Options

Question Re Composing Wedding Books

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited October 4, 2011 in Weddings
I often think I'd like to get into creating wedding albums, but am wondering - in general, how involved is the wedding couple in the process? Ultimately, I would like to take full artistic control, present the design and make changes if necessary. Or - do you ask the client for a list of favorites and work off of that?

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I try to keep my clients involved with the process. It's their book and these things aren't cheap.

I whip up spreads for them to proof and they have 3 months to say which images stay or go, but the layout will remain the same unless there is need for some change to the layout.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    half of my clients want to pick the photos for their wedding album and half they let me choose the photos. I find that when clients pick the photos, they tend to pick more family photos for their album.
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I tell the clients to make a list of the photos that they would like in the album and I give them a number to shoot for if I already know how many pages the album will be. I also tell them, that I will do my best to get all of their choices in, some may not make the cut and I may add some that they didn't pick. This is done to make the album flow so when someone is looking through the book, it tells a story of the wedding day. They have all been cool with it so far.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2011
    So, it's sort of like the way I do collages: even though I'm only going to use only about 10 images, I have them send me their 50 top picks. These let me know what they like, and gives me enough to work with in terms of vertical/horizontal/bw/color.

Helpful, thanks.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I have the couple picke out some images that are MUST have and I pick the rest. Then after intial design I make edits based on response.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    I have the couple picke out some images that are MUST have and I pick the rest. Then after intial design I make edits based on response.

That sounds right. Thanks.
  • Options
    Sean EalySean Ealy Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    I'd like to ask where you guys are currently purchasing your albums from? Are you making your own prints, or are you going through a professional service like Miller or MedianPro?
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    Sean Ealy wrote: »
    I'd like to ask where you guys are currently purchasing your albums from? Are you making your own prints, or are you going through a professional service like Miller or MedianPro?

i do mine @ Finao and Forbeyon
  • Options
    BlueSkyPhotosBlueSkyPhotos Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    I ask clients to pick their favorites. I give them a limit based on number of pages in the album. I add any images needed to tell a better story. After I design the album, I meet with them for a review and changes. I always ask them to sign off on the final version.

I use Black River Imaging for majority of my albums.
    Jacek
    edited October 4, 2011
    I make a first draft purely on my opinion and then let them change it from there, I like to build the day in my own vision first (since they know the style I create albums already before I begin working on theirs) and then we go from there with revisions based on any images they wanted instead, added, etc. It tends to work pretty well for me to create a vision for them first and then edit from there.

Three rounds of revisions later, this one is done and the client said she's ready to print it. http://www.photography-by-cat.com/Clients/Nicole-Justin/Wedding-Album/19313116_7TQgnG