Options

Which would be The Best Monitor (for HP laptop)?

Scott MacKenzieScott MacKenzie Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited September 2, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
Greetings, Fine People;

I was at a photo clinic at Grandfather Mountain last weekend--and in a hurry to catch the sunrise from the top, I tripped coming out of my tent and fell onto my HP laptop, cracking the screen.

I was just wondering your thoughts on what would be The Best monitor to tie to my HP laptop.

I would like to judo this Unfortunate Incident into an Extremely Positive Development...So I figured I would ask The Best.

I would Very Much Appreciate any information anyone might be able to pass on.

Thanks!
I like images that feel like I am the Walrus sounds.

Comments

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    Greetings, Fine People;

I was at a photo clinic at Grandfather Mountain last weekend--and in a hurry to catch the sunrise from the top, I tripped coming out of my tent and fell onto my HP laptop, cracking the screen.

I was just wondering your thoughts on what would be The Best monitor to tie to my HP laptop.

I would like to judo this Unfortunate Incident into an Extremely Positive Development...So I figured I would ask The Best.

I would Very Much Appreciate any information anyone might be able to pass on.

Thanks!

How much do you want to spend?

Low cost one - HP ZR24w at $370 from BandHPhoto.com. S-IPS panel, 24 inch. Not bad for the price. You should also spend another $150 or so for monitor calibrator though. About $500 total investment for nice photography monitor and calibrator.

You can spend much, much more if you can afford it.

See " Is a 1000$ monitor really worth it " thread as one person lists some very good monitor review websites.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    VGA Connectivity?

Just get something small and cheap for now.

All of the following have e-IPS LCD tft panels, are 6bit +AFRC to simulate an 8bit 16.7 million color depth (and they do it with minimal banding issues), and have a standard sRGB gamut, and calibrate well with a hardware calibrator.

HP ZR22w
    - 21.5" 1920x1080
    - has been seen for $189USD on sale

ASUS ML239
    - 23" 1920x1080 sRGB gamut e-IPS panel
    - has been seen for $229 USD

Dell U2211
    - 21.5" 1920x1080
    - has been seen for $189USD on sale

Dell U2311
    - 23" 1920x1080
    - has been seen for $229USD on sale

NEC EA232WMi
    - 23" 1920x1080

Viewsonic VP2365WB
    - 23" 1920x1080

Review sites:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm
    http://www.flatpanelshd.com/reviews.php
    http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html

• Options
    edited August 26, 2011
    I Very Much appreciate your quick response, lifeinfocus!

There are glowing responses for these monitors!

Thank You VERY Much!
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2011
    Thanks for your quick response, Newsy!

I've got a lot of research to do--which is another reason I like DGrin so much.

Thank You!
  • Options
    GSWayneGSWayne Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2011
    You might check the max resolution your laptop can drive. I attempted to use a VAIO laptop on an HP ZR24w monitor and the laptop could not drive it to its native resolution.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2011
    GSWayne wrote: »
    You might check the max resolution your laptop can drive. I attempted to use a VAIO laptop on an HP ZR24w monitor and the laptop could not drive it to its native resolution.

GSWayne.... was that via a HDMI port ?
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    Newsy wrote: »
    GSWayne.... was that via a HDMI port ?
    That was with the VGA port. The HP ZR24w I was hooking it up do does not have an HDMI input, and as I discovered you cannot drive the HP monitor by using a Displayport to HDMI cable. That cable ONLY works to drive an HDMI display with a Displayport source. The converter for the other direction costs over $100.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    GSWayne wrote: »
    That was with the VGA port. The HP ZR24w I was hooking it up do does not have an HDMI input, and as I discovered you cannot drive the HP monitor by using a Displayport to HDMI cable. That cable ONLY works to drive an HDMI display with a Displayport source. The converter for the other direction costs over $100.

Were you running the laptop with both the laptop screen active and the external active as in a dual monitor type configuration?

Or did you try it with just the external active?

• Options
    edited September 2, 2011
    You figured out what I was doing wrong. If I use only the external display it allows the full resolution of the display to be used. Thanks.