Options

Softboxes - To Grid or not to Grid, that is the question

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited September 16, 2011 in Technique
What factors go into if you use the grid in your softbox or not? I haven't used it yet. Does the grid make a significant impact on directing the light or is it still diffused a lot?

I have a team basketball shoot that I am going to do and we are going to have the shoot in the gym with the lights off. There will be 12 players at mid-court. I will have (2) White Lightning 1800s with 3'x4' softboxes as the main light in front and I will have (2) SB-800s providing lighting in the back to try to control shadows.

For this application, should I not use the grids? Are grids more for a single subject and not for a group this large?

Thanks,

MD
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2011
    Grids control spillage.
    Not knowing how you plan to arrange the team, I can't comment on if they will hinder or benefit your shoot.... Gut says they'll hinder.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited September 15, 2011
    I think grids are more useful for softboxes used very tight ( just outside the frame ) to the subject, to control the spill of light off of the subject.

You have not listed exactly how many players you are talking about - 4 or 5 close together, or a whole team of 15-20 spread out.

If you are shooting a large group of people, I doubt a grid will serve much function once the softbox is 8-10 feet ( or even less ) from the subjects.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2011
    With the lights in front and raised and pointing slightly down
    (just slightly higher than the tallest player or coach) it should
    drive the shadows to the floor and behind the subjects of the photo.
    It could very well be that you do not need the sb800's at all.

I would not bother with grids......but then I bought softboxes that
    will not accommodate grids, so I have never used them ... ... ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2011
    I don't think it's a good idea to use lighting equipment when you don't know how they affect the light. I think it would be a good idea to test the lights in the gym to see how the grids act and how you want to light the background. If you can't go in early to set your lights, the school would probably let you go in another time if you tell them you have something that might make a better picture but you want to see what it's going to do, first. It might be sort of a pain in the neck to set up for just a test, but you'd be able to take as much time as you want to get the lighting the way you want it, without having to deal with people who might get impatient. An idea for one of the 800s is to rig it overhead, to make a hair light; but if you do, make sure you shade your lens from the light.