Options

Korea 1953

RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
edited September 28, 2011 in Street and Documentary
Since we're posting Asian pictures, here's an historical one from Taegu, Korea, during the Korean war. It needs to be in color for the full impact to come through.

Just discovered that I can only link one picture per post.

Marketplace.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 27, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    Just discovered that I can only link one picture per post.
    You can only attach one pic per post, but you can link to as many as you like. deal.gif
  • Options
    Okay, Richard. I tried to link a second pic and it overwrote the first one. How do you link the second one?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    I'm guessing you forgot to hit enter after the first pic appeared in the edit box.
  • Options
    Yep! That was it. Thanks.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    Yep! That was it. Thanks.

This shot invokes "stoicism" or perhaps just weariness from daily living in time of war. People look hot and tired and no joy is seen anywhere in the frame. Impressive shot from your archives.

(BTW, for other viewers, this should be viewed with RSL's "Vietnam 1965 post")
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2011
    Rainbow, Yes, there was a real difference between the attitude of the people of Taegu at this point in the Korean war and the attitude of the people of Can Tho in the Vietnam delta when I was there. One difference was that Taegu was flooded with refugees from the north. I've attached a picture of refugees living under the bridge. They lived in corrugated steel and cardboard shacks and it gets damned cold in Korea in the winter. A few years before this the war had rolled over Taegu, and the people remembered that fighting. Can Tho, on the other hand, hadn't experienced an invasion, food was plentiful, and life was pretty good for them. Refugees from the north had blended into the local economy.

Under%20the%20Bridge.jpg