Options

Help to Polarize or not

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited October 9, 2011 in Technique
Hi all,

so we made it to Montrose Co with our huge trailer, now I'm surrounded by Aspens and fabulous vistas and I'm suddenly not sure whether to use my polorizing filter on the yellow Aspens or not... I know I could try both ways, but I don't want to waste a shot. What say you?? I plan on bracketing every shot... aahhhhh so many beautiful shots, can I get them?:huh
How would you do it.
Thanks
Lynn

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    Lynn,

Using a polarizer would cut down on the reflected light on the leaves and make the color richer and more vibrant. I think it would be a good thing.

Also, I'm going to move this to Technique. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    :D
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Lynn,

Using a polarizer would cut down on the reflected light on the leaves and make the color richer and more vibrant. I think it would be a good thing.

Also, I'm going to move this to Technique. thumb.gif

thanks David. I just needed some agreement on this... I always get all excited and anxious if there's the chance of a great shot for me to screw up :D also, thanks for moving me, for an ex mod I'm very forum challenged ne_nau.gif maybe thats why I'm an ex.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Yes for the polarizer. Normally you don't want to use a polarizer if you plan stitching multiple shots.

But overall polarizers will bring out colors and reduce reflections.

Good luck and post your shots.

Sam
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    You don't have to use a filter. I never do.
    Take some both ways.....enjoy the scenery :).
  • Options
    Thanks Sam and Zoomer,

I'll probably use some and some. It's pretty bright out here right now so I expect it'll depend on time of day and glare factor. I tend to over expose so between bracketing and filter maybe I'll get something?? mwink.gif

thanks for comments.

Lynn
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    If you overexpose set your blinkies to flash on your monitor....adjust exposure as necessary.
    Have fun...be sure and post some of the shots, love the fall color.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    Aspens in the fall just can't be beat, Lynn.

With, or without a polarizer, they will look great! Skies will be darker with a polarizing filter esp. if you are shooting 90 degrees from the suns axis.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Aspensin the fall just can't be beat, Lynn.

WIth or without a polarizer, they will look great! Skies will be darker with a polarizing filter esp. if you are shooting 90 degrees from the suns axis.

Thanks Path, was out for a bit today doing recon and we are a tad early, better than late hey? :D Another few days for the peak.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    lynnma wrote: »
    Thanks Path, was out for a bit today doing recon and we are a tad early, better than late hey? :D Another few days for the peak.

That means it's the perfect time to enjoy the scenery while scouting out locations and setting up comps!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote: »
    That means it's the perfect time to enjoy the scenery while scouting out locations and setting up comps!

so right... this place is sooo beautiful, shots everywhere Aspens or not. Off to recon Aspens tomorrow.clap.gif
  • Options
    Grampa DougGrampa Doug Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2011
    Polarize filters are great, but, circular polarizers with a wide angle lens create uneven skies.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited October 9, 2011
    I'm going to suggest going half way or less on the polarization. It can be very tempting to turn up the polarizer to the point of getting dark blue skies. Polarizers do three things - reduce the light scattering to minimize haze and glare, adds contrast and also intensifies colors. Since Autumn leaves are already vibrant enough, I would go real easy with the polarizer. YPMMV.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky