Options

#86 attempts

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited October 3, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was at a fall festival today and these two guys really stood out to me, especially the biker. Now, I am one of those that can never get up the nerve to ask to take someone's picture. For the first guy ! managed to stop and take pictures of every motorcycle there, working my way up to him and got out the words "do you mind?" Now, if I was a brave soul I would have managed several different shots and angles, but I'm not and all I got was this (that I am really liking) and one where he was looking down. The second guy was just shot from the street with a crowd around. He saw me but ignored me. Easy because I didn't have to ask, hard because of the crowd. I really want to get where I can walk up to someone and ask to take their picture without feeling foolish.

ok, after that long winded story, do either of these come anywhere near where I need to be?

DSCN4991-2-L.jpg

DSCN4991-3-L.jpg

DSCN5001-1-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    I usually don't ask. mwink.gif

I like #1 the best. Nice environmental portrait and I like the sepia. There are a few places that look a bit blown out - his forearm, the rings on his left hand. And I wish the tatoo were a bit darker. The fence line and the pole on the left make it look tilted, but the right is straight. Is it distortion or was that the way it was?

With #3, try brightening it a bit. I like his posture and the gaze out of the frame.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    #3 intrigues me I like the comp i think a bit more contrast would give it more punch
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I usually don't ask. mwink.gif

I like #1 the best. Nice environmental portrait and I like the sepia. There are a few places that look a bit blown out - his forearm, the rings on his left hand. And I wish the tatoo were a bit darker. The fence line and the pole on the left make it look tilted, but the right is straight. Is it distortion or was that the way it was?

With #3, try brightening it a bit. I like his posture and the gaze out of the frame.

Thanks to both of you.

I'm not sure, but it is quite possibly tilted a bit. A bad habit of mine for some reason and I am always having to straighten things out. I will take a look at the picture as a whole and see. This is a crop so I should be able to tell. You are right about it being blown out. That afternoon sun was not being friendly. I have some ideas I am going to try and see if I can improve on that.

#3, yes I will try to brightening and also work the contrast like DsrtVW suggested
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    #3 for me. I like the look of concentration that you captured. I would definitely tinker around with the brightness.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2011
    richtersl wrote: »
    #3 for me. I like the look of concentration that you captured. I would definitely tinker around with the brightness.

Thanks Linda!
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2011
    OK, I tried working on both. Do these look any better? I am getting to the point where they are blurring together to me,

#1 I think I have brought out the tattoo a bit more and toned down the blown out spots a little bit. The fence to the left looks to be just leaning a bit when I look at the whole image, but I did straighten it just a tad to try and offset the look some. A lot of it though is just the perspective it is at. I also used a rougher sort of finish to it.

DSCN4991-2-M.jpg into DSCN4991-9-L.jpg
    Larger image

I started from scratch and redid the conversion. I wanted the texture on his clothes to show more. Them I bumped up the contrast quite a bit which darkened the background some and lightened it up a touch to try and make him stand out. I also left it a straight B&W conversion instead of adding any tint.

DSCN5001-1-M.jpg intoDSCN5001-2base-3-L.jpg
    Larger Image
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I like the edited version of #1. He looks like an interesting fellow. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2011
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    I like the edited version of #1. He looks like an interesting fellow. :)

Thanks!