Options

FYI, Washington DC - Washington Monument, Tripod use, updated 9/29/11

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
As of right now, according to the capitol police, tripods are allowed EVERYWHERE in the lincoln memorial, assuming they are new and have rubber feet. He said in the past the problem was the worry of non-rubber tipped tripods damaging the marble. So he said (right in front of the Park Ranger who agreed) that you can use them anywhere... So, long as you are RESPONSIBLE AND NOT BLOCKING THE PUBLIC or making it dangerous for them to be around...

Comments

• Options
    mjordanphotomjordanphoto Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    As of right now, according to the capitol police, tripods are allowed EVERYWHERE in the lincoln memorial, assuming they are new and have rubber feet. He said in the past the problem was the worry of non-rubber tipped tripods damaging the marble. So he said (right in front of the Park Ranger who agreed) that you can use them anywhere... So, long as you are RESPONSIBLE AND NOT BLOCKING THE PUBLIC or making it dangerous for them to be around...
    This is FANTASTIC news! I have a friend coming down in a few weeks and we were thinking about needing to get permits. Do you know if this applies to all the National Monument areas, or was this specific to the Lincoln Memorial?

Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    Lincoln was notorious for not being able to use tripods on the white marble stairs and higher. I was told you can now use them anywhere as long as you aren't causing a hazard for visitors. I don't know of any other restrictions around... I just knew in the past Lincoln was a pain....
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    There are restrictions on tripods in many places there in the Capitol. One guard'll say no, can't do it, the next minute different guards don't notice you. Just change up and move on if confronted.
    tom wise
  • Options
    I've asked 3 capital police (one A.M, one afternoon, one late evening) at Lincoln, each has said long as the tips are rubber and you don't endanger anyone, you are able to use a tripod. So just don't stick it in the middle of the steps where everyone is walking or in front of an entrance and you are fine..
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Um, the thread says Washington Monument, but we're talking about the Lincoln Memorial.