Options

85--Life Ortinified

ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
edited September 10, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
This should be an interesting challenge, since there are two effects Ortin is known for. The motion effect is a spontaneous interplay between light and a slow shutter speed. Never really tried it. Got a feeling that there is something of an art to getting something that is pleasant to look at. Some people look at abstract art and get it, others look and say "huh?" I have a hard time evaluating it.

The Ortin Effect I'm more familiar with is the lightened, blurry effect that used to be tough to do, needing a tripod and multiple exposures, but is now pretty easy with Photoshop. I saved an Action a few years ago, making it to Ortin-ize any pic with one click, just to see how it works.

The hard part is knowing what work. From today...

morning
i-HjPhJ9h-L.jpg

afternoon
i-htLp5bj-L.jpg

evening
i-zkmJFt2-L.jpg
uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
ackdoc.com

Comments

• Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    I like where you're going with these. Personally, I like the first and last shots (the last edging out the first slightly). The comp is what does it for me in the last shot. Simple, smooth pastel colors, and I think the effect plays well to the overall photo.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    I kind of get the first one, but for the last 2, I'm not seeing the Orton effect. Don't take me as a critic, cuz i'm just looking at everyone else's trying to figure out what makes Orton, Orton. Lol!
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Mr. uosuıɥ -- Mr. Orton has an "o" in his name not an "i" mwink.gif

I love the first one btw!
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    Oh.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    :)

Just found an interesting tutorial on the Effect itself:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0106/dw0106-1.html

...and Or-TIN-i-fied sounds better than Or-TON-i-fied, don't you think?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Thanks Greg, I will add that link to the challenge thread for everyone to see. :D
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    Some people look at abstract art and get it, others look and say "huh?" I have a hard time evaluating it.

I'm with you Greg. I have a very difficult time with abstract. Especially in photography. I'm 'black and white' in my need to have subject or a sense of what subject is. #3 from Chris' post in the main thread, is a prime example. Completely abstract, but I have a sense of subject. If you're reading this Chris, beautiful!

I love that you went 'urban' on one of your shots.. (my all time fav car--MGTD.... and by the way... I'm a little concerned on the 'QUOTE--foliage-- UNQUOTE' growing on the right side of the second frame... Laughing.gif )
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2011
    I made a twirly motion one too...

this one with the camera hanging straight down from a kite, with a shutterspeed of 1/8, looking at a beach dune and a cropping of wild rosa rugosa growing off the side of it,

let's call it WINDSPIN...

i-g4Q6Wmn-XL.jpg

...though I have to say, I'm probably going to submit something using the classic OrtOn Effect anyway. Looking all the abstracts is making me want a motion sickness bag.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    #1 and #3 (imo)
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited September 10, 2011
    My favorite of these is #4. On his website, Orton says the latest version of PSE will be coming out this fall with an Orton effect plug-in. I had found Wigget's tutorial while killing time at JFK and am glad that you shared it with everyone!