Pull backs....lets have some!

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Try the soft box totally vertical not tipped down. When you tip it the light does change. Try it more off to the side. Keep your subject more to the rear of the box. I'll try to draw a diagram later. Got to cut some trees down from Irene.

Good work.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    I think I get what you mean Charles. Have her further behind the box. I will try that. What I did do in later shots though was to put the box vertical and just lowered it down. That did work much better... kept the light nice and even. What a difference with these boxes as opposed to the umbrellas I was using. The light is much softer and much more easy to control.

Here is another shot from the set. Lighting is almost identical except I think I had the large box long edge on the horizontal.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited August 29, 2011
    "Have her further behind the box. I will try that"

Not behind the box.........have her about 1/5 to 1/4 in front of the rear edge. Keeping the box also horizontal not vertical and then the face of the box totally vertical. Don't point the box at her but across her. Tomorrow I'm up the studio and I'll try a diagram or some pullbacks.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Charles... I think we're saying the same thing but I'm not explaining myself correctly. If I understand, the box is 60" on the long end so set it on that end. Then, have her standing with the back 20" or so that way most of the light from the box feathers around her.

Do you orient the box the same with full length shots? Would the box with the long end on the vertical be better since it would light her length wise more evenly?

My Smug Site
    edited August 29, 2011
    I keep the box horizontal for full lengths as I want some drop off of light to accent the face more. However if doing a clothing product shot I would want to have it vertical to more evenly light the clothing. If I'm doing a white bkg at times I turn it vertical to pop alittle more light on the floor to make it white. Falloff there is not a good thing.

Generally there are two layers of baffles in a softbox. Try removing the inner baffle as it produces a tad more specular highlight removed. Two baffles are too soft for my style. What softboxes did you wind up purchasing?

You did a great job of your wife by the way.
    edited August 29, 2011
    Thanks Charles. Hmm... I didn't even try removing the inner baffle yet. I think the slightly harder light will work well for this style. I may shoot a few more tonight so I'll try that. Also, makes sense of the light falloff only being important in certain cases like high key. For these shots, again, no big deal if the light falls off a bit.

For the large box, I went with the 30x60 Paul C Buff. It has the umbrella style frame which is really slick. Opens and closes real quick. For the strips, I ended up ordering some cheaper ones off Amazon because I wanted something with length and I just couldn't afford the better ones. I figured worst case, if they sucked, I'd return them to Amazon. I got them and am pretty darn happy with them. Comparing them to the Paul Buff, the construction isn't all that bad. A little heavy but not terrible. They're pretty simple to break down and reassemble too.

My Smug Site
    edited September 1, 2011
    Worked with a football team last week and did a poster for them. Did not have enough time to do a pull back but everything was done with one 1600watt sec strobe in the octogone used in post 174 photo #8. The team was an hour late and they were looking into the sun as you can see my shadow on the ground in front of them. As I was tearing down a dad asked me to do his son so I did a few quick ones. Used some Topaz Adjust for some.

1. i-TCb7c8k-XL.jpg

2. i-wzg5PgW-XL.jpg

3. i-Xnr5nG9-XL.jpg

4. i-mLzfWv5-XL.jpg

5. i-sKBcJZN-XL.jpg

6. i-jGZQhdF-XL.jpg
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    I think number six is particularily cool looking. Whatever you did to it, it works really well.
    edited September 1, 2011
    Bryce, did a b&w on it then added Topaz Adjust, I think it was psychedelic.
    edited September 1, 2011
    Charles... what brand of boom stand do you use? Mine is a piece of crap.

My Smug Site
    edited September 1, 2011
    Right now my main stand for the boom is a Bogen/Manfrotto 3082 with casters. For the boom arm it is a Bogen/Manfrotto 3085 and get the weight for the end to balence it or make a hefty sand bag. You need to do one or the other to balance the light.

A really nice stand is the Manfrotto 3363. It is an air cushioned stand that is nice.
  • KatHatKatHat Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited September 1, 2011
    Hi everyone !
    I'm new here and wanted to share a posing & natural lighting set up from a newborn session.
    The first image shows the positioning of the baby in the box - getting those little hands and fingers straight rather than balled up and tucking them under baby's chin.
    The 2nd image shows baby in relation to the window. Window light always coming from top down (rather than from bum up which would give a "horror film" type of look casting shadows up the face rather than down). The 3rd image is an overhead view of the finished pose. The iphone is playing white noise to help keep baby asleep.
    The 4th is the final image of sleepy baby with some great window light (huge floor to ceiling windows here!!)

