Options

DSS85 new images for C&C

tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
edited September 13, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here is the backstory: In September, 2001, I was a cub scout leader. I wanted to do something positive for the boys in the wake of 9/11. I got permission from our town to plant 5 white crepe myrtles at our fire station to honor those who died, those who served in the rubble and those who would live their lives with the memory of that day. The firemen helped those little 8 year olds dig the holes and plant those trees ten years ago, finishing with an impromtu memorial service.

I drove past the fire station this morning and noted how big and beautiful they are in full flower. I stopped at the station, to tell the firemen who serve there the story of the 8 little boys who planted those healing trees. The memory of it had not been passed down through the years and they seemed grateful to hear about it.

With a family that was visiting the station, there was a very cute little girl in her red, white and blue dress sitting on the front bumper of the fire truck. I snapped one frame of her before she climbed down.

Then I took some pictures of the crepe myrtles to send to those boys, who are all freshmen in college now. As I was processing them, I noticed a falling petal on one that reminded me of that awful photo from 9/11 of the person falling to their death from the upper stories.

The third and fourth photos are the roses my husband gave me on my birthday.

Comments and critique on my technique, please.

Thanks, Chris

1 Healing Myrtles
ca-2238-orton-2-M.jpg
2 Freedom child
ca-2225-orton-2-M.jpg

3 Birthday roses
ca2184-orton-2-M.jpg

4 Roses

ca-2223-a-orton-M.jpg
http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
If it's locked... find an open window.

Comments

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    I love all of these... but the little girl... that one's a winner if I ever saw one.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    I'm partial to the Healing Myrtles, myself.... I like the "action" in the shot. Like the story behind it too.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    I also like #1. Gorgeous!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    I'm a fan of #2 first, then #1, then #3 (since I can't resist a rose). But Freedom child is just a lovely shot all the way around and so far would be a unique entry for this theme. Nice composition, good dreamy look and aptly titled. GP
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    The Crepe Myrtle or the little girl....fantastic!
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    Another vote for #1--fantastic!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm torn between #1 and #2. I'll have to toss a coin! It doesn't really matter which one I choose, as I already feel like a winner from learning a new technique!!

chris

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    Lovely shots all. So far, there is more foliage than people in the forum. So maybe that tips it to the girl? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2011
    I really like #1 myself. Great textures for the affect! Beautiful!! thumb.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    I like both #1 and #2. Those who've read this thread know the backstory for #1 which may or may not be a factor for some who expressed a preference for it. I think #2 is a great shot, and I like that it tells the story for you. Not the whole story perhaps, but enough for us to get a sense of innocence and hope for the future.

Loved the backstory for #1, btw. Bravo!

Gretchen
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    I really like #1 best. the falling petal makes that shot. Great timing.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    Thanks for giving me your feedback. it was very hard for me to pick which one to enter. I have entered #1 into the gallery. It holds a lot of meaning for me and it makes sense to share that with others.

I will try to find out who the girl is and give the photo a proper home!

hris