Options

Signature Boreder

FishPhotogFishPhotog Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited September 27, 2011 in Finishing School
I am going to be displaying and selling some of my artwork and photos at art festivals here in the near future. I know exactly how I want my work to look but I can't figure out how to do this in photoshop....so I'm hoping someone on here can help! I want my photos to have a white border with my signature in the border but I don't want to change the size of the photo. In other words, when I order a copy of the print with the border signature, I want to be able to order an 8 x 10 without the border being part of the 8 x 10. Any suggestions? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Amanda

Comments

• Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2011
    FishPhotog wrote: »
    when I order a copy of the print with the border signature, I want to be able to order an 8 x 10 without the border being part of the 8 x 10. Any suggestions? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

If the image is 8x10 and it has a border printed outside the image, the print size (image + border) will be larger than 8x10. If you ordered 8x10, the image area would be smaller than 8x10.

sizeg.jpg
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2011
    How will the images be output - inkjet or exposed on say a Frontier?

I would expect an inkjet print to offer almost any size of image area + border.

I would expect a process that exposes to perhaps be more limited in the sizes available, perhaps depending on the service provider.

Stephen Marsh
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2011
    My suggestion is to use an acid free paint pen and sign each print at approx 2" left of lower right corner and 2" up from bottom if you are letting client mat print...if you are mating then sign image after mat is on so signature can be seen and read.....
    If you are dead set on a white border then you need to look at prints offered by your processor and choose one that is as close to final size as you want and then use a paper cutter to trim off any excess....that is the easiest and least expensive way to do it....or if the processor is a pro lab they might, for a price, trim the images to size for you...

Good Luck.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    I interpreted your question a bit differently because you asked how to do this in Photoshop. I think what you are looking to do is expand the "canvas", which would allow you to create a custom size white border around the 8x10 image with room for you to digitally insert your signature? Image > Canvas Size (ALT+CTRL+C) in Photoshop, select the size, direction and canvas color (in this case white). You may need to do it two or more times depending on how you want the final print to look, once for the horizontal extension and one or more for the vertical extension, and will need to know what size frame and mat (if any). For example the standard off the shelf next-size-up frame would be 11x14, so you would extend the canvas 1.5 inches on the sides, and then 2 inches on the top/bottom. To bottom-weight the canvas (to allow for a better layout when including print title or other info, like a gallery print) you would need to do the top and bottom extensions separately, something like 1.5 inches at the top and 2.5 inches at the bottom. You would then be able to add any type layers.

Obviously you would then need to order an 11x14 print, which would fit an 11x14 frame, but the image itself would be 8x10.
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    FishPhotog wrote: »
    I want to be able to order an 8 x 10 without the border being part of the 8 x 10.

I think you need to re-state more carefully what you want. If you order an 8x10 print, the only things visible on the print must lie within that 8x10 frame. If the border isn't within that frame, it won't be printed. eek7.gif

If you want the image to be 8x10 and also want the border to be printed, then you can't order an 8x10 print. You'd have to order a larger print (as Lori suggested and as shown in my diagram).
  • Options
    FishPhotogFishPhotog Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2011
    Thank you all so much for the input you've given! I understand how to do the border on the photo and the issues this brings with printing. I've ordered stuff from www.iprintfromhome.com and they do a great job. I guess I am just trying to figure out the best way to sell some of my prints and include a signature on them. From all of the input you have given, it seems like the best thing to do is just to put a small signature on each print, without adding the border....like the standard Olan Mills shots. I guess I just like the way the prints look when they are framed and have the signature at the bottom in a border/matte look. I'm sorry if I sound completely confusing! I know exactly what I want in my head, i'm just having a hard time translating it to paper!ne_nau.gif Does anyone else sell their photos/paintings at festivals?