Options

Back Alley

bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
edited September 30, 2011 in Street and Documentary
This is the first time I've posted a street scene. I do mostly urban panos. Comments?

i-CxqBwDP-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 28, 2011
    Hmm...selective color isn't too popular around here, as I think the comments will reflect. lol3.gif I'm not dead-set against it, but there needs to be a good aesthetic reason for it. This one is kind of interesting--you chose the greens and oranges (or at least some of them), and the high saturation of these stands out nicely against the rest. Which makes the viewer more likely to explore the scene a bit instead of dismissing it as a homogeneous suburban scene. BUT, that sky is fabulous and would certainly be the star of the show in straight B&W; not so much here as the selective color calls so much attention to itself. The color on the house in the lower right pulls my eye out of the frame--maybe it would work better if you left that part in B&W, dunno.
  • Options
    IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    Unfortunately, in this photo, I think the selective color distracts from the fabulous sky as Richard put it. The monochrome works so well for the sky, I think it would have been better to just leave the whole photo in B&W. Like Richard, I feel my eye is getting pulled away from the most interesting parts of the photo.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    Interesting exercise in painting with Photoshop, but it doesn't have much to do with either photography or street photography. That's my opinion any way, and I'm stickin' to it. ;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    I have to agree with BD. This is a long, long way from street photography, and, standing by itself it's a long long way from photojournalism. It's interesting enough, but what bugs me is what looks like overdone HDR tone mapping. Look at the haloes along the overhead wires.
  • Options
    Good thing I have thick skin. And it looks like I'm in the wrong forum. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    Hi Brian, I really enjoyed looking thru your site, lovely images and I like your processing on them too. :-)
    Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    Yeah, Richard is spot on in letting you know your photo was misplaced. It will be better appreciated elsewhere. On a similar note, I don't do very well in other forums with my "street" bent on photography.

After OrvSal's post, I clicked on your link. I recognized your Milky Way and moon shots immediately, having clicked on it recently -- probably from "Other Cool Shots". I remember how jaw dropping those shots were (and still are...) as are numerous other of your photos. bowdown.gif I hope you make a return trip to this forum with some "street/PJ" shots.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    For the record, I don't think the shot was misplaced, but then perhaps I take a looser approach than some. I'm sorry to see that Brian has removed the image.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody for the wonderful comments of my other works. And I've put the shot back in this post.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    Hey Brian,
    When I saw you posted something, well I had to come and look.
    Rough start to street ey? :)

I won't rehash the other comments, just to say that I agree.

I hope you will post here again, but leave your thick skin on.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Aerialfilm1Aerialfilm1 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    I like it. This image evoked an emotion for me the instant I saw it. There seems to be a reminiscent glow that makes me think of that hour where everyone was at their dinner tables. Soon moms will be yelling at their children to get their homework done and get a bath before bedtime. I'm dying to know what's going in that house.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    I really like the 3D aspect of the image...
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    There's a lot to like about your work/Galleries and even this image.

However after the initial viewing, they just remind of "Black Velvet Paintings", not all your work mind you just maybe those with a heavy PP in my eye.

I guess I'm just a realist when it comes to "Street"

I still like your Roll keep it up ylsuper.gif
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2011
    Hey Brian,
    When I saw you posted something, well I had to come and look.
    Rough start to street ey? :)

I won't rehash the other comments, just to say that I agree.

I hope you will post here again, but leave your thick skin on.

Hey Liz,

Thanks for the encouragement. Ya, I realize this is the wrong forum, but street and PJ IS something that I would love to try my hand at (un-PPd), so I will definitely post in this forum again (once I have street and PJ shots. :D).
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2011
    Aerialfilm1, Scott, and Benjamin,

Thanks for the feedback. It's great that you all saw some aspects that you like. I know some of my work is very "non-traditional", and most people either love it or hate it without any real in-between.

But like I told Liz, I'll definitely repost this forum with street and PJ shots. And I'm sure with the niche powerhouses here, I'll be able to learn a great deal.

bowdown.gif