Options

9/16/11 about 1700

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited September 24, 2011 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2011
    Actually, I think I want a title that explains what is going on...ne_nau.gif

Should have saved it for 10/31/11 about 2400 !
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    Nope. No title. Just a wonderfully ambiguous image. I want a ravenous wolf to rush in from the right hand corner of the frame.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    Ben, I really like it. I don't agree with Rainbow about the title. I think ambiguity is one of the things that makes the picture, and a title might reduce the ambiguity.

I do have one beef: On my monitor at least the tone mapping leaves something to be desired. The mid-tones appear compressed. If I had the original copy, which I see you scanned from film, I'd use a couple control points in Viveza to bring up the faces of the women so they'd become more the focal points of the picture. I mention Nik control points because I think it would be very difficult to raise those faces with the dodging brush. I think I'd also do something to raise contrast in the shore vegetation, but I'd have to try it before I could be sure.

But these are nitpicks. A photograph is created when you release the shutter, and what you've created here is very good. When I respond to Rainbow's excellent post on my "critique" thread I'm going to talk a bit about poetry in street photography. This picture has poetry in it. Very nice.
  • Options
    evanlavineevanlavine Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    This is a photo that is really interesting and the moodiness is one that I love in a photo. The triangle formation is pleasing with the leading lines as well. Good eye. As Russ mentioned, not to piggy back, some tonal adjustments will help strengthen minor flaws but in itself a photo I wish I had seen/captured.

Regards,
    Evan
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2011
    rainbow wrote: »
    Actually, I think I want a title that explains what is going on...ne_nau.gif

Should have saved it for 10/31/11 about 2400 !

I'm glad to read that "ambiguity" is felt here, however the title is not, to me at least.

It is the date & time that I captured an image on film after some 35 + years that is in public view
    " " decided to cont. using an RF camera and Film for my street/docu work

In the future I think I'll just use, frame #'s to title Film posts, of course unless something cooler comes to mind :D

Thanks for you comment/time thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    Ben, I really like it. I don't agree with Rainbow about the title. I think ambiguity is one of the things that makes the picture, and a title might reduce the ambiguity.

I do have one beef: On my monitor at least the tone mapping leaves something to be desired. The mid-tones appear compressed. If I had the original copy, which I see you scanned from film, I'd use a couple control points in Viveza to bring up the faces of the women so they'd become more the focal points of the picture. I mention Nik control points because I think it would be very difficult to raise those faces with the dodging brush. I think I'd also do something to raise contrast in the shore vegetation, but I'd have to try it before I could be sure.

But these are nitpicks. A photograph is created when you release the shutter, and what you've created here is very good. When I respond to Rainbow's excellent post on my "critique" thread I'm going to talk a bit about poetry in street photography. This picture has poetry in it. Very nice.
    evanlavine wrote: »
    This is a photo that is really interesting and the moodiness is one that I love in a photo. The triangle formation is pleasing with the leading lines as well. Good eye. As Russ mentioned, not to piggy back, some tonal adjustments will help strengthen minor flaws but in itself a photo I wish I had seen/captured.

Regards,
    Evan

Thanks

B. D. , a ravenous wolf ? :wow a bit extreme but comforting to me mwink.gif

Russ/Evan - I'm at the begining of my Film workflow and still have much to relearn and digest.
    I do use NX2 for my processing so u-point tech is familiar to me and will revisit this one.

Thanks again