Options

Canon 550D, 60D, or Nikon D5100 for first DSLR?

Kat18Kat18 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited October 20, 2011 in Cameras
Hey guys!

So here's my story. I'm in high school and trying to save for college. However, I feel the need to upgrade from a P&S to a DSLR. My skill as a photographer is growing beyond what a Canon SX120 P&S can support.

Most of my photography is macro or portrait. I do some action shots. I'm hoping to do more action with a better camera, though certainly not as my main focus. I also do quit a lot of landscape pictures. Basically, a bit of everything.

I'm not currently doing any official shoots other than for family and close friends, but that is something that I'd like to change once I have better equipment. I definitely haven't been charging anything previously, but I would like to eventually get to the point where I can do some jobs on the side.

My budget it somewhat limited. I'd like to not spend more than $700 if possible. Due to that and the fact that this would be my first DSLR, I'm currently looking at the Canon 550D, the Canon 60D, and the Nikon D5100. I would also eventually like to get a good macro lens, and a wide-shot, as well as a basic lens for everyday shooting. I am leaning towards the Canon 60D, as the camera I've "grown up" on was a Canon, and of course the 60D is more advanced than the 550D. I'd basically like a camera that handles high ISO well (with minimum noise), is fairly good at continuous shooting, and just all around does well as a basic DSLR. Oh, and I don't care about the video quality, as I almost never use it.

So, which camera would you all suggest for me? Alongside that, what lenses would you advise? I haven't done much research in the lens department, so I could use a good place to start. Please keep in mind that this will be my first DSLR, but I'd rather grow into something a little out of my experience range, than to have to buy another camera within a year or two.

Thanks guys! :D

Comments

• Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2011
    Is the $700 budget for the body + lenses or body only?
  • Options
    Green_HornetGreen_Hornet Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    If the 700$ is body+lens, than probably your only choice is the 550D with the kit lens.
    There are two kit lenses, the 17-135 and the 17-55. I would choose the 17-55, because the image quality is a bit better.
    A friend of mine just bought the 550D with the 15-85 lens, which is a pretty good combo (but probably over your budget).

/Jan
    View my photos at janriggert.smugmug.com
    Feel free to leave a comment...
  • Options
    EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    If the 700$ is body+lens, than probably your only choice is the 550D with the kit lens.
    There are two kit lenses, the 17-135 and the 17-55. I would choose the 17-55, because the image quality is a bit better.
    A friend of mine just bought the 550D with the 15-85 lens, which is a pretty good combo (but probably over your budget).

/Jan
    I think you mean 18-55 and 18-135. The 17-55 is a very expensive lens.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    You will probably have an easier time getting up to speed on a Canon, because you have a Canon p&s. The menus will be familiar. I made the same move years ago, and I could never pick up a Nikon without being completely mystified. I borrowed a friend's 10D and didn't even have to crack the manual. I love the control wheel on the back of the XXD or higher bodies, but a 60D might be out of your budget. If you don't care about movies, the 40D was an excellent performer for the class. It did alright at ISO 1600 with a good exposure.

But then you also must consider the lens system. Go through Canon's and Nikon's lineup and make a realistic list of lenses you'd want now and in the future. One glaring gap in the Nikon lineup is the lack of a high quality 70-200 f/4.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    Sounds to me like you'll get much closer to what you need and want by going used - your budget is actually pretty low for a full dSLR kit that can cover what you want to do. Check out KEH, Adorama and B&H for used from reputable dealers,t hat comes with a warranty. A 60d is close to $900 just for the body (on Amazon today, $879 body only), so not sure how that would be an option on the stated budget.

Something like a used Canon 40d or 50d ($400-600) + standard zoom ($100-400 depending on which one) and a fast 50mm lens ($100 for the "thrifty fifty" 50mm 1.8) will get you started. You'll want a longer zoom eventually too, but you may need to build up to that when budget allows. The consumer 55-250 is actually a very decent starter zoom, and can be picked up for $200 or less.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    I totally agree with DIVAMUM regarding the probability that going used might be just about your best option to get into a DSLR system with your budget. I shot with 30D and 40D cameras for a long while and was quite happy with them. I still use the 40D as half of my two-camera, go-to system.

See my China galleries at http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/ which were all shot with the 30D and 40D, albeit with top-line lenses.

If you can be happy without video capability - I certainly am! Then, the 30D. 40D or 50D might be your best bet. IMO, the 40D probably has the best features to price ratio. I cartainly like the xxD cameras better than the xxxD Rebels because of the control system.

The 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and 55-250mm f/3.5-5.6 lenses are possibly the best lenses for their price on the market. You might be able to get a 40D and these two lenses (used), along with a used 430EX not the ii model (I recently snared a minty 430EX for $125 US$ from eBay) for very close to your budget and you would have a pretty darn nice system.

If you could not get the 40D, two lenses and flash for your budget, then get what you can and pick up the remainder down the road. I'd probably choose the 40D, 18-55mm IS lens and flash as my first grouping unless I got a darn good deal on the 40D + some other lens or lenses...

You can bounce your flash with a diffuser/reflector that you can fabricate from cardboard or foamboard. This will give you nice results.
    http://super.nova.org/DPR/DIY01/
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2011
    Kat18 wrote: »
    Hey guys!

So here's my story. I'm in high school and trying to save for college. However, I feel the need to upgrade from a P&S to a DSLR. My skill as a photographer is growing beyond what a Canon SX120 P&S can support.

Most of my photography is macro or portrait. I do some action shots. I'm hoping to do more action with a better camera, though certainly not as my main focus. I also do quit a lot of landscape pictures. Basically, a bit of everything.

I'm not currently doing any official shoots other than for family and close friends, but that is something that I'd like to change once I have better equipment. I definitely haven't been charging anything previously, but I would like to eventually get to the point where I can do some jobs on the side.

My budget it somewhat limited. I'd like to not spend more than $700 if possible. Due to that and the fact that this would be my first DSLR, I'm currently looking at the Canon 550D, the Canon 60D, and the Nikon D5100. I would also eventually like to get a good macro lens, and a wide-shot, as well as a basic lens for everyday shooting. I am leaning towards the Canon 60D, as the camera I've "grown up" on was a Canon, and of course the 60D is more advanced than the 550D. I'd basically like a camera that handles high ISO well (with minimum noise), is fairly good at continuous shooting, and just all around does well as a basic DSLR. Oh, and I don't care about the video quality, as I almost never use it.

So, which camera would you all suggest for me? Alongside that, what lenses would you advise? I haven't done much research in the lens department, so I could use a good place to start. Please keep in mind that this will be my first DSLR, but I'd rather grow into something a little out of my experience range, than to have to buy another camera within a year or two.

Thanks guys! :D

550D (T2i) with the 18-55IS & 55-250IS lens combination, if you need a higher FPS rate for sports consider the 60D

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2010/05/camera-test-canon-eos-rebel-t2i
    http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/01/lab-test-canon-60d
  • Options
    Kat18Kat18 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 20, 2011
    Hey guys, sorry for not getting back to you all sooner! After doing more research on my own, particularly in the pricing area, I realized that my previous choices are out of the option (as many of you are now stating).

I actually ordered a Canon Rebel T1i which should arrive by Friday! I'm excited for it! I know it's not a fantastic camera, but it will cover my needs for now. I can instead focus on getting good lenses and lighting gear which will be compatible with a better model if I'm ever able to upgrade.

Thank you all for your advise!