Options

New PC Careful what ask for

DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
edited October 10, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
My Wife has always been good at listening to what I am wanting. We were talking about Christmas and she was asking what I might want. I was kinda joking around and said I would like a new computer tower with at least 8 GBs RAM and Over a TB of hard drive with windows 7 off the top of my head. My old tower is about 3 years old stilll running XP I was given a 6TB external drive but could not use it on my old machine. So I had been thinking about upgrading.
Chrsitmas came early she came home with this.
hp pavillion elite h8-1010
Specs
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-elite-h8/4507-3118_7-34742562.html?tag=mncol;subnav
Now I usaully do some research on processors before I buy. I have not paid attention in a while to the latest. But this machine looks like it will handle my photo editing needs. I run View NX2 and Capture NX2 and Corel X4. I am planning on using this for Photo editing almost exclusively.

Any wisdom from the group on this chipset and compatibility issue with Win7 64bit.
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    Got to say I think the wifey did good! thumb.gif
    I don't know the intel chips that well as all of my cad cam computers always have AMD.
    On the windows 7 if you are still running xp you (I hate it) might not like the "look" or functionality of widows explorer. When you have the professional edition you can (somehow) run it to look like xp. The one I bought had home premium so it does not have that option. :cry
    Post back after you have some seat time and let me know how you like it.
    Gary
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    it is a 64bit PC

it comes standard with win7 home 64bit

you can check ;
    if you have two program files in C:drive , its 64bit

if not , not , but you can install it
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    My Wife has always been good at listening to what I am wanting. We were talking about Christmas and she was asking what I might want. I was kinda joking around and said I would like a new computer tower with at least 8 GBs RAM and Over a TB of hard drive with windows 7 off the top of my head. My old tower is about 3 years old stilll running XP I was given a 6TB external drive but could not use it on my old machine. So I had been thinking about upgrading.
    Chrsitmas came early she came home with this.
    hp pavillion elite h8-1010
    Specs
    http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-elite-h8/4507-3118_7-34742562.html?tag=mncol;subnav
    Now I usaully do some research on processors before I buy. I have not paid attention in a while to the latest. But this machine looks like it will handle my photo editing needs. I run View NX2 and Capture NX2 and Corel X4. I am planning on using this for Photo editing almost exclusively.

Any wisdom from the group on this chipset and compatibility issue with Win7 64bit.

1st. Congratulations on your latest haul/win over in Challenges #86!

2nd. If it were me. I'd say Honey, lets take this back and get at least a quadcore; up to date chipset.

The computer you have here is older tech, about 3 years old. The graphics card is fine. And it is now maxxed out in RAM capacity @ 8GB. It will handle your graphics needs, no doubt. Win7 is the norm.

You don't mention what you old computer is/was, so I cannot compare it.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    it is a 64bit PC

it comes standard with win7 home 64bit

you can check ;
    if you have two program files in C:drive , its 64bit

if not , not , but you can install it

It is 64bit! Hint: 8GB RAM
    tom wise
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »

2nd. If it were me. I'd say Honey, lets take this back and get at least a quadcore; up to date chipset.

The computer you have here is older tech, about 3 years old. The graphics card is fine. And it is now maxxed out in RAM capacity @ 8GB. It will handle your graphics needs, no doubt. Win7 is the norm.

Do you call Sandy Bridge older tech? I thought that it was only released early this year. And the 2 series i5 chips are quadcore.

I recently built a system with similar overall specs (H67 instead of H61 chipset, but the differences aren't huge) and it will be a big performance increase over a 3 year old XP box.

EDIT:

I see that is is the i5-2390T only i5 that is dual core. It still should be a decent performing machine though. Any of the other i5-2xxx processors would be faster though.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2011
    jziegler wrote: »
    Do you call Sandy Bridge older tech? I thought that it was only released early this year. And the 2 series i5 chips are quadcore.

I recently built a system with similar overall specs (H67 instead of H61 chipset, but the differences aren't huge) and it will be a big performance increase over a 3 year old XP box.

EDIT:

I see that is is the i5-2390T only i5 that is dual core. It still should be a decent performing machine though. Any of the other i5-2xxx processors would be faster though.

Ahh..Thanks for finding my mistake! It is the latest generation Intel Chipset, not the earlier version.

Still dual core versus Quadcore. 8GB max, and as reviews say, a so-so performer.

And really I cannot compare his old box, because he doesn't say what it is.
    tom wise
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    So if you were using this just for the photo editing needs (like the op is considering) would this chipset be decent?
    I understand that the quad core would be better, but the price is very appealing. I was going to wait until after thanksgiving to buy a photo only computer figuring that everything will be on massive sale.

Of course if the D800 is 36mp.. then what will a person need..rolleyes1.gif
    Gary
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2011
    Wayupthere wrote: »
    but the price is very appealing.
    Gary

Check the price points here: http://www.techbargains.com/catsearch.cfm/0_12_0
    tom wise
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »

Thanks Tom I had feeling it was a strong entry but you never know which way the voting will go.

My old machine is a Gateway with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800 had 1 gb Ram upgraded to 4GB
    250 GB HD it is a decent machine.

The amount of Chipset is mind numbing trying to sort out what is what. Older Computer is going to be used for every day stuff. My old emachine that served that purpose is way past its prime.

From what I have been able to digest so far the new one should serve well, with computers it is worse then cameras trying to keep up performance curve. Something better and faster is always out the next day.

I will probably add another hard drive and that along with the 3TB RAID 0 External drive should last a couple of years. ANy extra money that I could spend right now is in the D400 fund and that is not being touched.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/