Options

Frustrated ... Need a photo cropped to 4x7

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited October 17, 2011 in Finishing School
I have a photo on my site that my Mom wants to print out for Christmas cards. Only when I go to order it and crop it to a 4x7 .. it won't crop in the whole photo. So I cropped the photo to 4x7 and downloaded it in hopes I could print it out ... Nope ... still not a 4x7. I lose some photo.

Can anyone help me with this. I'd like the photo to stay 'whole' within a 4x7 crop.

Thanks a bunch :D

Ooops .. suppose it would help if I showed you all the photo. It's Frosty Morning .. The photo before it is the photo I cropped to 4x7, but still doesn't work.

Comments

• Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2011
    First off, what a lovely photo!

..but a 4 x 7? I at least don't have that option offhand in my checkout on my site. Unless I am wandering around in the dark (not uncommon!). You might actually have to make it a bit smaller and add some border to your photo, but even then it might be white space on two sides.

Hopefully someone that knows a bit more will come along soon. :)
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited October 16, 2011
    If you are talking about preserving the original 2x3/4x6 aspect ratio of your original image while printing on a 4x7 aspect ratio card stock?

Let's say I started with this image (just an example snap):

i-6xPN8Km.jpg

You can create a new "Canvas" with the 4x7 aspect ratio. The canvas color can be any color and added to one end. You can add a festive salutation or timely text in the blank area to give it purpose.

i-GJKcHz5.jpg

... or you can create a "stretched" and blurred copy of the original in the 4x7 aspect and then layer the original on top.

i-wcLPQSq.jpg

The point is that you need to add something to the side(s) to fill in the difference in width. Cropping alone will always remove image material in order to achieve a different aspect ratio. Do either of the above methods meet your needs?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    Thanks Ziggy! You always explain things better than I can. ..I guess a picture is worth quite a few words. :)
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    I like the one with the black on the side. But .. I did another oops .. I meant to say 4x6. Sorry for the mistake. Maybe you can change that in my request for help Ziggy :D

But ... the side being black with Happy Holidays might work for my Mom. I'll ask her. She might like it better then just the photo. If she doesn't tho .. how do I do a 4x6?

Just took a look at the other one you did with the blurred sides Ziggy ... that is neat. How did you do the blur?

Again .. I apologize for putting down 4x7 .. don't know what I was thinking. No I do know .. I wasn't thinking.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    jww wrote: »
    First off, what a lovely photo!

..but a 4 x 7? I at least don't have that option offhand in my checkout on my site. Unless I am wandering around in the dark (not uncommon!). You might actually have to make it a bit smaller and add some border to your photo, but even then it might be white space on two sides.

Hopefully someone that knows a bit more will come along soon. :)

Thank you .. I'm glad you liked the photo.

Still can't believe I messed up on the sizing. Hopefully tho my Mom will like the added edge. I think it looks nice.

Think I need some sleep :D
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited October 17, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    ... how do I do a 4x6? ...

In Photoshop:

1) Image - Image Size
    Make sure to click off the "Resample Image".

For your original image, it is more of a panoramic than 4x6, so you need to add to the height.

While still in Image Size, reset the Width to 6 Inches. (Leave the height alone.) Click "OK".
    2) Now choose Image - Canvas Size. You should see something similar to "Width: 6 in." "Height: 3.86 in."
    Type in a new Height of 4 in.
    Also choose a "Canvas Extension Color".

Note the arrows. I suggest choosing the arrow pointing straight up. That will "lock" your start position at the top of your image and force the additional canvas to grow downward. You should now see something like:

i-G59QZnH.jpg

Click on the "OK" and you should see a black bar added to the bottom of your image, and the total canvas size should now be in the aspect ratio of 6x4.
    3) Add text to the black bar as you wish.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    Thank you Ziggy ... I've never known how to do the bottom before like this :D