Options

Perfect Resize - 20x30 posters workflow

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited October 1, 2011 in Finishing School
I just bought Perfect Resize Professional Edition 7.0.2.

I make a lot of 20x30 posters for basketball and football. I shoot full frame and my shots are already at a 2x3 ratio. My basketball photos are normally shot portrait and my football are normally shot landscape.

For football I have landscape shots that I want to resize and enlarge and then crop and print out 20 width and 30 height. I can't seem to see how I can crop to 20x30 that goes against the landscape 2x3 ratio in Perfect Resize. Lightroom let's you select your aspect ratio and shift the ratio to be vertical rather than horizontal. I guess I can't do that in Perfect Resize.

I don't want to crop before my Perfect Resize flow or I will lose PPI... So, what should be my process?

1- Go into Lightroom and make exposure adjustments etc.
2- Export to Tiff
3- Enlarge in Perfect Resize
4- Go back into Lightroom and crop so I can get my 20x30

I know that Perfect Resize has a plugin for Lightroom but I guess I don't fully understand how to use this function or the batch processing feature.

Thanks,

MD
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    Here is my Genuine Fractals (I have older version they changed the name to perfect resize with your version) Workflow...I do all LR and Photoshop work except sharpening...all files come from Lr at 300 dpi (close to 8x10 aspect ratio ).....when you get to PR you will need to know how large that landscape image needs to be to uprez and then crop to 20x30 Portrait......Or in Photoshop...go to image->image size and in the pop up change the dpi to 300 or 400 make sure the only box ticked is constrain proportions click ok and then crop to the 2x3 aspect ratio using the crop tool and the 2x3 aspect ratio but do not add anything to the resolution box empty....it will change the dpi from approx 300 to approx 95 but it will be 20x30 inches.....now in Pr just tell it to make the 90something PPI to 300 and it should be great for printing with very little grain (noise) depending on your ISO......

That is how I would do it..... Ofcourse if I was going to make a 20x30 portrait orientated poster out of an image I would shoot in that orientation also...just makes life so much easier..... :~}}

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website