Smart Gallery rules limit

DMattDMatt Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited August 22, 2012 in SmugMug Support
Hello!
I want to create smart gallery for friends. I like idea that photos are automatically sorted in those gallerys whenever I ad some with those keywords to Smugmug.

I create it and then set rules. Each rule is name of one member of that family (keyword). And when there are more than 5 family members or I want to add as keyword their city of living, I'm on the limit. Any idea how to do this?

Comments

• GloriousnseGloriousnse Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited September 20, 2011
    I would suggest if it's a problem then add a custom keyword that only relates to the gallery you want to create, and doesn't relate to being found by searches or anything else.

Lets say you wanted to create an album for the Smith family in Seattle, then tag all photo's of them with something like "smithfamilyseattle" and you only have to search on one term instead of "john smith" and "carla smith" and "tommy smith" and "katie smith" and "seattle".

It might be a pain to add that to existing images, but remembering to add that to photo's when you add them isn't hard providing you use the same format.

Ref adding the new tag to the existing ones you should also be able to set up a temporary smart gallery - searching on "smith" and then use the rules at the top to bulk-tag all the correct images you want with that tag.
    or I want to add as keyword their city of living

Trouble is that would include any photo's you tagged with that city name, whether there were family members in the shot or not?
  • DMattDMatt Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 20, 2011
    It's a good suggestion, tnx. Altho, a lot of work for pictures already in gallery. I have all photos keyworded with persons names. Biggest problem is "only" 5 rules if family has more members. Even if I don't use city.
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2011
    Can you make Smart Galleries of Smart Galleries? headscratch.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »

Seems to work just fine for me.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2011
    DMatt wrote: »
    Any idea how to do this?
    SamirD wrote: »
    Seems to work just fine for me.
    So using this idea of smart galleries within smart galleries, you can add keywords to the limit on one smart gallery and then use another one to narrow it down further. Unless I'm missing something and narrowing isn't the issue. headscratch.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited September 26, 2011
    Samir, I didn't try any keyword rules. All I tried was a gallery rule on the second smart gallery to include all photos from that first smart gallery. Sorry if I missed the point of the thread as I just replied to your post.

So I tested further and created a smart gallery that had two rules - one gallery rule taking photos from another smart gallery and another rule for just one keyword. Works just fine as well. The resulting smart gallery only displayed photos from the first smart gallery that had the keyword I defined in the keyword rule. Of course, you need to toggle the option to match all rules.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • action-imagesaction-images Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 9, 2012
    I just started using the smart gallery and hit the 5 rule limit right away. Are there plans to remove this limit? The multidimensional aspect of correct keyword tagging directly invalidates the 5 rule limit, as mentioned in the post above. Smugmug even realizes this when using the keyword selection, and then the further refinement of the selection by adding (+) or removing (-) other keywords included in the selected pictures. In my quick test there can be more than a chain of 5 keywords when selecting pictures that way, which is like a smart gallery on the fly. It would be nice if that feature was extended to smart galleries with more permanence. Thanks. (ps. the smart gallery of smart galleries would hit the same 5 limit so that isn't the right approach).
  • synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2012
    In addition to removing the 5 rule limit, how about adding some logic, such as being able to say "Seattle" or "Olympia"?

I want to get things out of three galleries that have the keyword "public". This is impossible within the structure now present: "Any" will not work because it will ignore the "public" keyword and simply grab everything from all the galleries. "All" doesn't work because none of the images are in all three galleries.

I will use the workaround of an intermediate smart gallery, but now I've got yet another unlisted gallery.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
    edited August 8, 2012
    synature wrote: »
    In addition to removing the 5 rule limit, how about adding some logic, such as being able to say "Seattle" or "Olympia"?

I want to get things out of three galleries that have the keyword "public". This is impossible within the structure now present: "Any" will not work because it will ignore the "public" keyword and simply grab everything from all the galleries. "All" doesn't work because none of the images are in all three galleries.

I will use the workaround of an intermediate smart gallery, but now I've got yet another unlisted gallery.
    You could try it the other way around by keywording all the photos you don't want to be included with something like "private". That should enable you to set up these rules
    include - seattle
    include - olympia
    exclude - private
    match rule: any

The system internally generates 2 separate sets - one for include and one for exclude rules and then combines both into the smart gallery.

To see if the above works for you, I suggest you try it with a smaller set of photos first.

In regards for feature suggestions, you could go to the SmugMug feedback pages and add them there.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • DesptachesGalleryDesptachesGallery Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2012
    Good to know - smart galleries on smart galleries - could be useful for us. Thanks fellow SM'rs
  • TimLind53TimLind53 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    I've run into an issue with the Smart Gallery image limit when creating a Smart Gallery for my sons. I have more than 1,000 images and video clips for each of them.
    If the limit can not be increased can you at least provide Boolean Logic to the rules? That way I could create a Smart Gallery by decades. For a Child1 1980s gallery I could use a keyword of "Child1NameKeyword" AND keyword GE "1980" and LE "1989".
    Or, do you have a better way of doing this?
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2023

I had to split all 1000 photos KW smart galleries into multiple galleries.

example - sandpipers totaled 4482. Did it by years and had to keep each group below 1000.

sandpipers_2008_and_earlier ----- 619
    sandpipers_2009 --------------------- 895
    sandpipers_2010 --------------------- 699
    sandpipers_2011 ---------------------- 695
    sandpipers_2012_14----------------- 892
    sandpipers_2015_up ---------------- 682 4482

See yardbirds at bottom of list.
    https://www.photosbyat.com/keyword

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog