Options

BETA Status?

snadboysnadboy Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
What is the status of v1.1.1 of the SmugMug API?

From my testing, and the numerous posts of Luke Church, there appear to be numerous problems with the API. Since this BETA has been available since May of this year I had hoped for something more reliable, or at least an active discussion of the problems and their proposed resolutions.

I understand that support for the API is 'as-is', but isn't it time for this issue to move closer to resolution?

snadboy

Comments

• Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2005
    snadboy wrote:
    What is the status of v1.1.1 of the SmugMug API?

From my testing, and the numerous posts of Luke Church, there appear to be numerous problems with the API. Since this BETA has been available since May of this year I had hoped for something more reliable, or at least an active discussion of the problems and their proposed resolutions.

I understand that support for the API is 'as-is', but isn't it time for this issue to move closer to resolution?

snadboy

The API, being technically unsupported, requires testing by the user community at large to become stable. It receives a decent amount of testing internally since we do use it ourselves, but not the kind of rigorous testing that hundreds of apps, rather than one, can provide.

Until Luke came along, the BETA API wasn't getting the testing it needed and, as a result, stagnated. Now that Luke's attacking it vigorously and methodically, I'm hopeful we'll get the bugs worked out in the next two weeks or so and we can release the BETA API as the new stable release.

No promises, though. It'll be done "when it's done", which varies depending on my (and, now, Luke's) workload.

Stay tuned.

Don
  • Options
    avonwyssavonwyss Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Until Luke came along, the BETA API wasn't getting the testing it needed and, as a result, stagnated. Now that Luke's attacking it vigorously and methodically, I'm hopeful we'll get the bugs worked out in the next two weeks or so and we can release the BETA API as the new stable release.

No promises, though. It'll be done "when it's done", which varies depending on my (and, now, Luke's) workload.
    Hello Don,

Thank you for the good news. I hope that you'll also fix the issues with REST calls, not only XML-RPC (since Luke only uses XML-RPC to my knowledge).

Especially the encoding bug (XML declaration states UTF-8, but contents is Latin-1 -> XML parser isn't happy about it as soon as some non-ASCII-chars are used like àéèäöü) and the logout bug should hopefully get fixed soon, since they are problematic for users of the REST calls (session remains valid and could me misused).

Cheers, Arsène
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2005
    avonwyss wrote:
    Hello Don,

Thank you for the good news. I hope that you'll also fix the issues with REST calls, not only XML-RPC (since Luke only uses XML-RPC to my knowledge).

Especially the encoding bug (XML declaration states UTF-8, but contents is Latin-1 -> XML parser isn't happy about it as soon as some non-ASCII-chars are used like àéèäöü) and the logout bug should hopefully get fixed soon, since they are problematic for users of the REST calls (session remains valid and could me misused).

Cheers, Arsène

Hmm, strange, I'm specifically encoding to UTF-8 on almost every string. (I'd like to say "every" rather than "almost every" but I'd have to double-check since you're obviously not seeing what I thought I wrote ;).

FYI, I use REST almost exclusively, so with Luke hitting XML-RPC and me hitting REST, hopefully we'll have good coverage.

But I can always use an extra set of eyes. :)

Don
  • Options
    avonwyssavonwyss Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Hmm, strange, I'm specifically encoding to UTF-8 on almost every string. (I'd like to say "every" rather than "almost every" but I'd have to double-check since you're obviously not seeing what I thought I wrote ;).
    Well, this went unnoticed probably because it does only matter when one starts to use special chars - and the English-speaking part of the community usually doesn't use any of those.
    FYI, I use REST almost exclusively, so with Luke hitting XML-RPC and me hitting REST, hopefully we'll have good coverage.
    Ok, so if you are using REST yourself, please tell me: are you logging off your sessions? If yes, are you doing this via REST? Because I always get an unknown session error back when I try to logoff, both for authenticated and anonymous logins.
    But I can always use an extra set of eyes. :)
    Well, I guess noone uses the full feature-set, so more users means more coverage... right? ;)

Cheers, Arsène