Options

A different kind of headshot (C&C)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 16, 2011 in People
C&C always welcomed!

Did a marathon shoot with this extraordinary woman this week - her lifetime achievements are jawdropping, and it would be hard to describe just how warm and lovely she is (although hope that comes across in the photos!). Now in her 60's, she's launched into doing some voice-over and video work, and needed some current headshots to use for this - she's friends with a singer for whom I did shots, and that's how she wound up with me.

These were definitely a little different from what I'm usually trying for with my actors/singers. Not only is she more mature (although gorgeous - I hope I look like that when I'm 60-something!), but she's also involved in academic and philanthropic work as well as this trip into medialand; also, some of the video stuff she's been doing has been more in "corporate" than "actor" mode, so she needed some looks that would reflect something professional as well as a more typical media shot.

I can honestly say I think I had more technically sound shots in this shoot than I have ever had. Whether it was the nice bright day or just that I'm finally gettin' my groove on I'm not sure, but I can't remember the last time I had so many shots that were almost useable SOOC!

Also, I finally - FINALLY - figured out how to use HSS on the ste2 (I feel like such a moron - I've tried and tried to make it work before, but was always pushing the button on the flash to no avail ... because I HAD NEVER NOTICED the "hss" button on the ste2 :bash). Also, the two strip boxes are MAGICAL in my small space. Nikolai told me an aeon ago that in small rooms it was all about controlling spill and to use *smaller* light sources; at the time, while I didn't doubt him, I couldn't quite see what he meant but I sure do now! Because these boxes are so narrow (only about 7" wide), I can keep light where I want it. That's not to say I don't love some of my more wraparound modifiers - the Photek remains my favorite - but it sure is nice to be able to control the light and actually know what I'm going to see from shot to shot :D

Anyway, without further ado, some unretouched shots from the first cull.

I wanted her to have some more casual outdoor shots - the 85 1.8 got a workout for the first time in a while; I'd forgotten just how good it can be! These were my favorites from the shoot - there's just frame after frame of these and I like 'em all :D

i-g8nnx2q-L.jpg

2. We then did some indoor natlight+fill, still aiming for a slightly casual feel

i-fDKkbJJ-L.jpg

3 We then moved on to a more "academic" look. By backing out the front door (!) the 135L had a chance to shine, too. I'm really proud of having figured out how to use the bookshelves as an effective backdrop for this (they're less than 4ft behind her!), as well as "faking" an ambient light feel - this is 100% flash (2x stripoxes) and, although the open front door might have contributed a bit of ambient, I was shooting at 1/200, so probably not all that much.

i-VgpjRKc-L.jpg

4. A switch to a jacket and something a little more corporate in feel. This one has had some retouching - the background was weird at the bottom so I took it into PS to clone that and did a quickie retouch while I was there (too much? not enough?). Now I see it in here the shot probably needs a little more contrast, but that's ok - I haven't even uploaded proofs yet, much less finished images!

i-cBh3VpX-L.jpg

5. And lastly, at her request, a black-on-black shot. ROCK ON STRIPBOXES! This has always tricky in my space, because it's so hard to put a hairlight where it's needed, but now? I can do it. I'm not sure I like this look for her - seems a little hard - but she really liked them when we chimped so we did a few; I'll work them up a bit before the proofs go up.

i-McSG55L-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    codyjbennettcodyjbennett Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2011
    I'll be curious about the final product; you mentioned some of these were straight out of camera.

My thoughts, in order of occurrence:
    * Wow, she is gorgeous for 60.
    * Will post be used to reduce the appearance of (not remove) some of the wrinkles?
    * On 2, the vertical line in the background is a tad distracting; not enough detail to distinguish, so it just draws my eyes slightly.
    * On 3, I love the bookcase backdrop to set the academic feel.
    * Great variety.
    * I like the black on black shot too. I think I'd be interested to see the difference of a larger font light to see how the catch-lights appear in larger form, and to allow a bit more light to wrap her face just a tad more.

Great job!
  • Options
    She's actually 63, I believe - gorgeous indeed! I think part of it is her human warmth - I can't remember the last time I met somebody as compassionate, wise, perceptive and just plain interesting as this woman :)

None of these are 100% SOOC - I shoot raw, so they've had a bit of processing done, but not huge amounts (tweaking contrast and such), and only 4 has had any serious editing. Yes, final edits will retouch wrinkles etc - once she's selected from her proofs, I'll work on those images in detail. I also need to get a feel for how much she does or doesn't want done to wrinkles, which we can decide at that time too.

Thanks for the comments!
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    All great! Glad you found a technique that worked for you and her. Nicely done!
    tom wise
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    Good stuff, I really like #2 quite abit then #4.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    This woman reminds me very much of Jean Stapelton. (sp?)

Two is my absolute favorite. It really captures her warmth.

I think the black on black would work better with a little less dramatic lighting.

One is a tad "squinty" for me.

I like the look that the fringe of her jacket provides at the bottom of the portrait in number four. Her expression, eye contact and head tilt is engaging too!
  • Options
    Thanks all - kind words much appreciated!

Seems like 2 is the winner of these for most of you - I may work it up a bit and see what y'all think about retouching; I suspect there will be a very fine line between "looks great" and "way too much", so will be relying on all of our expert eyes to help me get it right thumb.gif

I really liked the idea I had in mind for 4 when I was shooting it, but nearly kicked myself when I realised I'd shot it at 35mm! Fortunately, although it is a little wide, I think I just managed to get away with it. :whew

Still have a TON of shots to go through to cull to her proofs - I want to get them online by the weekend hopefully; we'll see....
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    great stuff diva..a nice variety. My only nit is just touch too much specula highlights in 4 is all.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2011
    Wow - Qarik - I feel all warm and fuzzy that you like them since you're our resident straight-talkin', pull-no-punches guy!!! rolleyes1.gifiloveyou.gif

Where are you seeing specular higlights in #4 - only ones showing on my monitors are on her shiny lipstick (or did you mean #1 with all the high noon sunlight coming through the trees behind her?)
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    Whoa! wow, sooc? wonderful wonderful job!! I have also been experiencing a little of that myself lately.
    This indeed looks very much like the lady you have described, you captured it and in several ways. Not loving the last one, but I hear ya! KUDOS for awesome SOOC in totally different settings. That woman is very lucky she had a friend that recommended YOU to take the shots!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    These are most excellent! Although it may not be feasable for the purpose of these images, I would love to see them with minimal cosmetic work. There is so much character in that face! Possibly the last one is the only one that isn't flattering in the shadow dept. I forget if you use Photoshop. If so, you may want to try the patch tool on a dup layer. I've recently rediscovered it and am amazed at how good a job it does at removing certain lines, wrinkles and stray hairs (as long as you dont get too close to a dark, contrasting area.) Again, very, very nice.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    divamum wrote: »
    Wow - Qarik - I feel all warm and fuzzy that you like them since you're our resident straight-talkin', pull-no-punches guy!!! rolleyes1.gifiloveyou.gif

Where are you seeing specular higlights in #4 - only ones showing on my monitors are on her shiny lipstick (or did you mean #1 with all the high noon sunlight coming through the trees behind her?)

haha..I didn't know I had a rep here! uhh..upon recounting, I was referring shot #3 (pink top), not #4.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    Dangggg! Nice stuff, Miss Diva!!!! Very impressed! Love them all, except #4, she just looks uncomfortable (the body? the hands? the too angled head??? I can't point it out, but I just don't feel that one).

Nice stuff!