Pull backs....lets have some!

Comments

• jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Some wanted to know about the cart I used. It is not my idea but stolen from many others. Just added two boxes to hold items. Get the largest wheels you can find and make one of the boxes large enough to hold your light. It is so much easier to get to the site if you light modifer and light unit are not mounted to the stand but tucked away.

1. i-LMdg5Rn-X2.jpg

2. i-xpF53X2-X2.jpg

3. i-GKCJZgT-X2.jpg

4. i-3CV3qLW-X2.jpg
  • HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Thanks for the pull-back on the stand. I wish I would have had something like that when I was doing a lot of location shooting. Would have made life a whole lot easier. :)
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Thanks Charles for the cart photos. I have been trying to figure out something like this.
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Ray DauphinaisRay Dauphinais Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    In my new studio from a Fred and Ginger shoot:

5924710032_c453dc9d5b_z.jpg
    5932704105_852e0ed9a4_z.jpg
    5958882823_0564228fb3_z.jpg
    5933262384_fc2df10fda_z.jpg

Resulting images:
    5929300773_e882244c02_z.jpg

5929197177_69bb82d240_z.jpg

5951796695_cb511769cd_z.jpg

5950321049_c550857e92_z.jpg

Sorry if I posted too many images.
    All my images are made with 100% recycled electrons.

Follow me on Twitter and Like me on Facebook
    edited August 21, 2011
    Great shot but I think the main image on the composite could have used a bit more headroom and less white space at the bottom. Other than that, excellent work posing, lighting, and post-processing
    edited August 21, 2011
    Hinson wrote: »
    Great shot but I think the main image on the composite could have used a bit more headroom and less white space at the bottom. Other than that, excellent work posing, lighting, and post-processing

Thank you for the comments. Ken was doing what he called a 'snapback' step. I was trying to capture the 'pulling away' feel. You can see my normal style of composition in the other images.

edited August 21, 2011
    Ken was doing what he called a 'snapback' step.

'snapback'? Swing/hand dancing?
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    RKD....

Great shots. Is that a paper BG you're using? Also, how do you like that BG shovel reflector? I've been eyeballing it for a bit but not sure about it.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited August 21, 2011
    Hinson wrote: »
    'snapback'? Swing/hand dancing?

We were doing a take on Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Annie went to change outfits and Ken starting dancing to the music.

edited August 21, 2011
    Very, very cool work. Can't wait to get home and see them on a real monitor instead of
    A phone.
    edited August 21, 2011
    RKD....

Great shots. Is that a paper BG you're using? Also, how do you like that BG shovel reflector? I've been eyeballing it for a bit but not sure about it.

Not paper but a 27 foot long by 12 foot wide piece of vinyl flooring painted flat white.
    5876432401_f4c3c9967c_z.jpg
    Additional images of my studio space here: http://www.creativeconceptdfw.com/about-the-studio-space/studio-images/

The AB BG reflector is great for shots where it can be placed behind an object or person, one light high key or gel.

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    In awe of this dance set bowdown.gif - seriously fantastic. Thanks for the pullbacks! thumb.gif

PS your studio is bigger than my entire house rolleyes1.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Charles, where did you get that textured brick backdrop/panel? That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I"ve looked for for ages, but no go; most I've seen are flat/printed, and with brick I find that doesn't quite work because the texture usually has small shadows.... without them it looks fake.
    edited August 21, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Charles, where did you get that textured brick backdrop/panel? That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I"ve looked for for ages, but no go; most I've seen are flat/printed, and with brick I find that doesn't quite work because the texture usually has small shadows.... without them it looks fake.

Diva,

Lowes and two sheets of brick panneling. Added some drywall mud and then an off color paint over the mud to give it some age. About $50.00 total I think.
    edited August 21, 2011
    RKD , please post more with your pullbacks. These are wonderful especially on a real monitor.

Others please post your work and pullbacks. You only get better by putting yourself out there for crits. At times yes you might need a thick skin but your got to hear what your mistakes are to correct them. No matter where you are in this art form we still make mistakes so jump in. You will get better if you do this. It really makes you think next time before you release the shutter.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    RKD , please post more with your pullbacks. These are wonderful especially on a real monitor.

Others please post your work and pullbacks. You only get better by putting yourself out there for crits. At times yes you might need a thick skin but your got to hear what your mistakes are to correct them. No matter where you are in this art form we still make mistakes so jump in. You will get better if you do this. It really makes you think next time before you release the shutter.

Charles,

I'm getting my new softboxes this week. Thanks for the help on that, BTW. I will be practices some shots with my wife again for a project I was hired to do in a month or so... some Fitness Trainer shots for their website and advertising. I will need some help with that project so I will definitely post some pullbacks.

My Smug Site
    edited August 21, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    In awe of this dance set bowdown.gif - seriously fantastic. Thanks for the pullbacks! thumb.gif

PS your studio is bigger than my entire house rolleyes1.gif

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment.

edited August 21, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »

Thank you kindly.

Be careful what you ask for though, I try to pull back on most of my shoots so I can reproduce the setup if asked and for training classes I give at the studio.

Ray

edited August 22, 2011
    These:

5889280953_264a716b7c_z.jpg

5889849458_a78d7a26e4_z.jpg

From this:

5889281041_fb755f0f35_z.jpg

86" AB Silver PLM

• AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    Wow those are terrific! You guys make me want my own Studio!
    edited August 26, 2011
    As you've noticed by now in general portrature the set up is remarkably static. Just have to pose correctlly and try to get the light coming in over the front shoulder on a lady and get shading on the opposite side of the face to slim the face.

1. i-SqQWvmd-XL.jpg

2. i-ctGnbfK-XL.jpg

Changed bkg but same setup.

3. i-dgw5mvM-XL.jpg

Same setup but added a kicker.

4. i-JQ5hrKb-XL.jpg

5. i-nD9k6Mb-XL.jpg

Same just changed bkg and added what the kids call a dead tree.

6. i-zBLd5bM-XL.jpg

7. i-SGr9HfL-XL.jpg

This time just a small main, Eyelighter and bkg lt.

8. i-Rrprn7g-XL.jpg

9. i-Ls3PVKw-XL.jpg

10. i-9qN6CgW-XL.jpg
    edited August 26, 2011
    Charles,

How far back from the subject is your BG?

My Smug Site
    edited August 26, 2011
    Your bkg should be as far away as possible. Generally my subjects are about 6ft away. On the grey it was more like 8 to 9.
    edited August 26, 2011
    Cool. I think I can manage 6' in my space. Not sure about 9 unless I use a short focal length or their should-up shots.

My Smug Site
  • 0scar990scar99 Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2011
    Just wanted to say HI and thanks to the contributors in this thread. I've been lurking for some time now and very much enjoyed the information, so much so, I decided to join!
    edited August 27, 2011
    0scar99 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say HI and thanks to the contributors in this thread. I've been lurking for some time now and very much enjoyed the information, so much so, I decided to join!

Great, now start posting and the learning begins!
    edited August 27, 2011
    This Behind the Scenes video show a bit of the setups for the Annie shoot I posted earlier.

Creative Concept Studios from jason gilmore on Vimeo.

edited August 27, 2011
    Totally awesome!!!!!! Please more!
    edited August 29, 2011
    OK... here's one of mine. I took this yesterday with my new softboxes. Two gridded strip boxes behind, one large softbox in front just to camera right. I had to bring the levels up in post on this pullback shot because you couldn't see the front softbox.

00073-XL.jpg

Here is the result. I'm pretty happy. It's the first time I've ever used softboxes and the first time I've used a three light, low key setup like this:

00082-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site