Options

#84 Grateful... for a legacy

red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
edited September 2, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
"Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!" - thanks to ghinson for the title suggestion.

#1 B&W:
DSC9457-X2.jpg

#2 Color:
DSC9457-2-X2.jpg

What do you think? I've got more long exposures that show the ghosting crowds at the monument, which might convey gratefulness, better, but I don't think the shots turned out as well.

DSC9534-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    I like #1! Very nice and dramatic!
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    #1 is gorgeous. How about "Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    Thanks Jeromy!

Greg - Thanks for the title suggestion! I think it works very well.

I've been trying to decide between B&W and color, and while I like the color one well, I think the B&W treatment makes more of a statement.
    edited September 1, 2011
    I also like #1, but kinda like #2 better - it looks more sepia than color, which to me looks a touch warmer. Nice shot!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    #1 is gorgeous. How about "Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    I like the B&W. Using the title that was suggested, it really fits.

What is sticking up at the top near his back? I can't figure it out.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2011
    The entire memorial is based around a phrase in Dr. King's "I have a dream" speech -

"I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope, and this is the faith that I go back to the South with.

With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith, we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith, we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day."

The memorial is a massive mountain of stone, carved to represent a mountain of despair. There is a huge chunk pulled forward from the center of it, and that piece is what Dr. King is emerging from. The "stone of hope" hewn from the "mountain of despair". It's actually very effective.

You can see the entire statue in this shot, and one half of the "mountain" in the background. A really long way of answering what's behind Dr. King in my entry shot... can you tell I'm excited about this memorial?

DSC9518-M.jpg
    edited September 2, 2011
    Nice...Number one, I think...I peeked at the memorial back in April during the Cherry blossom festival... it was still under wraps and behind fences...