Options

Orton Trials and Tribulations

sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited September 19, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hmmmmmm........well, this has certainly been interesting! Some of these are made from layered images and some are with an Orton effect filter in Gimp.....bet you can't tell which ones are computer-generated from one image! I can't........I have to look back and review the files to tell. That in itself is an interesting lesson.
Anyway, what do you think? Looks like we've already got quite a few flower entries, so I don't know if any of these will hold their own or not. I have a few other ideas on the back burner, now that I have a better understanding of how to make the effect work.........
1. sunflowersfenceortonfilterps-M.jpg

2. Same set of photos, layered and processed in a different manner:
sunflowers2creamorton-M.jpg

3. sunflowerpeachsingledownps-M.jpg

4. cosmoscornerortonps-M.jpg

5. cosmosmixortonps-M.jpg

6. sunflowerslayerortonfilterps-M.jpg

7. ortonredsunflower-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    1, 2 and 4 are my favorites. You did a great job with the comp and the effect!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited September 11, 2011
    Loving #1 and #4. Great job!

Edit: Just realized that I had the numbers confused. It is !1 and #5 that are my favorites, partly in consideration of what has already been entered....
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    Number 2 is definitely my top pick! Something about the curves of the three most prominent stems and the position of the flowers really catches my attention. The Orton effect works well and (for my taste) the more saturated version creates a more intense response than the others. FWIW, Number 6 is my second choice.

Nice work!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    Thanks for the good feedback! I think I'll look at them with fresh eyes in a day or so and see what I think then. My initial favorite is number 6 because I find the composition fresh, but the colors might be too odd for most people's palettes...even though I like them quite a bit.

Bill, you mention "form." One of the things I'm taking from this challenge is that interesting organic form in the backbone of quite a few of the best Orton effect images I've seen. Because the process washes out the background, the subject's form is greatly enhanced.
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    #2 and #5--I LOVE them. Wonderful, all!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    Nice set! #5 and #6 for me.
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    I like #6... and it doesn't hurt that sunflowers are my favorite! :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2011
    Fantastic shots! I really like #5. Everything about it works for me and the affect is spot on IMO! thumb.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2011
    Wow! Interesting how we all gravitate towards different images.......and again, thank you all for the feedback. Such a positive environment here!
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2011
    I like the painting effect of 4
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    #6 is my favorite. Well done with the processing.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    Love #5. I tend to like the brighter shots. You did really well with the effect!
    edited September 18, 2011
    Thanks to you all! This sure has been fun! I've got a few more to consider.......there are so many florals posted this time around that I'm waffling.....I'll start another thread.....
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2011
    those are all lovely