Options

Let me re-phrase my question about sizing...

BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
edited October 12, 2011 in Finishing School
I know there is a simple answer to this... I just cannot figure it out!

Hypothetically...

This is for "screen only" purpose, not printing.

I have a banner that is 4.5" x 6.5", for website opening page. I want to match photos and make them the same size. The banner is not a photo...
I am willing to physically crop the photos...

Any thought besides taping a ruler on the screen?

Thanks and be well... Ara & Spirit
The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
My Gallery in progress...
On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    Well, first of all you have to realize that the banner is not 4.5" x 6.5". It is some number of pixels x some number of pixels. The physical size of the banner is going to depend on the screen resolution of the computer displaying the image.

Once you know how many pixels across the banner is, you can match the photos appropriately. HTH.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2008
    MarkR wrote:
    Well, first of all you have to realize that the banner is not 4.5" x 6.5". It is some number of pixels x some number of pixels. The physical size of the banner is going to depend on the screen resolution of the computer displaying the image.

Once you know how many pixels across the banner is, you can match the photos appropriately. HTH.

Ah! The banner is 701 x 411 pix. When I try to make the photos that size they are minuscule... different structure? I know I am missing something here. The Photos are originally 4000+/- x 2000+/-.

Thanks for staying with me here... :D

Ara & Spirit
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    BeemerChef wrote:
    Ah! The banner is 701 x 411 pix. When I try to make the photos that size they are minuscule... different structure? I know I am missing something here. The Photos are originally 4000+/- x 2000+/-.

Thanks for staying with me here... :D

Ara & Spirit

What tool are you using to resize them to 701x411? When you have your normal 4000x2000 image in a photo editor, it is not displayed as 100% of it's size because that would be bigger than your screen. If you then resize that image down to 701x411 and your tool preserves the same zoom that it had, the 701x411 will look incredibly tiny on screen. You need to find where your tool lets you set the zoom and go to 100% zoom so that what you are seeing on screen is pixel for pixel what's in the image with no scaling of the view. Then, it should look the same size that it would look as a banner on your site.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    What tool are you using to resize them to 701x411? When you have your normal 4000x2000 image in a photo editor, it is not displayed as 100% of it's size because that would be bigger than your screen. If you then resize that image down to 701x411 and your tool preserves the same zoom that it had, the 701x411 will look incredibly tiny on screen. You need to find where your tool lets you set the zoom and go to 100% zoom so that what you are seeing on screen is pixel for pixel what's in the image with no scaling of the view. Then, it should look the same size that it would look as a banner on your site.

That is where I was going wrong! I use GIMP... I can go 100%, now I have to find the tool that will let me downsize to 701 X 411... by cropping?
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2008
    jfriend wrote:

YES!!! On GIMP going to IMAGE and "scale image"... to the same pixels as the banner... et voila, saving it as a different image...

Thank you... and be well... hope I can help also some day! Cooking questions???:D

Ara & Spirit
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2008
    BeemerChef wrote:
    YES!!! On GIMP going to IMAGE and "scale image"... to the same pixels as the banner... et voila, saving it as a different image...

Thank you... and be well... hope I can help also some day! Cooking questions???:D

Ara & Spirit

Cool. Have any great vegan recipes you can share?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    Cool. Have any great vegan recipes you can share?

Now I feel really bad never replying... 4 years later whe again I was looking for the same solution! I am opening an e-store for "one-pan recipes" soon. If you are still here and get this I will send you a coupon code! And yes, much vegan. We travel for the past 5 years without refrigeration...
    Sorry... never too late though!
    Be well... Ara & Spirit
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2011
    BeemerChef wrote: »
    Now I feel really bad never replying... 4 years later whe again I was looking for the same solution! I am opening an e-store for "one-pan recipes" soon. If you are still here and get this I will send you a coupon code! And yes, much vegan. We travel for the past 5 years without refrigeration...
    Sorry... never too late though!
    Be well... Ara & Spirit
    Still here. Still looking for good vegan cooking. My email contact info is via my dgrin profile if you have ideas.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    Still here. Still looking for good vegan cooking. My email contact info is via my dgrin profile if you have ideas.

That is wonderful... 4 years later!... a story in itself.
    I will, the website is in the works, quickly!
    Be well... Ara & Spirit