Options

What Focal Length For Fixed Landscape Lens?

Tom PotterTom Potter Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited September 1, 2011 in Technique
Hey Guys,

I have the Nikon 18-200mm and the Nikon 12- 24mm lenses. I shoot with the D300.

In the interest of getting top-quality landscape shots, without having to spend TOO much,
which fixed Nikon lens would you buy, to replace the 18-200mm?

Also, having shot landscapes only with the above mentioned lenses, I'm trying to figure out how I
would shoot landscapes with a fixed focal length lens. What I mean is, suppose the overall recommendation is that the fixed lens I should get is a 180mm lens. That lens brings me about 3X closer to my subjects. Often, with the 18-200mm lens, I could focus to the desired length and snap the picture. With the fixed 180mm, often, I would need to walk toward or away from my subject to get the desired image.

So, my basic question is, how does a landscape photographer operate with that fixed lens?
Walk away from or toward the subject, as I stated above? And, that makes perfect sense of course. A simple adjustment of the 18-200mm lens would, of course, be a very simple solution vs having to walk a considerable distance, depending on the shot.

Walking whatever necessary distance to get the appropriate shot with the fixed lens is not a problem. But, I just wonder if there is some other simple solution that I am simply not seeing. Is cropping a viable solution?

I hope I was not too confusing...I appreciate yout input.

Tom :O)
Tom Potter
www.tompotterphotography.com
Email: tom@tompotterphotography.com
Landscape, Nature Photographic Prints For Sale
Focusing On Colorado

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited August 19, 2011
    Hi Tom,

As you have already figured out, prime lenses zoom with your feet, by walking towards, or away, from your subject. SInce the angle of view of a primes does not change as you move toward and away from your subject, your view will be different than just zooming with a zoom, where your angle of view will vary continuously as you zoom.

Generally good prime lenses tend to be optically better than zooms, but the difference between primes and the very best modern zooms continues to diminish. I have and use some of both. I think good camera technique is far more important than what lens one uses.

Not using a tripod, and a cable release, and mirror lock up, will usually have greater effect than whether you use a prime or a zoom.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    Landscapers use such a wide variety of lenses to achieve the look they want....it would be really hard to recommend this or that lens....as pathfinder said a lot of times good technique is better that a certain lens......however take a look at all of you landscapes and see at what focal lenghts they are shot at.....graph it so you can see where each one lies........then decided out of all the images which ones you really tend to like the best and that would be my recommendation........now Primes are usually more expensive...so you just might want to look at the Nikon AIS lenses..yup manual focus but sharp as a tack...of course that means shooting from a tripod as their is no VR on the manual lenses......I have shot some great looking landscapes with 70-200 lenses and 24-70 lenses....you can hdr your landscapes to get more dynamic range, you can stitch more tele shot to get what you want...you can stitch and combine several into hrd(again) to get the perspective and also the dynamic range......digital allows us so much more freedome that I had with film....and waaaay less cost for frames exposed........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited August 20, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Landscapers use such a wide variety of lenses to achieve the look they want....it would be really hard to recommend this or that lens....as pathfinder said a lot of times good technique is better that a certain lens......however take a look at all of you landscapes and see at what focal lenghts they are shot at.....graph it so you can see where each one lies........then decided out of all the images which ones you really tend to like the best and that would be my recommendation........now Primes are usually more expensive...so you just might want to look at the Nikon AIS lenses..yup manual focus but sharp as a tack...of course that means shooting from a tripod as their is no VR on the manual lenses......I have shot some great looking landscapes with 70-200 lenses and 24-70 lenses....you can hdr your landscapes to get more dynamic range, you can stitch more tele shot to get what you want...you can stitch and combine several into hrd(again) to get the perspective and also the dynamic range......digital allows us so much more freedome that I had with film....and waaaay less cost for frames exposed........

Thanks very much guys - much appreciated!
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2011
    Anytime...that is what we're here for.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited August 20, 2011
    For a crop body camera, like the DX based D300, I would suggest starting with a 24 to 35mm fixed prime lens. They are fast, inexpensive, and very sharp. There is no need for autofocus, or auto aperture, or image stabilization for that matter, since most of the time they will be shot from a tripod at stationary, non-moving subjects.

While a 180mm macro lens is a great lens, ( I love mine ) it is not a landscape lens. Most landscapes are shot with normal or wide angle lenses, not telephotos. This statement is a gross generalization, but does have some accuracy none the less.

F2.0 35mm prime lenses are relatively inexpensive, and very lovely. F1.8 50mm lenses are very nice as well, but perhaps a bit long for much landscape work.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2011
    You don't need a prime lens to get good sharp landscapes. When shooting landscapes there will be A LOT of times when you can't move your feet from where you are, get a zoom.
    I shot a lot of landscapes with the 28-75 Tamron and the Tokina 12-24 on the d300, they are plenty sharp. Spend the money you save on a good ball head and tripod.

Now if you are earning a living and are a world class landscape photographer, then your choices for lenses would I am sure be different. I know a lot of them are using the Nikon 14-24...even Canon shooters. It is better than all of the prime lenses in that range...of course filter usage is problematic.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    yeah..there is no really advantage of a prime over zoom for landscape. in fact it is likely to be hindrance in most cases. Just get sigma 10-20mm for little more range or tokina 11-16mm for best optics at reasonable price.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    yeah..there is no really advantage of a prime over zoom for landscape. in fact it is likely to be hindrance in most cases. Just get sigma 10-20mm for little more range or tokina 11-16mm for best optics at reasonable price.

Thank you all - I appreciate the feedback!:D
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado
  • Options
    SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    If you'd like to find out which lens will suite you best, here is a little trick: take both lenses out on several walks/drives/etc. Take shots as you go with only taking the landscape into consideration. Zoom in and out whatever you like as long as you take the photo you think is beautiful. Be very critical and select the only very best in post. Then look at the EXIF for mm and aperture. You'll get an idea of what you need ;-)