not very wide) a 24-105mm and my 70-200 2.8, 580II, 2 batteries, 3 mem cards, also a CPL, a ND filter, my tripod and monopod. Laptop too.

My only concern is that my 24-105 is not wide enough so I was thinking of renting one for the 8 days we'll be there, or should I just stitch??

Also, any knows issues for using a tripod in places??

Lastly, I LOVE experiencing the local culture so if you have any must eat places or secret little spots I would love to hear about it. You can PM me if its that much of a secret squirrel place. Laughing.gif

Thanks
    R.
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011

id probably take the 14mm prime - wide as possible for narrow places with BIG cathedrals/churches stuck in little courtyards...
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    You have a 5D MK II which is full frame. I suggest you take the 16-35 is 16mm at wide end is fairly wide, and having a zoom option will allow you more freedom.
    If you had a APS-C body, I would have said 14mm, but with a full frame 16-35 makes more sense.

Remember, for exteriors, you will often go to 24-30mm for some angles..

That said if you are taking your 24-105, and do not mind changing lenses often, the 14mm prime would be a good idea.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011

I would take the 14mm (+24-105) just for the fact that it is more fun to take
    a few stunning shots where the 14mm is perfect than hundreds of good ones
    with a 16-35 when its not wide enough...
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    Thank you so much for ALL this great information. I'm writing EVERYTHING down. You should see my google map account too, it's peppered with markers for all the places of interest.

Friday I rented a 14mm 2.8 prime lens to take with me. So right now the only 2 lenses I'm taking re the 14mm and a 24-105mm. Unfortunately the 24-105 is not a very fast lens, so the 14mm will have to do. I'm definitely taking my tripod and my monopod with with. I'm also taking a couple of filters with me, and ND filter and a CPL filter, it might came in handy in Venice to cut down on the water reflection.

Now to the real important stuff, where a good gellato place in Rome or Venice?
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    Thanks for the great info guys.

I rented the 14mm prime. Like mentioned, I think the 14mm wide would be great for some really nice images in one shot as opposed to 2 or 3 stitched.

R.
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    Hello Rick - I am resurrecting this post to ask for your post-trip results and opinion.

I'm leaving on Sept 4th for a trip to Italy: 1.5 weeks visiting Tuscan hilltowns + 4 nights in Rome. In particular, were you able to use your tripod in the evening in Rome, or were there too many people or other issues?

I am hoping to setup the tripod for twilight and evening shots of the Coliseum, Pantheon, etc.

Grazie mille
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    edited August 24, 2011
    Hey Grazie,
    I was able to use my tripod pretty much without issues. for the Coliseum you'll have plenty of area to setup from. If you approach the coliseum from the west you;ll have some nice areas to setup in, including a little parking area just before it on the right hand side. You'll just need a bit of a wide lens to get the picture.

As for the Pantheon, that's a little more difficult. In front of the main entrance there's a open area but it's packed with people. You'll be able to setup but expect people in the shot. Same thing for the Spanish steps and the trevi fountain. The fountain was ridiculously packed but I was still able to setup my tripod. You just have to work quickly, not the best circumstances for a great shot. Unless you go at 3 or 4 AM. I was there at 10PM.

If I can ask, what gear are you bringing?

As for lenses I had a 14mm 2.8 prime, and my 24-105mm. I left my 70-200 2.8 at home. I was trying to travel light. If I knew then what I know now I would also take a TS lens for all the architecture. The 14mm came in nice for some situations but if shooting the architecture a TS is a must. Also, I had no issues with my flash. I have a 5D2 so I had to use my speedlite. Except for a few places that don't allow flash I was able to use it with no problems.

I hope this helps.

R.
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    {stuff deleted}

If I can ask, what gear are you bringing?

As for lenses I had a 14mm 2.8 prime, and my 24-105mm. I left my 70-200 2.8 at home. I was trying to travel light. If I knew then what I know now I would also take a TS lens for all the architecture. The 14mm came in nice for some situations but if shooting the architecture a TS is a must. Also, I had no issues with my flash. I have a 5D2 so I had to use my speedlite. Except for a few places that don't allow flash I was able to use it with no problems.

I hope this helps.

R.

Thanks Rick. That helps!

I shoot a Canon 50D. My primary walk-about travel lens is usually the 17-55 f2.8. I will also bring my 10-22 for the ultra-wide shots, a speedlite, and perhaps my 24-105mm. I'll leave my 70-200 at home. I don't have a T/S lens, but I'm guessing I'll be wishing I did. I've never used one, so don't have time to learn it at the last minute.

I am staying at a hotel that literally faces the Pantheon, so I will be easily able to walk around this area of ancient rome at night, early mornings, etc (hope that's safe carrying expensive gear). In addition, I was thinking of bringing my neutral-density filters (I have 3-stop, 6-stop, 10-stop) for some long-exposures to intentionally blur pedestrians who are walking in front of the buildings. Around ruins and historic sites, I think this often has a cool effect of making people look like ghosts who are hanging around their old stomping grounds. mwink.gif

I'll also be spending a week in roaming some Tuscan hilltowns. Trip starts on Sept 4.

have you posted your Italy gallery yet?
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    edited August 25, 2011
    Actually no I haven't posted anything yet. Just havent' had the time.

Your hotel location is great for walking around. As for crime, I really didn't hear anything negative. But like any travel just keep your head on a swivel, pay attention and use common sense.

The NDF is a good idea since you'll have access to late evening shots the ND filter migth work nicely.

FWIW, Ive rented lenses from BorrowLenses.com. before, they have good prices.

Again, hope this helps.

R.