Options

Portrait help? Questions

geoles2geoles2 Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited September 23, 2011 in Technique
Hi everyone, I am about to take some homecoming pics this weekend and have a question that I just cant seem to wrap my head around. I have two lenses, 70-200 2.8 and a 28-75 2.8, which would be better for portraits? I have used both before with mixed results, I seem to get better pictures with the 70-200, when I use the other I think its a little sofe but I had the fstop at 2.8.

That is the other question, im thinking it should be about f8?. Lets say I have a couple in front of a lake, with the 70-200 it seems to rock at 2.8 but if i used the other lens then I think I maybe standing back to far for the 2.8 and should probably use f8?

I may just be thinking out loud here lol trying to grasp this, but what do you guys most commonly use, focal length and fstop that is?

thanks, George

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2011
    I shoot portraits with the 70-200 at F4 or F2.8. Gives you a thinner depth of field than the 24-70. I shoot most of my portraits with this lens and usually at the longest mm I can make work.

Also some with the 24-70, again at f4 or f2.8. Usually for portraits where I want more depth of field and plan to include more of the scene.

For me I never go over F4. I like to isolate my subject.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2011
    to keep it simple..portraits..keep it at f/4. For tight headshots keep it at 70mm or greater. Avoid anything near 24mm unless it is a full body shot to avoid perspective distortion.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    to keep it simple..portraits..keep it at f/4. For tight headshots keep it at 70mm or greater. Avoid anything near 24mm unless it is a full body shot to avoid perspective distortion.

+1

if you shoot at f4/f5.6 and you shoot long, that should still give you a really nice creamy background.

the time of day is also important when shooting outdoors. you don't want harsh lights when shooting portraits. nasty shadows