Options

Ding Darling from a kayak

ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
edited September 20, 2011 in Wildlife
A few pictures taken today from a 9 foot kayak with a 300mm with 1.4 t/c

1. I had a little too much lens here, it was difficult to not clip part of the bird.
RTK0037-L.jpg

2. Allways looking for a nice wing spread, but none today.

RTK0030-L.jpg

3. This guy only let me get 2 shots.
RTK0129-L.jpg

C&C welcome
thanks Robert

Comments

• Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Great shots! I fish a 14' kayak and can't imaging shooting a 300mm from a 9'.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    nice series.
    don't get wet, well at least not the gear :D
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2011
    cbbr wrote: »
    Great shots! I fish a 14' kayak and can't imaging shooting a 300mm from a 9'.[/QUOT
    Thanks Chad, The small kayak is challanging, but go easy to throw in the back of the truck, then launch by myself, There is so much to see at Ding Darling that is missed by standing on the shore.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    I like the perspective you got on those captures. The few times I've bene at Ding Darling I needed my long glass to get any decent images.

I particularly like the night heron capture.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »
    nice series.
    don't get wet, well at least not the gear :D

Thanks Benjamin, Actually the possibility of dunking the camera is very real. i would not do this with a camera, that I relied on for income. i have customized a holster for the lens that keeps everything covered while i am not shooting. I am having a lot of fun with it.
  • Options
    Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Some sweet images, and very nice captures here well done,
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    I like the perspective you got on those captures. The few times I've bene at Ding Darling I needed my long glass to get any decent images.

I particularly like the night heron capture.

Thanks Harry, I agree, Ding Darling does lend itself to a longer lens, but there is so much out there, You will never go home without a few keepers.
  • Options
    leilanimrleilanimr Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    Really nice shots. Especially drawn to the Reddish Egret and Rosette Spoonbill. Many years ago I visited Ding Darling. I messed up my visit by not planning ahead. Hopefully, my next PLANNED visit will be more rewarding.
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    Robert, I think these are great! What is the name of the 3rd bird? Best, Pam
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    Been wanting a Kayak for years to get imagaes like those! I want a Hobie so I can paddle with my feet to keep my hands free. Nice images hope you don't get your gear wet. Last year on an Apostle Isands kayak rental trip my waterproof bag wasn't so waterproof. Off to Canon for repairs, thankfully they fixed it and I had my camera back in just a few days. Canon Professions Services (CPS) ROCKS! Worth the membership for any of you Canon shooters.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2011
    leilanimr wrote: »
    Really nice shots. Especially drawn to the Reddish Egret and Rosette Spoonbill. Many years ago I visited Ding Darling. I messed up my visit by not planning ahead. Hopefully, my next PLANNED visit will be more rewarding.
    Thanks, The Refuge opens at 7:00 am, Low tide in the early may be best.
    Some sweet images, and very nice captures here well done,
    thanks Dennis
    PGM wrote: »
    Robert, I think these are great! What is the name of the 3rd bird? Best, Pam
    Thanks Pam, sorry for the delayed response, I have been offline in the N.C. Mountains for over a week. that is Yellow Crowned Night Heron.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2011
    Been wanting a Kayak for years to get imagaes like those! I want a Hobie so I can paddle with my feet to keep my hands free. Nice images hope you don't get your gear wet. Last year on an Apostle Isands kayak rental trip my waterproof bag wasn't so waterproof. Off to Canon for repairs, thankfully they fixed it and I had my camera back in just a few days. Canon Professions Services (CPS) ROCKS! Worth the membership for any of you Canon shooters.

Thanks Mike,
    Hobie makes a nice Kayak, and hands free would be even better, I like something I can transport by myself, most of my friends have a low tollerance for getting sunburned In a kayak, while I take pictures of birds. :D
  • Options
    leilanimrleilanimr Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2011
    ashrugged wrote: »
    Thanks, The Refuge opens at 7:00 am, Low tide in the early may be best.

Thank you Robert for the info. It will be very helpful when planning my next visit. :D