Options

Canon 85L - How difficult is it to master?

keithinmelbournekeithinmelbourne Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited August 28, 2011 in Cameras
I'm seriously toying with buying the 85L. I've seen many wonderful shots taken with this lens and would like to join the party. However, having handled one in a shop I'm also aware that it's not the easiest lens to use. What have others experience been? I have the 50L and have been pleasantly surprised by its user friendliness, but the 85L seems to be another level of difficulty.
Keith

Mumon is right! "Every day is a good day!"

http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/

Comments

• Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    I'll chime in for what its worth. I've got the 85mm 1.2 and yes its a great lens, which you of course know. However I found it to be a bit sluggish to autofocus and for me I found the 85mm just to be too much zoom. I actually wish I had gone with the 50mm myself.

I can't speak from experience, but I've heard that lens is great for some indoor sports where you need something super fast and a little bit of reach is welcome.

So I'm left wishing I had a 50mm, but I know the 85 would be fantastic if I could find its sweet spot.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    I'm seriously toying with buying the 85L. I've seen many wonderful shots taken with this lens and would like to join the party. However, having handled one in a shop I'm also aware that it's not the easiest lens to use. What have others experience been? I have the 50L and have been pleasantly surprised by its user friendliness, but the 85L seems to be another level of difficulty.

What difficulty? Shooting wide open? Perhaps that is what you speak of. I rented the 85L version-2 recently I found it way heavy, way slow to focus, but supreme in image rendering. In fact I shot a video of actors on stage from about 10m @f/2 and found it just crystal! brilliant optics.
    tom wise
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    If you have the 50 1.2 L and can do okay with focusing, you'll probably be able to "get by" with the 85 1.2. The 85 1.2 is definitely a step up, though; it's fly-by-wire manual focus for example. Google it.

To be honest, it's JUST a portrait lens. Your subjects ought to be holding still, you ought to be holding still or better yet, on a tripod / monopod, ESPECIALLY if you'd like to shoot at closer distances and wide open.

Implying, of course, the 85 L is NOT meant to be an action / candid lens. Hands-down, as a wedding and event photographer I would NEVER consider the 85 L over the 85 1.8... The 85 1.8 is sooooo snappy and accurate when focusing, it is just a matter of consistency as a reliable professional tool.

Especially if you're shooting on a 5-series Canon, instead of a 1-series. The 1-series bodies do quite well at focusing the f/1.2 lenses; you still get quite a few shots that are just BARELY out of focus when shooting at f/1.2 or f/2, but not nearly as many as with a 5D mk2 for example.

Disclaimer- I am in fact a Nikon shooter, but I have actually shot extensively with just about every Canon body and lens currently in production. I do prefer Nikon's focus accuracy, and the fact that Nikon makes their pro-grade 85mm an f/1.4 aperture instead of f/1.2, I believe is a huge advantage with focus speed and accuracy..

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    The 85 1.8 is 90% as good for 1/5th of the price, at least from the photos I've seen and people's descriptions of the lenses. Check out this thread, it'll make you want an 85 1.8 instead thumb.gif
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    What others have said - slow focus, hard to shoot wide open, but gorgeous when you can get the shot. Rent one and see how you like it :)
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    If you have the 50 1.2 L and can do okay with focusing, you'll probably be able to "get by" with the 85 1.2. The 85 1.2 is definitely a step up, though; it's fly-by-wire manual focus for example. Google it.

To be honest, it's JUST a portrait lens. Your subjects ought to be holding still, you ought to be holding still or better yet, on a tripod / monopod, ESPECIALLY if you'd like to shoot at closer distances and wide open.

Implying, of course, the 85 L is NOT meant to be an action / candid lens. Hands-down, as a wedding and event photographer I would NEVER consider the 85 L over the 85 1.8... The 85 1.8 is sooooo snappy and accurate when focusing, it is just a matter of consistency as a reliable professional tool.

Especially if you're shooting on a 5-series Canon, instead of a 1-series. The 1-series bodies do quite well at focusing the f/1.2 lenses; you still get quite a few shots that are just BARELY out of focus when shooting at f/1.2 or f/2, but not nearly as many as with a 5D mk2 for example.

Disclaimer- I am in fact a Nikon shooter, but I have actually shot extensively with just about every Canon body and lens currently in production. I do prefer Nikon's focus accuracy, and the fact that Nikon makes their pro-grade 85mm an f/1.4 aperture instead of f/1.2, I believe is a huge advantage with focus speed and accuracy..

=Matt=

Well spoken...
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2011
    Impulsively, I bought the 85L yesterday. I'll take it out at lunchtime today and see if I can do anything useful with it. Thanks for all your advice. I actually have the 85 f1.8 and it is a good performer, especially AF, but I'm primarily a portrait person, so I'm hoping the 85L will give me some extra magic. I found that the difference in IQ between the 50L and 50 f1.4 to be quite significant and I haven't regretted spending the extra money. I just hope I've made a good decision this time. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.
    Keith

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited August 25, 2011
    One technique I use with very shallow DOF is to not trust a single capture if you're working with a live subject.

Take a photograph using your best AF technique, quickly reacquire AF and then take another. The more images you take the better your chances for one that is just as you want it. This is a lot easier to do with a true "model" with experience because they can take direction, but it will work with anyone.

For those times when you have a static subject and you can work with a tripod, use live view to guarantee that prime focus is where you want and need it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    I'd be interested in an 85L vs 85 1.8 comparison ear.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 25, 2011
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2011
    Well, I went out at lunchtime and took a couple of street shots with the 5D2

Busker-IMG8484ls-L.jpg

Busker-IMG8462-L.jpg

Then when I got home took a few of my dog, Ike:

With the 5D2
    IKe-2608113557-eye-L.jpg

With the 1DmkIII
    Ike-T8B0956-L.jpg

These are pretty much straight out of the camera (with a bit of cropping). I found the focus with 85L and 5D2 to be pretty good - not fast, but pretty accurate. I'm very pleased, so farthumb.gif
    Keith

• Options
    edited August 26, 2011
    These images are excellent to be SOOC. Nice color, contrast & the DOF was to be expected.
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    What apertures were these?

The 85 1.8 is ok (although, if I'm honest, I always preferred the 100 f2 sister-lens), but I have to say.... the bokeh ain't nothing like the 1.2. It's my main "wishlist' lens, although I may move up in stages via the Sigma 85 1.4.

But the bokeh that 1.2 lens produces - that and the 135L for sure have "magic dust" ground into the glass!

(PS Gorgeous dog!!)
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited August 26, 2011
    Keith, congratulations on the new lens. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2011
    divamum wrote: »

The 85 1.8 is ok (although, if I'm honest, I always preferred the 100 f2 sister-lens), but I have to say.... the bokeh ain't nothing like the 1.2. It's my main "wishlist' lens, although I may move up in stages via the Sigma 85 1.4.

But the bokeh that 1.2 lens produces - that and the 135L for sure have "magic dust" ground into the glass!

(PS Gorgeous dog!!)

Yes, Ike is a lovely old fella. I took all the shots at f1.2.

I should also add that on both the 5D2 and 1DmkIII bodies the lens does not need any micro-adjustment. Maybe Canon tunes the f1.2s more finely?
    Keith

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    divamum wrote: »

(PS Gorgeous dog!!)
    I can guarantee you, that if you get the Sigma 85 f/1.4 you will probably never get around to "upgrading" to the Canon 85 1.2. The Sigma is "taking the cake" left and right among many reviewers around the internet. I've tested it personally on Nikon, and found it to be a flawless lens with L-quality bokeh, but for about a thousand bucks less than the Canon.

Whenever someone scoffs at the idea of using a Sigma lens instead of the legendary Canon 85 L, I just shrug and keep on shooting. The pictures look gorgeous and the focusing is snappy and accurate. :-)

=Matt=
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2011
    I can guarantee you, that if you get the Sigma 85 f/1.4 you will probably never get around to "upgrading" to the Canon 85 1.2. The Sigma is "taking the cake" left and right among many reviewers around the internet. I've tested it personally on Nikon, and found it to be a flawless lens with L-quality bokeh, but for about a thousand bucks less than the Canon.

Whenever someone scoffs at the idea of using a Sigma lens instead of the legendary Canon 85 L, I just shrug and keep on shooting. The pictures look gorgeous and the focusing is snappy and accurate. :-)

=Matt=
    Example images?
    tom wise
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2011
    Okay i don't have that fast lens, whenever i face issue of subject moving out of focus plane, when taking portraits especially kids (when i use f2.8 or 50 1.8) activate AI Servo instantly with DOF Preview button and take picture and release it when done, it works for me.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2011

=Matt=

I've considered purchasing this lens for quite some time & was just looking at it 30 minutes ago. The reviews online collectively mirror your thoughts about the lens as well. Do you have any samples you could share? Thanks Matt.
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Example images?
    I've considered purchasing this lens for quite some time & was just looking at it 30 minutes ago. The reviews online collectively mirror your thoughts about the lens as well. Do you have any samples you could share? Thanks Matt.
    Unfortunately my own personal samples are 99% from a "privacy-requested" wedding event, and it'd be tough to dig up the misc. personal images I snapped with it ~8 months ago. But, as I said there are LOTS of reviews and sample images out there on the internet; just look around and I think you'll be able to find plenty of reviews that compare the 85 1.4 EX and the 85 1.2 L, and most all of them will draw the same conclusion- Sure, the 85 L is 1.2 and has amazing bokeh and great colors, but the Sigma is 99% of the sharpness and 95% of the DOF / bokeh, for less than half the price.

I'll rent it again before the end of the year; I'm still deciding between the Nikon 85 1.4 AFS and the Sigma 85 1.4 EX. When I do rent it, I'll be sure to do a more appropriate test...

=Matt=