Options

#87 - Rings at Dawn

karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited October 17, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I went to the art park at the North Carolina Museum of Art and to my surprise, they light up the rings when it's dark enough outside :D C&C Appreciated as always.

#1:

i-V9khh8t-XL.jpg

#2:

i-bHjW6cP-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2011
    I like the first one, but maybe you could crop out some of the grass to bring the hoops a little closer to the Rule of Thirds. Awesome sky!

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2011
    Love that second shot (with some cleanup).
    Part of what I'm personally struggling with as a photog are shooting shots like this. Although pleasing, I personally want more. I'm finding it's not enough (again for me personally) just to shoot a pretty building, or flower.
    When I see the second image, I start to fantasize what this would look like with an A and B story. This particular view lends itself for framing of a 'B'-story within the rings (although I think that should be the A story and the rings the B-story). Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2011
    I like the first one, but maybe you could crop out some of the grass to bring the hoops a little closer to the Rule of Thirds. Awesome sky!

Chris

Thanks, Chris :D I'll play around with that one and see if I can find a satisfactory crop to repost.
    Froch wrote: »
    Love that second shot (with some cleanup).
    Part of what I'm personally struggling with as a photog are shooting shots like this. Although pleasing, I personally want more. I'm finding it's not enough (again for me personally) just to shoot a pretty building, or flower.
    When I see the second image, I start to fantasize what this would look like with an A and B story. This particular view lends itself for framing of a 'B'-story within the rings (although I think that should be the A story and the rings the B-story). Good Luck!

Froch, thank you for your comments. What types of cleanup are you suggesting?

As per telling a story within a frame and using these rings as the framing element, I agree, that would be quite interesting. Deciding which story to tell that is framed by such rings would be interesting. This particular art installation was designed by Thomas Sayre and is titled "Gyre". From the NCMA website: "The title Gyre refers to a circular or spiraling motion—gyration—and a spiraling shape, like a vortex or tornado."

Perhaps I need to capture these in a storm mwink.gif

Cheers,
    Karl
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2011
    Here is a slightly cleaned up version of the second image.

#3:

i-bHjW6cP-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2011
    And #4 (a more rule of thirds balanced version of #1):

i-28b3TjL-XL.jpg
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2011
    I guess I would play around with a tighter crop eliminating the foreground lights and then straighten the horizon line because then the photo might lend itself to a more "what is that?" or science fiction type of story. The backdrop of the sky is fantastic the way it offsets the rings. GP
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2011
    I think I would like #3 if the lights in the FG were cropped out. Nice light!
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    Those are really cool and the sky is great.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2011
    GretaPics wrote: »
    I guess I would play around with a tighter crop eliminating the foreground lights and then straighten the horizon line because then the photo might lend itself to a more "what is that?" or science fiction type of story. The backdrop of the sky is fantastic the way it offsets the rings. GP

Thanks for the feedback -- that's definitely an interesting take on it. I think I'll play with that some more on the next version.
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I think I would like #3 if the lights in the FG were cropped out. Nice light!

I thought I could get away with the lights being in there as the rings are man made, but coupled with the above comment, some type of abstract, sci-fi looking image may be just where I need to go. Thanks for the feedback!
    cbbr wrote: »
    Those are really cool and the sky is great.

Thank you! :D
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    GretaPics wrote: »

15524779-Ti.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2011
    And for further consideration:

#4:

i-sQqsFMB-XL.jpg

#5:

i-G79fLxB-XL.jpg

C&C Always Appreciated :)
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I like #4. I like that even tho we don't see 3 full rings, we know that's what they are.
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    Much better with the spot lights cropped out... :D
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    I agree - #4. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011