Options

>> challenge 14, winner! <<

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 21, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
congratulations to dkapp, the winner of dgrin challenge 14, "who are the people in your neigborhood" for the entry, "reflection in the metro."

congratulations also to the finalists, and thank you to everyone for participating in the dgrin challenge!

dkapp, send me a pm and i will tell you how you can claim your prize.

here again are all the finalists, with comments also by me.

damonff, daughter and mother
4814862-S.jpg
damon, i really thought this shot was outstanding. i really am captivated by the intent looks on both the mother and child. a great street scene. my one criticism would be to tone down the toning by half....to make it not so obvious. well done!

ginger, child
4837060-S.jpg
ginger, what can i say? love the photo. i think it was well worthy of being a finalist. probably didn't win due to the presence of the blue-jeaned rear-end, which , unfortunately takes away from the main subject to an extent. i think i want either more or less of the mom. more (is she getting the mail fromt the mailbox?) or less (she's there but not there....)the expression on the young girl is priceless! i would also suggest taking the toning down by 50%, so it's not overpowering.

shakey, any step will do
5080777-S.jpg
shakey, you know i'm a huge fan of street work. this one speaks volumes. my one comment again, would be tone down the toning some. fantastic shot.

dkapp, reflection in the metro
4970295-S.jpg
dkapp, our winner! you've employed two of my favorite elements here, reflections and street work. the expression on the two main characters makes me really think about them....what are they looking at? what are they thinking? lots going on here to keep the veiwer engaged, and that's what i strive for when i make a photograph. i want you to keep looking at it! well done, on all counts.

gypsy an intent artist
4891678-S.jpg
gypsy, a great scene, i really liked this one. i also collect artists. this one shows hard work, skill and care on the part of the artist and photographer. i dig the compo very much. congrats.

gubbs, flowers in rush hour
5086344-S.jpg
gubbs - you took an everyday occurrence and personified it. i like the soft colors, the compo, and the contrast between the main scene and the blown sky. congrats to you, for being bold enough to blowout the sky! we must learn to work with what's given us at the scene, and blue skies with puffy clouds are not there 100% of the time.

sandy, engrossed
5043772-S.jpg
sandy, a lovely portrait and expression. perfect for b&w. my criticism here would be to crop out left and bottom, thus moving the subject over the the left more, and losing that one distracting piece on the left edge.

seemoon, bird
5066439-S.jpg
two great characters here. lots to keep me interested. i like that the bird is staring right at me.

snapapple, manicure
5015929-S.jpg
person in the neighborhood, plus action, nice job snapapple. selective color here though, confuses rather than adds imo. go with all color or b&w, your choice.

davidto, friends
5047201-S.jpg
david, this is a great candid of folks in the neighborhood! love the framing and compo, and you did spot-on a very difficult exposure (lots of range here in this shot). congrats.

Comments

• Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    Congratulations dkapp!!! thumb.gif

And thanks Andy, for all your time and energy!! I really enjoy (learning) photography.
  • Options
    WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    Congrats to ALL!! Glad that decision wasn't up to me!! That was tough!
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    This was a tough competition with some excellent shots. Congratulations everyone!

I'm excited to see what people come up with for the next challenge.

Dave
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    Well deserved win dkapp!bowdown.gif
    And Congrats to everyone who went out and took people shots.clap.gif

Tim
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    dkapp, way to go! A beautiful photo, and one which I am currently incapable of making, so it's a learning experience for me. Excellent stuff.

Without making all you other folks feel bad, 'cause your shots are cool, I really must say that damonff's and ginger's shots stood out for me.

It's amazing how good the shots are when the dust of the entries settles.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2004
    Well done, great picture!thumb.gif
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    Great set!
    Really a wonderful group of photographs last assignment... Congrats to all who were in the final cut, terrific work.

DKapp... Your photo was really worthy of taking the challenge. Wonderful!

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."