Smug Wallet - Iphone App

Comments

• smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    I have an iTouch that has had smugwallet installed for about a month. I love having all my photos on it, it's a great app.
    But....
    I've tried to download some new galleries in the past week or so, and it doesn't seem to search for photos. When I touch that phrase, it does nothing, So now, I can't retrieve anything new.

Am I supposed to have to log in or something to get it to sync? It doesn't ask me to log in. It did allow me to update one or two times after the initial installation, but I can't remember what the process for retrieving images was when it actually worked.
  • mattwrightmattwright Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    SmugWallet Issues on iOS 5
    I wanted to write a quick note for people who rely on SmugWallet and are upgrading to iOS 5. There are a couple of issues that I am seeing starting to show up. The first is that people are reporting that the thumbnails are not showing up in galleries, but you can click on where they would be and the photos are still there. I will get this fixed and submitted to Apple asap.

The second issue I am just learning of is that Apple has changed the way the iPhone / iPad storage is working in iOS 5: http://www.marco.org/2011/10/13/ios5-caches-cleaning

The short story is that if you store the photos in Cache (which is the current default), then when your storage begins to fill up, the iPhone or iPad may automatically delete some files in that directory (not good). The alternative is the Documents directory, but in that case, your iTunes backups will slow down a lot and that data will also be backed up to iCloud (disabling this app from backing up to iCloud is suggested). There is really no alternative to the way the file storage used to work on the iPhone / iPad devices, and I am not sure whether this will be able to be fixed easily going forward, but I will try to stay on top of the latest news. You can switch between the Cache and Documents directory in the Advanced Options menu of the Settings screen and pick your poison.

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    mattwright wrote: »
    .... You can switch between the Cache and Documents directory in the Advanced Options menu of the Settings screen and pick your poison.

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
    Will the photos that are in the cache be moved to the Documents directory?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited October 13, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    Will the photos that are in the cache be moved to the Documents directory?

Yes, when you toggle that setting it moves the photos back and forth.

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
    edited October 13, 2011
    I have xx photos in xx galleries that won't clear from "Available to sync". Rebooted a bunch of times. Any suggestions?
    edited October 13, 2011
    I have xx photos in xx galleries that won't clear from "Available to sync". Rebooted a bunch of times. Any suggestions?

One thing that has worked for others in this situation is to toggle any categories that you have set to sync on your Settings screen to off and then back to on. Let me know if that fails,

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
    edited October 13, 2011
    One thing that has worked for others in this situation is to toggle any categories that you have set to sync on your Settings screen to off and then back to on. Let me know if that fails,

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
    Toggled off/on on/off even researched with nothing selected. Still shows 187p in 47g.
    edited October 14, 2011
    Toggled off/on on/off even researched with nothing selected. Still shows 187p in 47g.

It shows you still have 187 photos in 47 galleries to sync? Hrmm... That is odd, I'm not entirely sure what is going on there, and I'm sorry I can't offer a solution.

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
  • Green_HornetGreen_Hornet Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2011
    Matt,

let me quickly jump in and say that your app is awesome! And it looks killer (besides the icon, I just dont like the green SM :D ^^).

Adding the option to display the EXIF data (at least camera, shutter speed, aperture, focal length) would be very nice.

All the best,
    Jan
    View my photos at janriggert.smugmug.com
    Feel free to leave a comment...
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2011
    I'm having thumbnail generating issues on my iTouch using IOS 5, just installed. Square never seem to show and original, some show for a bit, then stop.

Have tried reboot of iPod. I gave 2453 images in 104 galleries. Was fine before OS upgrade.

Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2011
    I've generally had the same issue with the dead images. I recently rebuilt my whole image on my phone and ended up with 3 dead images in one gallery. Unfortunately, you can't tell what gallery it is complaining about. I've generally just lived with it... Love the app...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • mmcateemmcatee Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2011
    Amuf Wallet problem.
    I too am not seeing any thumbnails in the smug wallet iphone app after upgrading to IOS 5 and the iphone 4s, Any help would be appreciated.
  • derfderf Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2011
    I too do not see thumbs and am happy this is being addressed so quickly! Thank you and I can not wait to see that update! wings.gif thanks for being on top of this as usual! At leas I didn't update my iPad yet!
  • MVPinBoyntonMVPinBoynton Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 16, 2011
    I am also having the same thumbnail problem after iOS5 install. I am not seeing where anyone is saying that the issue is being addressed. Derf, where did you find that info?
  • derfderf Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I wanted to write a quick note for people who rely on SmugWallet and are upgrading to iOS 5. There are a couple of issues that I am seeing starting to show up. The first is that people are reporting that the thumbnails are not showing up in galleries, but you can click on where they would be and the photos are still there. I will get this fixed and submitted to Apple asap.

The second issue I am just learning of is that Apple has changed the way the iPhone / iPad storage is working in iOS 5: http://www.marco.org/2011/10/13/ios5-caches-cleaning

The short story is that if you store the photos in Cache (which is the current default), then when your storage begins to fill up, the iPhone or iPad may automatically delete some files in that directory (not good). The alternative is the Documents directory, but in that case, your iTunes backups will slow down a lot and that data will also be backed up to iCloud (disabling this app from backing up to iCloud is suggested). There is really no alternative to the way the file storage used to work on the iPhone / iPad devices, and I am not sure whether this will be able to be fixed easily going forward, but I will try to stay on top of the latest news. You can switch between the Cache and Documents directory in the Advanced Options menu of the Settings screen and pick your poison.

