Options

Do you think this is a good purchase ?

DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
edited September 2, 2011 in Cameras
I'm not sure this is the place to ask this but if it isn't please let me know.
I've been looking at the Nikon 85mm 1.8 for a while but, since I don't have an immediate need for it and there are rumors of a replacement, I decided to wait.
Of course, I've always had a thing for the 85 1.4, but decided that it wasn't worth the extra price over the 1.8 version.
The 1.8 would cost me about 350€ new, and the 1.4D lists for 1070€, plus shipping. ( obviously not worth it )
However, I saw someone selling one in what looks like " like new " condition in a local forum for 800€, I decided to offer 700€ and they said they could consider it. What do you think ? Good deal ? It's not that I need the 1.4 but it's something I would definetly use. Also, it keeps it's value very well.

Comments

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    I don't know about Nikon's 85mm's, but I know that the Sigma 85 1.4 can be a fantastic alternative.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2011
    The sigma is still 1050€ and I haven't had a very nice experience with sigmas...
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Second the Sigma...at least give it a look....supposed to be the Best 85 on the market right now.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2011
    Would you say it's worth about 375€ more than the Nikkor AF-D ?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited August 29, 2011
    If indeed you have found a used, in like-new condition, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AF-D IF for 700 Euros I think it is well worth it. Do take a body with you to test the lens thoroughly.

Use a single-LED flashlight to check for internal fungus/mold/mildew by shining through the lens. For a lens of this caliber I would also take a filter along to check the filter threads of the lens.

(Yes, there is a Nikkor 85mm, f1.4G series lens due soon, but the "D" series should still hold most of its value.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2011
    Hi ziggy,
    Absolutely, I planned on taking the camera and flashlight. Why single-led though ?
    ( the 1.4G is already out, I think you're thinking about a 1.8G, which is what I was talking about too )
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2011
    Davidoff wrote: »
    Hi ziggy,
    Absolutely, I planned on taking the camera and flashlight. Why single-led though ?
    ( the 1.4G is already out, I think you're thinking about a 1.8G, which is what I was talking about too )

A single-LED flashlight is very close to a point source of light, and it easily shows any haze internal to the lens. Sunlight, and other broad light sources, do not show the internal light scatter as well, and you can miss the problems of internal diffusion/dispersion.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    to the root of your issue..how much is great bokeh vs decent bokeh worth it to you? If you do a lot of protraits then it the 1.4 is easily worth it,
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2011
    I understand ziggy, than you. Apart from dust, what should I be looking for inside the lens ?
    Qarik, I mostly shoot portraits. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2011
    Davidoff wrote: »
    I understand ziggy, than you. Apart from dust, what should I be looking for inside the lens ? ...
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    ... check for internal fungus/mold/mildew by shining through the lens. ...)

Internal fungus/mold/mildew can be caused by improper storage of the lens or even a single exposure to rain, followed by prolonged storage in a camera bag. Internal fungus/mold/mildew will cause either localized or global internal haze during the flashlight test.

Look for the possibility of element separation, caused by lens cement breakdown. I would not expect this in a lens of recent manufacture.

While you are looking through the lens, move the focus and look (and feel) for any hesitation/stutter or sticking. Rack the aperture and look for a sticking diaphragm blade. Look for any visible oil on the diaphragm blades. (There should be none.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2011
    Thank you so much ziggy, if I manage to buy it I'll look out for that.

This is how the lens in question looks:
    Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    I dunno what that is in USD, but it sounds like a great deal to me.

The bottom line is that pretty much EVERY 85mm lens available for Nikon, is a killer lens. It just depends on how heavily that lens weighs into your style as a photographer. If 85mm defines your entire style, then yeah you probably want to spend as much as possible on that lens. If you're just looking to supplement a 2.8 zoom, then maybe the 1.8 is a great choice.

They're all incredibly sharp, and they all have amazing bokeh. To me, the main difference is in the accuracy and quietness of the two new 1.4's, the Nikon 85 AFS-G, and the Sigma 85 EX. They both have the new silent wave / hypersonic AF motor, which is incredibly accurate and consistent. Where the f/1.8 begins to mis-focus in dim light, the f/1.4 AFS-G is just getting started. I can consistently nail perfect sharpness even in light as low as ISO 6400, f/1.4, and 1/90 sec. That's DARK. The Sigma is almost that accurate and consistent, but I haven't tested it enough to know for sure. I'm personally still deciding which 85 to get myself, and I think I might wait and see if Nikon releases a new AFS-G version of the 85 1.8, because if it is accurate enough I might go for it instead. But honestly, if a sweet deal came along on ANY of the current 85's, I'd probably pounce on it.

:-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2011
    The dollar is relatively weak in comparisson, but so you get an idea it sells new for a bit over 1000€ here in Europe.

I agree, I've been needing a tele lens for a while to join my 18-70 and 50 1.8. The 85 1.8, new, is in the 300-400€ range, and is possibly going to get replaced soon. The sigma and the new 85 are much more expensive so I think this is a good compromise between price and quality.

Anyway, I met the seller to try out the lens today. Apart from some touches to the pain on the inside of the ( sweet metal ) hood and tiny specs of dust inside that you sometime also get in new lens, it was really impeccable. The bokeh and sharpness were really impressive even on the lcd. I bought it, my first pro grade lens :D
    Will probably only be able to try it our on Sunday but I'm really liking what I saw so far. Build quality is also much higher than newer lens.
    The only " downside " is that the receipt was from Hong Kong. I know that makes a difference for the Nikon USA warranty but here in Portugal I don't think it will make any difference, and even if it did the warranty has most likely already expired.

Thanks for eveyone's input once again.