Options

Cindy Again - Step Away From The Model

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited September 13, 2011 in People
Yet more from the Cindy marathon shoot last week and more advice taken.

ADVICE TAKEN: Put down the 24-105L and step away from the model.:D
As we were starting to lose the light I clipped on the 70-200 f4L IS and stood WAY back. I also compromised with the background and, while I included it, I shot it at f4 and f4.5.

ADVICE TAKEN: Get the flash off camera.
Honestly, I had been doing this already but I heard it on here so often that the OCF 580 EX and Shoot thru umbrella are now standard equipment.

I don't think I've shown a lot of landscape mode lately so here we go.

Click the first image for her full, awesome Model Showcase Gallery.

p904713335-4.jpg

p1033973706-4.jpg

p848645492-4.jpg

p603149418-4.jpg

5. One in portrait orientation
p672127578-4.jpg

6. and, of course my fascination with headshots continues.
p959512926-4.jpg
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    Wow John...Can't find one background in these that distracts!:D

Favorites are one and five. I really like the way the reflection off of the water frames her body and the lines from the ripples point to the subject in one. On five, I would prefer if there wasn't that horizon line going through her head.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    All good but you need to have her actually doing something with her 'loose hand"...in #1- her loose hand (right hand) is just floating beside her head....if had been brought next to left hand much better or sexily laying on her right leg with fingers every so slightly bend over the leg.....

# 3 & 5 ....... do not let the model just touch the hair...go a head and the hand into the underside of the hair so it looks like she is straightening or fluffing the hair......this was advice given to me by now deceased Glamour Photog Peter Gowland about 35yrs ago...

Other than that these are great!!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited September 8, 2011
    ALLLRIGHT. Some more advice to incorporate.

You peole are gonna make me a photographer yet.wings.gif

Thanks all.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    Honestly, most of these still look like on camera flash. Look at the shadows. The only clearly defined shadows are hard and show up as a very narrow strip under her chin. The catchlights are small and right dead center in the pupils. That all points to a (RELATIVELY) small light source coming in directly along the camera axis.

You mention shooting with longer lenses and standing far away. If you had to estimate, how far were you from your model and how far was your flash/umbrella setup from you? It would appear that you had the flash much closer to you and not very far off the axis of the camera. That turns your large, off camera umbrella into a relatively small, on-axis source. The light could be five feet away from you or more but if you're 30 feet from the model then the angle between the light and camera is still very small. If you're using an off camera flash, where you place it (distance wise) should have nothing to do with where you're shooting from. If you want soft light, it needs to be close to your subject, even if you're shooting from 100 feet away. A good rule of thumb is that in order to get soft light, keep your light source at a distance of no more than 1-1.5 times the length of the radius/diagonal of the source. So if you have a 60 inch umbrella you wouldn't want to put it more than 5-7.5 feet from the subject (closer will give you even softer light). Of course, there's nothing wrong with hard light if that's what you want to shoot (bare flash can give great results when used appropriately) but it's still going to be much more flattering/interesting when it has a clear directionality to it, modeling the features of the subject and revealing shape.

Not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to help.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2011
    MORE formulae to write down.headscratch.gif Seriously, thanks. NO WAY you're being a jerk.

I was about 50-60 feet away and the OCF was about halfway between us probably 6-8 feet off to the left. I have a shoot coming up Saturday (barring this eternal rain) and I'll pay with moving it around.
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    MORE formulae to write down.headscratch.gif Seriously, thanks. NO WAY you're being a jerk.

I was about 50-60 feet away and the OCF was about halfway between us probably 6-8 feet off to the left. I have a shoot coming up Saturday (barring this eternal rain) and I'll pay with moving it around.

Ok, well if you'll indulge me for a moment longer...

Let's say you were 60 feet away and the flash was half way between you and 8 feet to the side. You could draw a right triangle and figure out the angle by calculating its tangent... Anyway it was only about 15 degrees to the side, very close to being on-axis. For reference, classic rembrandt lighting is more like 45 degrees off axis. It's also about 45 degrees above the horizontal. To get that lighting pattern from 31 feet away you'd have to have at least a 36 foot tall light stand! Now, I'm not saying that rembrandt lighting is the ideal lighting pattern for everything, but it is a good starting point from which to learn lighting patterns. Even on axis light has it's place, but when you combine it with placing the light at extreme distances the relative size approaches a point source and you get a look very similar to on camera flash. Get that light in close and more to the side (and higher than eye level) and you'll have more flattering shadows/modeling on the face, softer light, and nice big catchlights.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2011
    Thanks again Tim. I have to admit I failed geomettry in EPIC fashion all those years ago. It hasn't come up until now, but it rears it's ugly head 40 years later.

If you'd truly like to see that same OCF so close that I had to keep away from the flare, go visit my Cindy-50mm thread right here. The flash is literally an inch out of frame and less than 2 feet from her.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Number 2! Wow. Great shot. On the headshots, don't forget a long neck always looks elegant. Ask her to relax her shoulders and you'll get that. The trend on headshots right now is to shoot natural light and wide open apertures. Least that's what they're doing in LA where I know a photographer who does headshots and she's booked eight weeks out!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    garratt15agarratt15a Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    No 6 does it for me..Great make up !
  • Options
    0scar990scar99 Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    You're also making your flash work awfully hard positioned way back there, through an umbrella. If it's in closer you can drop the power and get much faster recycle times and more mileage from your batteries.
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2011
    Sorry, I forgot to thank Dog, Garret and, of course, Oscar.

Good point about power and batteries Oscar.