Options

#86 - Playing with Monotone

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
edited October 2, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Just starting to get my feet wet with this.... Three variations of the sunset above the building where I work and some shots taken in NYC that are outside the date range. So they are not options for entering but I'm hoping your feedback on all of these will help me figure out what I'm doing with this challenge!

Thank you,
Gretchen

1. Twilight
i-gV4Mnj5-M.jpg

[Edit: removing some images and adding other options later in this thread]

5. Statue of Liberty Selenium [Can't enter this image]
i-nxZmf88-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2011
    Hi Gretchen,

Of the first 3 I like #1 for the fact that I can see the building the best. I like the building being in the shot and the others colors kind of hide it. Overall, I think my favorite is 5. Statue of Liberty Selenium... The color is beautiful and fits, which is the tricky part when working with monotones.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2011
    #6 such an iconic piece of Americana!
    tom wise
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2011
    ah, number 5...... pretty pretty...makes me homesick....
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2011
    I love #5! There's not much going on in the foreground though, so I'd crop it some from the bottom. Since we can manipulate the photo all we want, how about trying out this Ray of Light tutorial on #5?

http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/photo-manipulation/ray-of-light.html
  • Options
    Your input is helping me navigate the new challenge but I will have to come up with something other than the NYC shots as they are from August. I reprocessed those shots to experiment for this challenge.

Donna, I appreciate your input on those first three shots. The rain has finally stopped here - at least for now - and we'll see what else I get.

Thank you all for affirming the Statue of Liberty shots in one way or another. And Linda, thank you for posting the link to the ray of light tutorial. I had come across that before but have never tried it.

Cheers,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Thank you all for affirming the Statue of Liberty shots in one way or another. And Linda, thank you for posting the link to the ray of light tutorial. I had come across that before but have never tried it.

Cheers,
    Gretchen

I've tried it and it works well on some shots but not all. It's a fun effect to play with, though.
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    i like the first shots. i think the cold blue would work with this scene. I'd also play with your conversion to lighten the house to stand out in the shadows.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    i like the first shots. i think the cold blue would work with this scene. I'd also play with your conversion to lighten the house to stand out in the shadows.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I'll look at the first shots again. I may have some other possibilities as well.
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    I like #5 the best. The first 3 are nice as well... but the house seems to get lost.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2011
    #86 - New Shots Playing with Monotone
    Finally had time to play with monotone a bit more. Had visitors on Saturday - grandson and daughter's dogs - and went on a photo shoot Monday. What do you think? Any good options here?

7a. Glencairn Museum (tone mapped)
    i-mTKGQD4-L.jpg

Current Entry is this edit of 7a:
    i-PwGjfCZ-L.jpg

7b. Glencairn Museum (tone mapped with blue filter)
    i-8jSmmZr-L.jpg

8. Cathedral Hill
    i-FN5jdcw-L.jpg

9. At the End of the Day
    i-hsd7hkb-L.jpg

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    7B is my new favorite. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    PrecariousPrecarious Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    I find the off-kilter horizon in #1 unsettling in a good way. It adds a foreboding quality to an otherwise tranquil scene.

#5 is just perfect. Beautiful. Too bad you can't use it.

#11 is equally beautiful.
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2011
    PedalGirl and Precarious, thank you for your input on these!

Heading off to another family wedding tomorrow morning and would love to get more input on these images to help me decide what to enter ne_nau.gif Clouds are looking interesting just now so may try to squeeze in getting a few more shots but not counting on it.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    8a and 9 are my favorites. with #7a close behind. I really love the sky in #9.
  • Options
    Just entered a new edit of 7a Castle on the Hill (Glencairn Museum) after narrowing the options a bit, but welcome further input! (I added this shot to the series of images above.)
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    I'd stick with 8. The trees blocking the building poses issues, but that's difficult to remedy unless you go back and re-do it. I would however tone-map #8 as you did with the other shots to bring out the contrast in the lines. That may make it a stronger piece. :)
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    I'm a fan of #5. I love the cool blue tone and the crisp focus that defines the crown. Very nice.
    The cathedrals are terrific, but I can't get around the trees.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2011
    Froch, how I wish I could enter #5 but it was shot in August :( I included it as an experiment with processing. I have some other shots of the cathedral that may work and also took photos today in Destin, FL...
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2011
    I love #8!!!! The subtle light on the back side of Bryn Athyn draws me in. I would be tempted to dodge that side just a teeny bit to bring that out even more.