Options

Cheap Flash Photography

RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited August 28, 2011 in People
LP160 camera left through diffuser, LP160 camera right behind subject. Triggered via on-camera flash.

My first two speedlight units came in the mail yesterday. Never done anything like this before. Certainly a lot to learn. Respect to all you strobists out there that make this look easy. It most certainly isn't.

For this shot I took a knife to a cardboard box to make a gobo and gaffed it to the side of the hair/separation light (to keep spill off the back). My 7yo voice activated light stand (female version) alternately pointed it between the ceiling and subject depending on which commercial was on TV. Used an old piece of foam core standing on the floor to gobo the key to try to limit spill. Balanced the entire key rig on a recliner, with the diffuser jammed in to the side to hold it in place. Flash balanced on a pillow. Totally guessed on the exposure, chimping all the way. Used the black side of a 5:1 reflector as a backdrop balancing on a stool. The back didn't come out as black as I wanted, so I bottomed out the blacks underexposing the whole thing. I mean, I MEANT to make it low key. Yeah, that's the ticket.

The setup was comically cheesy. However, it is "the first one" so wanted to share my enthusiasm by posting. The voice activated light stand I was using got bored after three exposures and wanted to go back to watching Spongebob Squarepants. I tried to convince her photography was more fun. Didn't work.

i-dG7z83h-XL.jpg
Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
Website | Galleries | Utah PJs

Comments

• Options
    0scar990scar99 Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    Laughing.gif, I have a similar model VAL (voice activated lightstand) to you. I have to say it seems like they all have the same inherant manufacturung issues, but you have to love them all the same. You paint a great mental picture of your set-up with 'stuff' balanced all over the place I hear you brother! I think the effort was worth it though, great picture.

The lighting, the expression, and frankly the hairstyle of the kid make this seem a little sad though. Is that the mood you were aiming for?
  • Options
    wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    I like it, think you did just fine. I know a lot of people will say to raise your catch lights to the 11 or 1 o'clock position, but if you voice activated stand was only so tall, I can understand. Funny and cute story you shared, thanks.

Strobbing gets addictive, I just ordered another speedlight, for a total of 4 now. Some non-voice activated stands that work great for speedlights and are cheap - http://www.amazon.com/LIGHT-STANDS-HEAVY-DUTY-PBL/dp/B001AMOTAY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/183-3745593-0478754
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    My VALs seem to be def.
    The only movement I've seen has happened when ICarli is running.ne_nau.gifscratch

Great Job.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Y.