Options

DSS #85 - Some motion, some blur... too many choices

billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
edited September 13, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm just back from four days of indulgence in Las Vegas at the Photoshop World Conference – what a great b-day present from my wife, by the way!. The conference is at Mandalay Bay - all of the motion shots are taken inside the resort where there was lots of great artificial light on the foliage. The blur shots were taken on the drive home from Vegas to San Diego - they were all done with two layers from a single file. Skies were awesome all the way home. If I'd stopped every time I saw great shots, I'd still be on the road a day later...

Kinda leaning toward #1 or #2 for the challenge... but, there seems to be a preference for the soft focus shots over the abstract. Sean's created another fascinating challenge, with new learning at every corner - plus the apples and oranges dilemma of deciding on abstract or concrete subjects. That's what I like about this place :scratch

Comments, suggestions welcome!

110910Photoshop-World-Trip086-L.jpg

110910Photoshop-World-Trip060-L.jpg

110910Photoshop-World-Trip096-L.jpg

110910Photoshop-World-Trip051-L.jpg

110910Photoshop-World-Trip098-L.jpg

110910Photoshop-World-Trip166-L.jpg

110910Photoshop-World-Trip153-L.jpg

110910Photoshop-World-Trip155-L.jpg
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    I really like #7. Nice job!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    I like #1 the best. It has nice drama and balance.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    I think #1 is gorgeous with the hint of shapes, soft colors, and movement. I like the composition of #6 but think #7 makes better use of the Orton effect.

I enjoyed watching some of Michael Orton's videos, finding them very relaxing after a 14+ hours flight from South Africa and then a long wait for transport from JFK. (I also enjoyed the energy communicated in Sean's slideshow!) Even though I've been experimenting with the motion shots, I appreciate both approaches. That's a long way of saying I hope you enter your favorite shot and hope folks appreciate it whether or not they went that direction with their own entries. :D
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    Hi Bill! Glad you had such a fine trip........I think for me, the first has quite a bit of "gut-grab" factor......but the road shot in #6 makes me want to look twice....really draws the viewer in............and demonstrates the dream-like aspect of Orton effects quite well.
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    I think my fave for the Orton effect would have to be #7-really beautiful, then #1 or#2, but also like #6 for the road. GP
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    Loving #7....I would love to go down that dreamy road!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    #4, #6, and #1 in that order for me. Well done.
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2011
    Great shots!! #7 is my favorite of the bunch. I wouldn't change a thing with it! thumb.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    Bill, I love 2 and 4! As always, well done!
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

I'm really enjoying the challenge and seeing the great stuff everyone is putting up for consideration.... That said, I still gonna have a hard time picking an entry.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    My take is, for reasons I cannot explain, I'm not crazy about the Orton Effect on skies. I wonder what 6 or 7 would look like if you overlaid the original, un-Ortonized sky on top, and left the foreground Ortonified? Just thinking. Strong set though.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com