Options

Polar Bears from Seal River Canada Part I

holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited September 17, 2011 in Wildlife

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 31, 2011
    Awesome. The clarity and quality of the shots makes them look like zoo shots, but I know they're not (judging from the EXIF which you kindly included.) It seems a bit incongruous to see polar bears in fields with flowers and no snow. Beautiful, but different. Love the splash of color from the flowers. Congrats. You must be very pleased.
  • Options
    Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    It seems a bit incongruous to see polar bears in fields with flowers and no snow. Beautiful, but different.

I think this might be a problem for the bears...saw some programmes about the fact that the polar regions are receding and the usual hunting grounds of these bears are changing. Also, the polar ice is melting quicker and earlier each year which cuts off their route to the feeding grounds. I'm not an environmentalist, however, just repeating what i watched on the TV.

As for the shots, they are great! 5 and 6 are my favourites, and the last close up is great too. Was wondering how close you were, but the EXIF says 1100mm, so you were a fair distance. What lens was that, then?

Great shots. Thanks for sharing them.
  • Options
    WossaWossa Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Wow, simply stunning. congrats.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    there is some misconceptions about polar bears and their lives and the habitats they occur. i partly blame this on all of the global warming the ice is melting folks.

polar bears do encounter areas that are not frozen 24/7 365 days a year. these polar bears are in what's called a "walking hibernation." they just kinda hang out until the ice comes...which will be soon enough.

the hudson bay will be covered w/ ice and then the polar bears can move on and do their hunting.

but yes, in the summer months, they can be found in semi warm (40-65 degree weather) where flowers bloom. interestingly enough, we also found a couple of wood frogs. they are active in the warmer months, then freeze solid in the winter months, only to thaw back out.

for more info on the trip that i took....check out http://www.churchillwild.org i did the bears, belugas and birds trip. if you are interested in one of these trips, i think the mothers and cubs may be the best bet.
  • Options
    Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    holzphoto wrote: »
    there is some misconceptions about polar bears and their lives and the habitats they occur. i partly blame this on all of the global warming the ice is melting folks.

polar bears do encounter areas that are not frozen 24/7 365 days a year. these polar bears are in what's called a "walking hibernation." they just kinda hang out until the ice comes...which will be soon enough.

the hudson bay will be covered w/ ice and then the polar bears can move on and do their hunting.

but yes, in the summer months, they can be found in semi warm (40-65 degree weather) where flowers bloom. interestingly enough, we also found a couple of wood frogs. they are active in the warmer months, then freeze solid in the winter months, only to thaw back out.

for more info on the trip that i took....check out http://www.churchillwild.org i did the bears, belugas and birds trip. if you are interested in one of these trips, i think the mothers and cubs may be the best bet.

Thanks for the info...I thought that global warming was having an effect, and that polar bears were not always living in white wastelands. I will check that link...thanks.
  • Options
    Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Awesum captures and a great series.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    personally i have issues w/ the whole global/man made warming theories, but what they are saying is the earth is heating up and the ice is coming later and later and leaving earlier and earlier which means the bears can't hunt the seals like they use to or need to.

but in the warmer months, this is the type of environment that the polar bears live in, they aren't nec. on the ice 24/7 - 365.
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Jason:

This is a well presented series. The clarity, color & contrast are phenomenal. Well done!
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    SyphoniusSyphonius Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Wonderful detail and clarity. I second the question about which lens this was.
    Just a hobbyist with never enough time to shoot.
    SmugMug
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    75% of the shots i took were w/ the 800mm 5.6. i also used the 1.4x iii on there some as well. camera was mostly 1d iv.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    I envy you the opportunity to capture these subjects. You really made the most out of your opportunity. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    IntrepidBerkeleyExplorerIntrepidBerkeleyExplorer Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2011
    You obviously found an alternative to Churchill, Manitoba, where I photographed Polar Bears over a decade ago. The bears in both places are waiting for Hudson Bay to freeze so they can go out on the ice and hunt for seals.

Wonderful images of the bears, and a far more colorful area in Seal River than Churchill.

Dave
  • Options
    Raina.RaeRaina.Rae Registered Users Posts: 205 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2011
    Love the first one and the thrid one.
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2011
    Wow! Nice set of images. Both content and technicals are excellent. Nicely done thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    GaleGale Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2011
    Beautifully captured
    Thanks for sharing
    Best Regards
    Gale

www.pbase.com/techwish
  • Options
    Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
  • Options
    TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    Awesome. Love the sleeper #3 and the eyes and foliage in the last image. All of them are very good, though.
  • Options
    RocketlilyRocketlily Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2011
    Wonderful series. Very refreshing to see a polar bear with the green grass and flowers.
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2011
    fantastic captures
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    byoshibyoshi Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2011
    Love the third capture, thanks for sharing
    Landscape and Nature photography
    site - http://www.bay-photography.com/