Options

Orton Test

FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
edited September 11, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Fun stuff. I have this sense that most will go foliage on this challenge. I'm hoping to go 180degrees from that. I also found the site Greg found, and have started testing to see how to process.
Fun stuff. Terrific challenge Sean!

20090925untitled-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Nice Paul! I think after listening to the interview, I'm understanding the technique for the 2 layer style. Basically a blurred out, brightened up duplicate with a multiply blending mode place on top of the original. Learn something new everyday. Lol! :B
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    Aspecto5 wrote: »
    Nice Paul! I think after listening to the interview, I'm understanding the technique for the 2 layer style. Basically a blurred out, brightened up duplicate with a multiply blending mode place on top of the original. Learn something new everyday. Lol! :B

Thanks. I haven't quite played enough to see if it's really two files/images, but it seems to be. I tried to shortcut it this morning, with layers with limited results. Ultimately I ended up with two separate files, one processed, and one raw, then the processed dragged over and blended. It yielded this result, which I like, but could use more omph... :o)
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    I hear ya. I too am wondering how non scenic types of shots will work out with this effect. Glad I'm startin early on this round. :) Good luck in your ventures.
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Good start, but you're right, needs a bit more work.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited September 10, 2011
    Like the concept of this shot. Look forward to seeing what you come up with for your entry!

It was interesting to see that PSE will include an Orton Effect in the new version (according to Orton on his website).
  • Options
    Doubt that I'll get a chance to shoot this (this is from a year ago). But I think I've landed on a tech that I like.

20100805untitled-L.jpg

MuirWoods Reduex--

20090925untitled-L.jpg
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    Although I like the trees a lot, the horse jumping is INCREDIBLE. If there's any chance of shooting something like that.....
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    Ah man, that horsey shot would be a nice entry. No shows going on in your area? :B
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
  • Options
    Thanks kate, thanks nelson.
    that's my daughter, so my hope is to get out of the office early enough this week to shoot a lesson, but I travel midweek, so time is tight...Laughing.gif.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    Yeah - love the horse (and your daughter)! Definitely hits it.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    The horse is awesome. Leave early...it will be worth it!

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    clap.gifclapclap.gif for the horse jumper! The color palette and comp is really effective.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug