Options

First try at an Orton

TJRidgwayTJRidgway Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited September 14, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've been a little intimidated to join in the challenges so far, but I really like how these pictures look so I figured I'd give it a go.

My first attempt, just fooling around in the back yard. Yes, the grass needs cut (it's St Augustine, and it's about 8" tall).

This is with a 33% OOF blend:
i-G2XbSwK-L.jpg

This is with a 50% OOF blend:
i-33vStG9-L.jpg

This is actually two shots as I wanted to try it the traditional way. However, this turned out to be a real pain as my lens has a HUGE change in FoV as you focus. It's a unit focusing lens and this is not something I had thought of. This made it a bit more difficult and required a bit of cropping and the like.

Let me know what you think! I will be trying to get a few more shots over the next couple of days to play with. I'm not sure I like how these came out, so please give me some pointers!

Comments

• Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    Welcome!
    TJRidgway wrote: »
    I've been a little intimidated to join in the challenges so far, but I really like how these pictures look so I figured I'd give it a go.

My first attempt, just fooling around in the back yard. Yes, the grass needs cut (it's St Augustine, and it's about 8" tall).
    QUOTE]

I don't know if I can give you any pointers, but I'll give it a try. Here's my two images that I used to combine my entry. You can go really out of focus with one of the images, if you want, and still come out with a neat effect. I didn't use the usual multiply blend mode that they say is used with this technique, but I'm thinkin there's probly a lot of exceptions to the rules.

Don't be intimidated to join in with us. There's lots to learn and this is a good place to do it. Usually when you ask for pointers, a lot of seasoned pros chime in. Pretty much a free education, and you'll see that your game improves dramatically. Speaking for myself anyways. Welcome to the challenges! :B
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    Aspecto5 wrote: »
    Don't be intimidated to join in with us. There's lots to learn and this is a good place to do it. Usually when you ask for pointers, a lot of seasoned pros chime in. Pretty much a free education, and you'll see that your game improves dramatically. Speaking for myself anyways. Welcome to the challenges! :B

15524779-Ti.gif

This is a really nice group of people... looking to learn, to create, to be inspired. Jump in and have fun. It's amazing to see the learning and improving that goes on here. Welcome!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    Welcome. This challenge may feel more confortable for you if you look at some of your favorite shots from the past. Try the Orton Effect on a few of them to get a feel for which types of photos are enhanced by the effect. Then go reshoot those subjects or something similar.

Don't be shy. People here are nice and they will offer constructive help.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    Aspecto5 wrote: »
    Here's my two images that I used to combine my entry. :B

Oooo didn't occur to me that we'd have to use an EXIF for the blurred shot too. Thanks for that!

TJ - I felt the same way when I first started. I felt like I had no right to compete here. But I have actually made Top 5 a few times and find this to be very challenging and fun. My kids are grown and I finally have a little 'me' time, so this is what I do with it. I've learned a lot and sometimes I see a new challenge and think "I can't do that"! Most of the time, I find that I can.

As for your shots, I don't think you've quite achieved the effect yet. Also, I'd look for something a little more aesthetically pleasing.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    TJRidgway, welcome to the world of dgrin and these challenges! It's a great way to nurture your photography by trying new things and getting input from others. I focused on the motion shots so I have no tips on technique but wanted to give you a warm welcome.

Gretchen
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    Welcome! If you're looking for positive constructive criticism, you've come to a great place! I've been participating in the challenges for well over a year now and can't believe how much I've learned.
    This is what I think about your images: the image is altogether way too busy....and the wall itself is a bit sloppy. The rose itself is gorgeous and it'd be quite interesting to see what else you could work out with a closer view of the rose.
  • Options
    TJRidgwayTJRidgway Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    Thanks for the replies all!

This is one of those pictures that looked better in my head than when I took it. I'm sure we've all had those.

I have a few older pictures I will be trying the effect on, and I think I have one in particular it will work well on.

I will be looking for a few more good shots this week to test this out on.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2011
    I have a few older pictures I will be trying the effect on, and I think I have one in particular it will work well on.

I noticed the reference to trying the effect on older pictures. I'm assuming that your testing out the technique, but also wanted to note that if you're planning on submitting an entry to the challenge, it needs to be taken within the challenge timelines.

And... I like SeascapeS' comment about participation. Hope to see an entry!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug