Options

Lighting a vehicle bay for photography

bigsnowdogbigsnowdog Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited September 3, 2011 in Technique
I am needing to augment existing lighting in a 24' x 42' bay in a building so I can do a better job of photographing vehicles and components involved in repair procedures. The ceiling is 12' high, and the current lighting involves a few fluorescent fixtures.

I ponder how much of this I can resolve by simply hanging more fixtures, and also what I might buy as supplementary photo lighting hardware. I would like to accomplish this in economical fashion. The photos are used in print media, and also used to some degree in web applications. Primarily, however, I need images that can support print media. The camera I have is a Canon 40D, and I also have a medium sized Canon removable flash.

What advice can you offer me about how to accomplish my goal? The shots are less likely to involve views of an entire vehicle, though there will be a bit of that. More likely are shots of part of the vehicle, or more closeup views of engine compartments, and suspension or drive train assemblies.

Thank you for your consideration.

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2011
    bigsnowdog wrote: »
    I am needing to augment existing lighting in a 24' x 42' bay in a building so I can do a better job of photographing vehicles and components involved in repair procedures. The ceiling is 12' high, and the current lighting involves a few fluorescent fixtures.

I ponder how much of this I can resolve by simply hanging more fixtures, and also what I might buy as supplementary photo lighting hardware. I would like to accomplish this in economical fashion. The photos are used in print media, and also used to some degree in web applications. Primarily, however, I need images that can support print media. The camera I have is a Canon 40D, and I also have a medium sized Canon removable flash.

What advice can you offer me about how to accomplish my goal? The shots are less likely to involve views of an entire vehicle, though there will be a bit of that. More likely are shots of part of the vehicle, or more closeup views of engine compartments, and suspension or drive train assemblies.

Thank you for your consideration.

You've been doing this. Why not post some examples and let folks look at what you need?

For instance, how about using a tripod and letting ambient light do some more work?
    Or if in an engine compartment, perhaps all you need is a decent portable Shop-light, and tripod?

give some examples if you can.
    tom wise