Toronto-Baby-Photographer.JPG

Toronto-Newborn-Photographer.JPG

Toronto-Maternity-Photographer.JPG

Toronto-Baby-Photography.jpg
  • 0scar990scar99 Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    That is one super-cute image!
    edited September 2, 2011
    Thanks - he was such a cutie !!
    edited September 2, 2011
    Great capture. I like the use of natural light and how you got the shading on the face. That creates a great portrait. Thanks for posting.
  • HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2011
    Laughing.gif...the first image made me think the baby was being buried up to the neck in some sort of container. The others cleared that up and the final image is definitely a wall-sized keeper. Great work.
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2011
    These are very nice baby series!

Always great to see these pull backs! What helpful info for us all.....and sometimes they are just entertaining just saying....!
    edited September 2, 2011
    Thanks ! I love shooting newborns expecially with natural light but often use a strobe/softbox as it's more practical depending on the time of day etc.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2011
    1st Pullback
    My wife's employeer asked me if I would take some pictures for their new catalog of new products they have. First "real" shoot, so I set up a fairly simple system in their warehouse. I rented a backdrop and supports, I had a softbox setup and a 25' flash cable. So I set it up in front of their garage door. I opened the door to get afternoon light in from the door and then used the flash as the main light. I ended up not needing the reflector at all after opening the door.

I am just now starting to process the pics, but here is the "studio"
    i-DckFNCT-M.jpg
    iPad photo

I learned a bunch, such as I should have gotten a cyclorama style background with seamless transition to the floor. Luckily in the shots, the floor matches pretty well with the backdrop.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    This Behind the Scenes video show a bit of the setups for the Annie shoot I posted earlier.

Fun stuff. thanks for sharing that!
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    My wife's employeer asked me if I would take some pictures for their new catalog of new products they have. First "real" shoot, so I set up a fairly simple system in their warehouse. I rented a backdrop and supports, I had a softbox setup and a 25' flash cable. So I set it up in front of their garage door. I opened the door to get afternoon light in from the door and then used the flash as the main light. I ended up not needing the reflector at all after opening the door.

I am just now starting to process the pics, but here is the "studio"
    i-DckFNCT-M.jpg
    iPad photo

I learned a bunch, such as I should have gotten a cyclorama style background with seamless transition to the floor. Luckily in the shots, the floor matches pretty well with the backdrop.

I would love to see the final results
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
    edited September 7, 2011
    Had a great time in Savannah with Warne Noyce of Canada. Showed us more than we were able to absorb. Here is one for now it's getting late and I fly back home tomorrow. More to follow. In the first one you can see the small Canon 580exII barely in the frame on the right.

1. i-qzzGnc7-X2.jpg

2. i-zL4GqdM-X2.jpg
  • AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    WOW! Awesome sky! Love the richness of the blue! Great ones again Charles!
    edited September 7, 2011
    Another with the 580 coming in from above.

1. i-Hz7bN4R-X2.jpg

2. i-7w9Gcwk-X2.jpg
    edited September 7, 2011
    Final one for the night. Again 580 off to left.

1. i-nbXrTVz-X2.jpg

2. i-7sfc5dj-X2.jpg
    edited September 8, 2011
    Love these ! Great job.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    I would love to see the final results

You got it. Currently have to do some more touch up/clean up but will get something up soon thumb.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2011
    Hmmmm. Can't say that I recall you posting a low key image before.

I'm a sucker for this one. :D
    Hackbone wrote: »

2. i-7w9Gcwk-X2.jpg
    edited September 16, 2011
    I often go to fabric stores and buy 6 to 8 ft of a fabric I like. I did like this green one so I added a green gel to intensify it abit more. Two kickers a bkg lt and a 4x6 main.

1. i-jD7pHw5-XL.jpg

2. i-S3SLLTW-X2.jpg

A main, one kicker and bkg. The main was right in front of her and I stood directly in front of that.

3. i-BdHFhSK-X2.jpg

4. i-jcRRhbJ-X2.jpg

two kickers on the bkg and the 4x6 plus reflector.

5. i-5B8LBMn-X2.jpg

6. i-jrsrP43-X2.jpg

The reflector was set up for a different shot on this set up. I just moved it to the right for the next shot. Note how much light is being reflected back to the subject.
    7. i-tkGTZcL-XL.jpg

8. i-dD68dXL-X2.jpg

Last one with the same reflector set up.

9. i-2TsJmjX-X2.jpg

10. i-qcXvcCX-X2.jpg
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2011
    Charles ##4, 8, 10 - bewdies mate! Beautiful lighting!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix