Missing China Already

damonffdamonff filmPosts: 1,894Registered Users Major grins
edited June 22, 2004 in Holy Macro
Here are some photos I like from my year here. I hope they are all new posts...all taken with my Nikon Coolpix 885...

3228968-L.jpg

2956353-L.jpg

3092190-L.jpg

3232422-L.jpg

2956358-L.jpg

3092194-L.jpg

3269852-L.jpg

3163586-L.jpg

2955866-L.jpg

2971241-L.jpg

2971254-L.jpg

2971224-L.jpg

OK, that's all...just feeling nostalgic...

Comments

  • damonffdamonff film Posts: 1,894Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    People here love everything having to do with the west. One of my students changed his name to Kobe Bryant; KFC and Pizza Hut are the preferred restaurants; it's all about America here and trying to be like it. And capitalism is running rampant...
  • gubbsgubbs Super Moderator Posts: 3,166Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    People here love everything having to do with the west. One of my students changed his name to Kobe Bryant; KFC and Pizza Hut are the preferred restaurants; it's all about America here and trying to be like it. And capitalism is running rampant...
    When are you leaving Damon??
  • ruttrutt Cave canem! Posts: 6,511Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    People here love everything having to do with the west. One of my students changed his name to Kobe Bryant; KFC and Pizza Hut are the preferred restaurants; it's all about America here and trying to be like it. And capitalism is running rampant...
    Damon, after you get home, buy HCB In India and Avedon In the American West. Then think about organizing your wonderful images from China into a book or photo essay or exhibit with catalogue. They deserve to be carefully presented.
    If not now, when?
  • damonffdamonff film Posts: 1,894Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    Hey Gubbs...outta here on July 15th. Trying to eat as much as possible until then...
    gubbs wrote:
    When are you leaving Damon??
  • damonffdamonff film Posts: 1,894Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    I'm going to Borders the day after I get back...on the plane home (over some Jameson's of course) I'm going to start thinking about and organizing the photos. I really need to take this opportunity since China is still so new to the west. I think these photos may help in a small way to open up this place that is seen as so foreign by so many. I have to sift through over 5,000 shots. Eegads!! Thanks for the continued support...I'm excited about the project.
    rutt wrote:
    Damon, after you get home, buy HCB In India and Avedon In the American West. Then think about organizing your wonderful images from China into a book or photo essay or exhibit with catalogue. They deserve to be carefully presented.
  • lynnmalynnma Moddess Emeritus Homosassa, Florida (Paradise)Posts: 5,163Registered Users, Retired Mod
    edited June 21, 2004
    Hi Damon, I feel for you.. I'm going to miss China too through your eyes:cry Hope your integration back into this different culture is'nt too disturbing or difficult.. send more pictures will you?

    Thinking of you.
    Lynnthumb.gif
  • damonffdamonff film Posts: 1,894Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    Of course the pictures will continue in DC!! It'll be nice to go home. Thanks Lynn.
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Damon, I feel for you.. I'm going to miss China too through your eyes:cry Hope your integration back into this different culture is'nt too disturbing or difficult.. send more pictures will you?

    Thinking of you.
    Lynnthumb.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Crazy Creek Babe Posts: 8,416Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    re missing China
    I love the composite. Gives me a different feeling, a good one, a better one, a more complete one (it always was good), a different feeling about your work and about China. I would agree that a book or a collection would be very good. In the meantime safeguard the pictures........... which reminds me to "backup" on my list of "to dos". How do you keep all your photos safe, Damon?
    ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned User Posts: 355Banned Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Damon, after you get home, buy HCB In India and Avedon In the American West. Then think about organizing your wonderful images from China into a book or photo essay or exhibit with catalogue. They deserve to be carefully presented.

    Agree! I would buy the book..so you can make more pictures with your brand new Leica Digilux! :D
  • damonffdamonff film Posts: 1,894Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    Hey Ginger. I have a LaCie 120 gig external hard drive. As a secondary backup, I use cds.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I love the composite. Gives me a different feeling, a good one, a better one, a more complete one (it always was good), a different feeling about your work and about China. I would agree that a book or a collection would be very good. In the meantime safeguard the pictures........... which reminds me to "backup" on my list of "to dos". How do you keep all your photos safe, Damon?
    ginger
  • damonffdamonff film Posts: 1,894Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    Sold! Thanks Simone.
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Agree! I would buy the book..so you can make more pictures with your brand new Leica Digilux! :D
  • WolfWolf Major grins Posts: 154Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Sold! Thanks Simone.
    I'm with Simone, but one other thing Damon, can I carry your camera? Laughing.gif!! This thread of photos was once again just outstanding!! I love your work. Ahhh, something to aspire to!
  • damonffdamonff film Posts: 1,894Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    Hahaha. Thanks Wolf. Glad you like them...Damon
    Wolf wrote:
    I'm with Simone, but one other thing Damon, can I carry your camera? Laughing.gif!! This thread of photos was once again just outstanding!! I love your work. Ahhh, something to aspire to!
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Sea Urchin Posts: 339Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Damon, after you get home, buy HCB In India and Avedon In the American West. Then think about organizing your wonderful images from China into a book or photo essay or exhibit with catalogue. They deserve to be carefully presented.
    You've spoken my mind, Rutt. (Well, except about the HCB in India and Avedon.. have no idea what those are.)
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • damonffdamonff film Posts: 1,894Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 21, 2004
    Thanks again Seamaiden. I'm going out tomorrow to take pictures of the longest suspension bridge in the world, at least that's what I'm told...
    Seamaiden wrote:
    You've spoken my mind, Rutt. (Well, except about the HCB in India and Avedon.. have no idea what those are.)
  • ruttrutt Cave canem! Posts: 6,511Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 22, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    You've spoken my mind, Rutt. (Well, except about the HCB in India and Avedon.. have no idea what those are.)
    These are two books of photos by two of the greatest photographers of all time. "Henri Cartier-Bresson In India" is in print and you can get from Amazon for about $24. If you like Damon's work, you need this book. There is a thread about HCB here.

    IMHO, Cartier-Bresson is the greatest photographer of all time, by far; but this opinion is controversal, of course. Richard Avedon is an amazing and *very* famous photographer. He took the pictures of the Beatles that came inside Sargeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, you know the ultra pschedelic images, Ringo with the dove, etc.

    swimmers_and_ringo.jpg

    He took maybe 6 great pictures of Dylan.

    dylan_and_paul.jpg

    woman_dylan.jpg

    He didn't only take pictues of rock stars. Here is a portrait of Nobel prize winner Betrand Russell:

    4794462-M.jpg

    This book, "In the American West" is also in print and under $30 at amazon new. Its a very intense photography book.
    If not now, when?
  • WolfWolf Major grins Posts: 154Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 22, 2004
    And worth every dollar!
Sign In or Register to comment.