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility

Quote taken from the previous page submitted on October 13th.... I am sure there is a lot of new code to go thru to get it working, he seems to gave posted the issue we are having before we started posing about it. This make it a big A for effort in my book. I pray there is a resolution fast but feel re assured that if it does take a little while, it is not for lack of effort. At least this is how I feel!

37k Photos on SmugMug and find this app is still the best reason to own an iPhone and went so far as to buy an iPad because of this app! Now I count the seconds till I get my photos working right on my iPhone as 37K photos without thumbs are not really easy to navigate.

My site is Www.Longislandwallpapers.com
    edited October 17, 2011
    No thumbnails anymore under iOS 5. :-(
    edited October 17, 2011
    No thumbnails anymore under iOS 5. :-(

I'm working on it and hope to submit an update to Apple this week. Not sure what their approval times look like at the moment, but I will keep this forum updated. Sorry and thanks for your patience!

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
  • davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I'm working on it and hope to submit an update to Apple this week. Not sure what their approval times look like at the moment, but I will keep this forum updated. Sorry and thanks for your patience!

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
    Thanks for the prompt work Matt, I find myself using this little app to show people what I can do and they ALL like what they see on the iPhone, but without the thumbnails, its hard to find what I want to show them. Its a great little app when its working.
    Davethumb.gif
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
    edited October 20, 2011
    SmugWallet 4.1 submitted to Apple
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for your patience. I submitted the 4.1 update of SmugWallet to Apple for their approval. Not sure of current store approval times, but my guess is approximately one week if they don't reject it for some reason. The update will fix the missing thumbnail issue without the need for a re-sync. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
  • JakaruJakaru Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 20, 2011
    Wow - brand new to SmugWallet (wish I'd discovered it ages ago!), found that the thumbnails were appearing somewhat randomly. Very impressed to google it and find that it's already being sorted out!
    edited October 20, 2011
    Thank you Matt, for the prompt dealing with this issue. We'll keep an eye out for it! thumb.gif

Don

My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited October 21, 2011
    SmugWallet 4.1 available on App Store
    Well, that was fast! Apple approved the SmugWallet update and version 4.1 that fixes the blank thumbnail issue is now available for download. Thanks for your patience everyone,

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
    edited October 22, 2011
    Downloaded and it works perfectly! thumb.gif

Thank you Matt,

Don

• mmcateemmcatee Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    Thanks so much
    that was a quick turnaround
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2011
    Nice fast response from both the developer and Apple!

I have some questions about the Autoclean issue. Trying to decide which way to set the switch.

If some photos are deleted due to Autoclean, is there any notification of it or any indication in the user interface, or do we just stumble across missing photos or galleries the next time we try to view them?

Questions for if we set to Cache

If iOS deletes photos or galleries from the cache, what is the exact consequence for the SmugWallet galleries on the device? Suppose for example that I have enabled specific galleries for syncing and iOS deletes some photos, including at least one entire gallery. Is the fix to simply re-sync, and the exact gallery selections will all be restored, or will I have to go back and remember which galleries were enabled, and then re-select and re-sync?

Will the galleries lose metadata and special actions? For example if I downloaded high-res images for just two photos in a gallery and iOS deletes them, will re-syncing restore the high-res instances, or do I have to remember which photos they were and re-download the high-res versions?

Question for if we set it to Documents

In iOS 5, Apple rewrote large portions of the syncing code to enable wifi syncing and background syncing (you are no longer locked out of the device while it's syncing). Has anyone noticed, in the course of all this rewriting, is iOS any faster at backing up Documents? Because if it is not as slow as before, maybe I will set it to Documents and not worry about Autoclean consequences.

Thanks. Looks like a number of developers are having to deal with this issue.
    edited October 27, 2011
    SmugWallet: "11 photos failed to download"
    Hello all,

I've read in another thread, that others have this problem too.
    I would love to find out in this thread, what is causing this & how to handle it.

I had 11 PNG images (screenshots) that didnt want to sync.
    I identified these images, downloaded them to my computer, opened them in Photoshop, saved them for web as JPEG, and re-upped them to SmugMug.

For me, these would be completely new files. For SmugWallet not. ne_nau.gif
    The exact same 11 JPEGs wouldnt sync. Strange.

I tried restarting my iPhone, turned the gallery off & on again. Re-Synced it.
    No success. :cry

/Jan
    edited October 27, 2011
    The problem seems a bit random in that after upgrading to iOS5 and having my cache clobbered, I ended up with less dead images than I had before, but still ended up with 4 images missing (somewhere in 2 galleries across 6000 images). It would be really helpful if there were a way to get SW to tell me what images are not sync'ing (or even which galleries). Still, love the app...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited October 27, 2011
    Since its only 11 pictures, I downloaded all of them, opened them, took a screenshot, saved the screenshot as jpeg, uploaded it to SM, re-synced it.

Result: 8 of the former 11 pictures were unable to download. I dont get it...
    edited October 31, 2011
    How did you know what 11 images were not sync'ed?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 1, 2011
    I looked at my SmugMug site and at my SmugWallet photos (11 were missing).