Options

Warranty?

emilybethemilybeth Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited October 7, 2011 in The Big Picture
Is it recommended to get the warranty when your buying a new dslr? I'm looking into getting my new camera from Best Buy and I know they will try to sell me a warranty plan for my camera and equipment. Can any of you give any insight on why or why not to get the warranty?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    I can't really recommend anything, but might be able to help with some insight. I've read that many appliance and electronics retailers sell with so little profit from what they buy for - consumers tend to base buying choices on price differences of as little as $1.59 - that the way they stay in business is by the money they make on warranty plans. Because warranty plans have become so popular, manufacturers have loosened quality control so they can ship more units off the line; that way, they can sell at lower prices and also can be concerned less by the cost of warranty repairs. A company's reputation (and attraction for people who want to buy good stuff) depends in part on how well their stuff holds up; so their quality control ends up in a place agreed to by the how-much-will-repairs-cost beancounters and the how-much-is-the-company-name-worth beancounters.

headscratch.gif Hopefully, someone knows of some database(s) with specific figures about repair costs related to age and use of equipment.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    emilybeth wrote: »
    Is it recommended to get the warranty when your buying a new dslr? I'm looking into getting my new camera from Best Buy and I know they will try to sell me a warranty plan for my camera and equipment. Can any of you give any insight on why or why not to get the warranty?
    Thanks!

Most new "Anything" comes with a Wtty. And New DSLR's certainly do. I'm talking about a factory Wtty. Some folks do like to purchase extended Wtty.'s, but Consumer reports says extended Wtty.'s are not a good investment.

I have gotten a bad DSLR and killed it within twenty minutes. Buying from a reputable Source is KEY!
    tom wise
  • Options
    emilybethemilybeth Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Most new "Anything" comes with a Wtty. And New DSLR's certainly do. I'm talking about a factory Wtty. Some folks do like to purchase extended Wtty.'s, but Consumer reports says extended Wtty.'s are not a good investment.

I have gotten a bad DSLR and killed it within twenty minutes. Buying from a reputable Source is KEY!

I've been leaning towards not getting one because mostly I think they are just a way for them to add a nice chunk to my total. I know Dave Ramsey and the like say not to do the warranty because it's wasted money. But I thought I'd get some opinions from experienced camera buyers! Thanks!
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2011
    If you're getting it new from best buy, then you'll get the complete camera box. This includes the strap, cables, owner manual, etc. It also includes the Canon warranty card. That's enough for the time being... after the warranty is up, you can buy additional coverage from a 3rd party.

Oh, and this is a little off-topic, but I thought I'd mention it: Best Buy is Worst Buy for cameras. They really overprice their camera kits. If you don't mind buying online, check Adorama.com or BandH.com. Even Costco can have occasional deals.