Options

Part Sharpening an Image

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited September 13, 2011 in Technique
This afternoon I took this photo and I was obviously too close to the bottom left hand corner which is out of focus. Is there any way I can sharpen the potion which is out of focus and if so I would really appreciiate the steps to take to achieve this.
Cheers
Bob

Newton-Stewart-080920112-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    The short answer is no. :D

Sam
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    Doesn't really answer your question...but on this one you could crop the bottom of the photo off and straighten it and be good to go.
    This is tough one...once out of focus due to depth of field....kind of tough to make it in focus.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Doesn't really answer your question...but on this one you could crop the bottom of the photo off and straighten it and be good to go.
    This is tough one...once out of focus due to depth of field....kind of tough to make it in focus.

Thanks for that Sam and Zoomer,
    I thought I was asking too much.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Don't confuse sharpening with correcting something that's out of focus. Sharpening is for adding some additional definition to a photo (or area of a photo) that's already in focus. Also, I don't really see a problem with your area that's out of focus. You don't always need the entire photograph to be in focus. Having some bokeh (out of focus area) in the immediate foreground can sometimes help draw the eye in. Anyway, the only real way to correct this is to go back out there, stop down the aperture a bit more (or better yet, use a hyperfocal distance calculator to find the right aperture), and take the photo again. I'd also take this particular photo earlier or later in the day when the light isn't quite so harsh.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    As mentioned, sharpening can only do but so much. The OOF in your foreground doesn't lend itself very well to improvement via sharpening. However, do note that in Photoshop it is actually possible to select a portion of the image, and apply the sharpening (or most other adjustments, too) to ONLY the selected area.

But that being said, IMHO, the pic looks fine as it is; maybe a bit of cropping if the OOF area bothers you.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2011
    Islandcrow wrote: »
    Don't confuse sharpening with correcting something that's out of focus. Sharpening is for adding some additional definition to a photo (or area of a photo) that's already in focus. Also, I don't really see a problem with your area that's out of focus. You don't always need the entire photograph to be in focus. Having some bokeh (out of focus area) in the immediate foreground can sometimes help draw the eye in. Anyway, the only real way to correct this is to go back out there, stop down the aperture a bit more (or better yet, use a hyperfocal distance calculator to find the right aperture), and take the photo again. I'd also take this particular photo earlier or later in the day when the light isn't quite so harsh.

Yes very good advice I really appreciate your reply.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    aj986s wrote: »
    As mentioned, sharpening can only do but so much. The OOF in your foreground doesn't lend itself very well to improvement via sharpening. However, do note that in Photoshop it is actually possible to select a portion of the image, and apply the sharpening (or most other adjustments, too) to ONLY the selected area.

But that being said, IMHO, the pic looks fine as it is; maybe a bit of cropping if the OOF area bothers you.

Thanks for your reply Tony. Where exactly in Photoshop do I click on and what do I do to select part of an image for sharpening for future reference.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    canon400d wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Tony. Where exactly in Photoshop do I click on and what do I do to select part of an image for sharpening for future reference.
    Cheers
    Bob

Learning PS is something that takes time, and experimenting is the best way to get your feet wet. Lots of good books available (I like Scott Kelby's stuff), and lots online too (like Photoshop Cafe).

A variety of tools available for selecting a portion of the image, such as circle, rectangle, or free hand. Also in some versions there a "magnet" tool which follows certain lines/colors, or a magic wand which can select "areas" of similar color. Objective is to "enclose" a selection so that you end up with the "moving" dashed line around it.

Once something is selected, you can utilize a variety of the built in adjustments and filters. In most cases, the change will take place within the "selected" area only. Under "Filters" in the menu for example, you'll find "Sharpen". Some of the menus & features may be different between early and late versions of PS. The less expensive Photoshop Elements also provides you with a lot of the functionality.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2011
    aj986s wrote: »
    Learning PS is something that takes time, and experimenting is the best way to get your feet wet. Lots of good books available (I like Scott Kelby's stuff), and lots online too (like Photoshop Cafe).

A variety of tools available for selecting a portion of the image, such as circle, rectangle, or free hand. Also in some versions there a "magnet" tool which follows certain lines/colors, or a magic wand which can select "areas" of similar color. Objective is to "enclose" a selection so that you end up with the "moving" dashed line around it.

Once something is selected, you can utilize a variety of the built in adjustments and filters. In most cases, the change will take place within the "selected" area only. Under "Filters" in the menu for example, you'll find "Sharpen". Some of the menus & features may be different between early and late versions of PS. The less expensive Photoshop Elements also provides you with a lot of the functionality.

Thanks Tony I have used CS3 and now I am on CS4. You are quite right in what you say it has taken me a very long time to learn and I am still learning but I enjoy the challenge. I think I know what you mean and I normally use the selective tool as I find it the most positive to use. I will try out this part sharpening using the filters and see how I come on.
    Cheers
    Bob