Options

Flash discovery

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 12, 2011 in Accessories
As elaborated in this thread, the YN 560 flash I bought for $65 won't work consistently with a Canon multi-flash wireless setup triggered by my STE2 or 7d.

I was going to return it, BUT ... I've just tried it with my s95, and it works perfectly with a single flash via the optical slave mode. I'm thinking for that price maybe it's worth hanging on to - I can use it as a 2nd manual flash when I get some radio triggers (Canon 430ex + YN), or if I ever want to travel light yet with the capability of off camera flash, can use it with the PNS. I suppose I could even use it as an OCF when I have one in the hotshoe too.

Worth it, or should I just send it back? :scratch Thinking out loud.......

Comments

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    As long as it consistently worked OC then I'd keep it. That, or if you really just want something for OCF, go over to KEH.COM and pick up an old Canon 540EZ. It won't do TTL with your camera, but it WILL WORK GREAT as OCF. I have 3 - 580II's now and 2 - 540EZ's. I use the 580's on the camera when I need on camera flash but always use the 540's as Off Camera. The power of the 540EZ, 550EX, 580EX and 580EXII are all within a couple feet of eachother in the guide number ratings.

Oh, the 540EZ will set you back another $30, they run about $90-100 on KEH, but well worth it.

I've only had 1 problem ever with a canon flash and it was my doing. I broke off the wide angle adapter on my 550EX, sent it to CPS who said they no longer have parts.. They replaced it with a brand new 580EXII for $120.. which is what the parts + labor would had run if they did have the available parts.
  • Options
    With the 540s, how do you adjust flash output?

I must admit, despite the bad rap ETTL gets, I find it very reliable and really LIKE being able to use the STE2, but it can be finicky outside so it would be useful to have 2x manual flashes that I could fire with radio triggers for those occasions; I'll admit I haven't used my flashes in manual enough, and I'm sure there'd be alearning curve! That said, setting the power on the YN560 is dead easy to do (it's actually a pretty nice flash, if I'm honest) so I suspect I'd figure it out in due course.... ;)

Cool deal on that 580! Frankly, I very seldom need massive flash power - indoors I shoot in a small space, and even outdoors my 430ex has been plenty of juice. The only reason I could imagine wanting a 5xx series flash is for the added master capability.

More to consider.. :D
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    divamum wrote: »
    With the 540s, how do you adjust flash output? ...

Here is the owner manual for the Canon 540EZ.

www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/lens/Speedlite_540EZ_manual.pdf

While the TTL modes will just yield full pop on a modern camera, you do have very good manual control. You also get some control over beam width with a manual zoom control, which will also vary the flash brightness within the beam.

I am still very pleased with the quality and capabilities of the Sigma EF DG Super series flashes in Canon E-TTL II. They represent very good value with regard to features, output, accuracy and compatibility with other Canon flashes.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Just to clarify: the YN560 is NOT the new, ETTL flash that YN have been trailing and I mentioned about a week ago - this is the current version of their all-manual flash w/built in optical slaves (and nothing else). It's around ~$60, unlike the $149 price tag on the "bells and whistles" version (which is close enough to the price of the Sigma and even a used/refurbed 430ex to make it questionable value).
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    The 540EZ has the same kind of display as the 550EX, 580EX, 580EXII, etc. You can go to manual, set it that way.. Which is what I do when I'm shooting... Mainly bought these for Basketball season... since highschool gyms SUCK! So I use a 540 and 580II set to 1/8 power to light the court on one side...