Options

#84 Gratitude

GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
edited September 2, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is what I'm working on for gratitude. Does one stand out more than the others in terms of theme? Thanks, GP
1. Our Daily Bread
BreadOven2011-08-L.jpg

2. Our Daily Bread
BreadOven2011-08-L.jpg

3. Our Daily Bread
Bread2011-08-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SyphoniusSyphonius Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    For the challenge, I like #1 the best. I immediately recognize the bread and it just clicks right in on the theme. The oven fan is just a little distracting for me but only a little.

I love the last shot overall but don't recognize the bread well enough to get me to the theme.
    Just a hobbyist with never enough time to shoot.
    SmugMug
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    I also like #1, but prefer #3 - I really like the lighting & the bread looks homemade & yummy to me!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    Syphonius wrote: »
    For the challenge, I like #1 the best. I immediately recognize the bread and it just clicks right in on the theme. The oven fan is just a little distracting for me but only a little.

I love the last shot overall but don't recognize the bread well enough to get me to the theme.

I debated about the fan, but was going for a "fresh from the oven" context so left it in. As for the last one, I wasn't sure it was as obvious on theme. Thanks for commenting....GP
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    I also like #1, but prefer #3 - I really like the lighting & the bread looks homemade & yummy to me!

I feel similarly but am concerned that #3 doesn't depict the theme as well. Thanks, GP
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    All three are wonderful and #1 is a fine contender for the challenge. I did see the theme in #3. And I'm wondering how that shot would look if you took it from a wider angle? This would give more context to the image and would make it easier to get everything in focus.
  • Options
    powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    I'm liking 3 if the bread was more in focus. The ribbon around the bread while it's still in the oven confuses me..... Liking the "daily bread" concept.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    richtersl wrote: »
    All three are wonderful and #1 is a fine contender for the challenge. I did see the theme in #3. And I'm wondering how that shot would look if you took it from a wider angle? This would give more context to the image and would make it easier to get everything in focus.

Thank you for your helpful comments. I think I might try a different lens and see about a wider angle and re-shoot #3 as I like the bread & candlelight but wasn't as confident on the theme. GP
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    powder wrote: »
    I'm liking 3 if the bread was more in focus. The ribbon around the bread while it's still in the oven confuses me..... Liking the "daily bread" concept.

I know what you mean about the ribbon being confusing! I guess my thinking was to somehow visually portray the bread as a gift since I wasn't sure a loaf on its own would qualify for the theme. Appreciate your comments. GP
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2011
    I always associate that type of loaf with church services... I'm sure that that distinctive shape alone would evoke memories for a lot of people.

I agree that the ribbon on the bread in the oven is confusing. I like the setup of #3. The candlelight just makes the bread look sooo good, but you lose the distinctive shape again.
    edited September 2, 2011
    I like the first one, but without the ribbon. I really like seeing the oven rack.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2011
    The ribbon makes me scratch my head as well....I think the title would tie the image to the theme very well...