Like the set, nicely done
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    Cute girl in that last one. Too bad.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    I really like what you've done compositionally, but they look slightly under exposed.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    Great set! clap.gifclap I wanted to go to Denver and shoot some of the demonstrations there, but I saw the news and there where only and handful of people.
  • Options
    NmahoochNmahooch Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    nice set. I like the guy with all the flags.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2011
    A couple of moderator notes:
    Here is a shot of a Veteran for Peace at Occupy Boston

It's better form to start your own thread to share your pics than to tack them onto an existing thread, unless the OP creates the thread for that purpose ("Post your night shots here", for example). thumb.gif
    RSL wrote: »
    Cute girl in that last one. Too bad.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is. It's either about the girl or the politics. Neither comment is about photography, which is what we talk about here. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    richardman wrote: »
    Complete slideshow with music and HTML gallery here:
    http://www.richardmanphoto.com/blog/?p=2902

Very nicely done, Richard - I wish there were more images in the slide show. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »

BD, I will make an extended slideshow. Some of my photos have been linked to some activist sites and someone bought a print already. Many of those images are "loser" pictures :-)
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    richardman wrote: »
    BD, I will make an extended slideshow. Some of my photos have been linked to some activist sites and someone bought a print already. Many of those images are "loser" pictures :-)

Actually, on second thought - I did it EXACTLY right. Now I want you to see more of my images. So you may look at my website, or if I post next time, you may be more inclined to look at my images :-)

(hee hee, I will post an extended slideshow, I found myself wanting also :-) )
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    One of the most interesting things about them is how radically - sorry ;-)- different they are from your much more ethereal subjects and images.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited October 17, 2011
    One of the most interesting things about them is how radically - sorry ;-)- different they are from your much more ethereal subjects and images.

Oh man, ain't that the truth!! With 13 participants at the DAH workshop, I was the only "Rocks, Trees, and Water" photographer. Hey, I live in suburbia California where there are lots of, well, "Rocks, Trees and Water!" But I did grow up in HK and NYC and I have participated in similar events so I knew I could do this. Nevertheless, the first outing was a disaster!! The next day, when DAH looked at my edited shots, which I was somewhat proud of, he said, "Richard, I do not see a single picture here!"

Swallowed my pride and tried again, and again and again. If I live in NYC, I will still be going there. I may hook up with the Occupy Oakland or Occupy San Francisco groups, and I do know some people there - after I catch up with my work!
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    If I paid good money for a workshop, and the leader said that to me, I'd tell the leader 'you may be the WORLD'S biggest name photographer, but you aren't worth a nickel as a teacher - so I'd like me money back.' I doubt that what you shot was up to DHA standards. And I can even imagine that there really was nothing good in your week's shoot - I say this having shot a week's worth of absolute shit at a Eugene Richards workshop. But I know that there were images you shot that could have been used to suggest ways to shoot better, and there are a hundred other, better ways, to say what he said. I never fail to be astounded by what lousy instructors so many big name photographers are, despite what they get paid for the instruction.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    If I paid good money for a workshop, and the leader said that to me, I'd tell the leader 'you may be the WORLD'S biggest name photographer, but you aren't worth a nickel as a teacher - so I'd like me money back.' I doubt that what you shot was up to DHA standards. And I can even imagine that there really was nothing good in your week's shoot - I say this having shot a week's worth of absolute shit at a Eugene Richards workshop. But I know that there were images you shot that could have been used to suggest ways to shoot better, and there are a hundred other, better ways, to say what he said. I never fail to be astounded by what lousy instructors so many big name photographers are, despite what they get paid for the instruction.

BD, thank you for fighting for me - but it was referring to the first day's shoot. The next day was better, and by the end of the 4th or 5th day (who's counting? :-) ), he said every day I brought better shoot, and he is right!!

I am not hero worship or stockholm symptom here - my style is very different from DAH's and it shall remain that way. He did a great job cultivating what's in me. And the way I presented what he said is out of context; he really did present it in such a way that I did not feel offended. Honestly.

So for anyone reading this for the prosperity of the web eternal, I will not hesitate to recommend his workshop to anyone. Really. And while I missed two occasion to take a workshop with you (BD) due to schedule conflict, I have no doubt that it is just as a killer workshop from the conversations we have over the many years and from feedback from participants. You are all my mentors and my friends.

Thank you.