Options

Bus Ride in Nepal

desertpaddlerdesertpaddler Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited August 29, 2011 in Journeys
Hi All

My 13 year old son and I took a bus ride from Kathmandu to an area called Langtag Lirung on the Tibetan border. We were on our way to to a 4 - 5 day trek (traveling with kids is always an experience and this was my son's 1st trek.)
I've done a full write-up with lots of photos here. In the meantime here are a few photos from the trip.

We had an early start and had to be at what passes for the bus terminus before sunrise. It was nice to see the sun coming up over the old buildings.

nepal-8.jpg

The bus station was abuzz with passengers, hawkers and associated hangers-on. I found the mix of old world and modern technology to be fascinating.

nepal_lzn.jpg

The bus was small and crammed with passengers, those not able to fit inside rode on the roof.
My son and I had the front row, but even so it was a very tight fit and the old man in the picture below spent the 8 hour journey on the transmission cover.

Nepal%2BTrek_lzn-47.jpg

As we climbed higher into the hills we went through an endless string of small villages, the bus would stop on demand and allow passengers on and off.
If there was even a hint that the bus would tarry longer than a few minutes we'd scrambled out to stretch our very stiff legs

nepal-9.jpg

After a very long and tiring day we finally made it to our guesthouse, from there we would start our trek on the next morning.
We dumped our backpacks and spent the evening around the village to restore circulation to our legs.

Nepal%2BTrek_lzn-10.jpg

When I get some time I'll post some of the actual trek itself.

Enjoy

Comments

• Options
    chickendropchickendrop Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2011
    Wow, what an adventure! My wife and I did some traveling in India a couple years ago, but no long haul bus rides. You are very brave. Such a great experience for you and your son.
  • Options
    jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    Great series of an interesting journey. I really like #2,3 &4. Pls post some more.
  • Options
    captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    jpope42 wrote: »
    Great series of an interesting journey. I really like #2,3 &4. Pls post some more.

Yes really great- if anyone viewing these hasn't clicked on the link to the blog I highly recommend it, sounds like a wonderful trip.
  • Options
    choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    I just came back after spending 6 months in Pakistan but the entire time I was afraid of getting my camera snatched away from me so even though there were A LOT of GREAT photographic opportunities but I didn't capture any :(

Great shots btw!
  • Options
    desertpaddlerdesertpaddler Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Thanks all for the comments so far. Here are a few more images from the journey. Remember you can see more of them here.

There is something very peaceful about prayer flags in the late evening, these were strung up over the village of Tatopani, the end of our 1st day's trekking.

Nepal%2BTrek-45.jpg

After a long steady climb to the village it was a balm to our weary bones to soak in the natural hot water springs (Tatopani translates as 'hot water' in the local language.)

Nepal%2BTrek-50.jpg

Chortens and carved 'mani' stones inscribed with prayers in Tibetan.

Nepal%2BTrek-23.jpg

I'll post more as I update the blog entries.