Options

Street, meet Orton. Orton, meet street.

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited September 23, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok. I'm not sure if I'm going to enter the challenge, but I thought I'd share my experiment from the day. My take on street watercolours.

1)
DS29861-XL.jpg

2)
DS29891-XL.jpg

3)
DS29865-XL.jpg

4)
DS29889-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Interesting implementation; I would have never thought to try it with street shooting. Of the four, I like the last one the best. The red and yellow really bring me into the image.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    My Choice would be between 2 and 4. I am leaning towards 2 color and contrast.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Great stuff!
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Loving #2 & #4 - composition and beautiful watercolor effect. GP
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    #2 has beautiful colors!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    These are really sweet - I really like #2 & #3. Great light - just the right amount of exposure, they each have a great watercolor look! The red in #4 direct center just doesn't do it for me (& I keep thinking big yellow bunny tail - sorry!).
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    I like #4. I could love all of them! i do like the contrasting colors and textures of these.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited September 7, 2011
    These are quite lovely. I am most drawn into #2 and #3. Hope you enter the challenge!

Gretchen
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Great application! I am drawn to the face in #1.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Oh man, I really like #3. There's some real emotion in this set. Great job! :B
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    I would take number 2 and enter it. just the right level of abstract
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2011
    Really appreciate all the feedback. Given there's more than a full week left in the challenge, I'll probably go out and see what else I can get. In any case, it's fun.
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    I like all of them - very cool interpretation and technique!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    RocketlilyRocketlily Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2011
    Great series, really hard to pick a favorite.
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2011
    Thanks for digging this up Rock. I'm still doubtful I'll submit one as I think this is too derivative for the challenge. But it's been fun. Here are a few others I've captured this week. Love having learned something new.

For what it's worth I think I'm going to continue with this combined with something else I'm working on.

5)
    DS29995-XL.jpg

6)
    DS20002-XL.jpg

7)
    DS20010-XL.jpg

8)
    DS20006-XL.jpg

9)
    DS29983-XL.jpg
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    Intriguing stuff - very appealing too! I really like the first one.

You say these are derivative. That (and the images themselves) imply that the effect you've created is not simply the "in-camera" motion, or the dual shot, dual layer technique blur/glow technique. But...

I really like what you've done and I'm curious about just what your processing is. Would you mind sharing your steps?
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    AnjimoAnjimo Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    Very interesting use of orton effect. I love #2 & #4 !

johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    I think these are all stunning, very creative. I had wondered about urban shots, and whether or not they were "Orton enough"? But then the challenge is Orton Inspired, not Copy Orton, so I think these are bang on theme.
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2011
    billseye wrote: »

I really like what you've done and I'm curious about just what your processing is. Would you mind sharing your steps?

This is essentially all done in camera. I've experimented a lot with motion blur both at night and day. But mainly with a static camera position.

What this challenge inspired me to do was to put the camera into motion along with the subjects. All these shots were done in daylight with what I'll call a Landscape shooter's setup. Wide to normal angle lens (17-35 or 24-70) and stacked 8-stop neutral density and polarising filters. The shot I entered was 35mm, 5 secs, f/22, ISO 400. The objective was to get to a 1.5 to 6 second exposure on day lit sidewalks with as much contrast as possible. I also really wanted to avoid light trails as much as possible.

Taking the shot is basically about selecting the setting and waiting for a good subject to walk past and then following them from behind or walking backwards in front. It would certainly be easy enough to take a friend out with you to experiment to your heart's content.

The trick is to keep them essentially in the same spot on the frame for the duration of the exposure which becomes a lot about understanding your focal length and general aiming technique as it's pointless to look through the viewfinder while the mirror's up.

All post was done in Aperture to bring out the colours and textures. Each exposure was different so there's no particular technique for this.

Hope this gives you guys something to play with.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    Thanks for sharing your technique...

These were definitely among the most interesting of the entries... and your explanation just adds another reason for me to consider getting the ND filter(s) I've been lusting after. I really liked the one you entered, and included it in my voting!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    Thank you for telling us how you approached getting these shots. Something else to put on my photography "bucket" list of things to try! I think I need to start a file.... Your entry definitely got my vote!
  • Options
    fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2011
    Great creative result!