Options

Fuji S7000 using external flash/aperature priority

albierioalbierio Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited June 22, 2004 in Cameras
Hi All,

The S7000 manual recommends that I either use Manual or Aperature priority when shooting with my external flash. (Which is a Vivitar 283). I've got manual figured out but not aperature. The instructions say very little about using the external flash.

When the camera is set at aperature priority I set the aperature to the same aperature as my flash setting. I would then expect the speed setting of the camera to change as I pointed at different subjects. The speed setting just indicates underexposed, like there is no flash. Is my camera broken or what am I missing here.

Also is it possible to have the camera control the external flash? The flash instructions seem to hint at this (Flash instructions say set the flash to manual and the camera to automatic). This doesn't seem to work either.

I don't have a problem shooting in Manual mode. I just want to master all of the options. TIA, Mike

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited March 25, 2004
    albierio wrote:
    Hi All,

The S7000 manual recommends that I either use Manual or Aperature priority when shooting with my external flash. (Which is a Vivitar 283). I've got manual figured out but not aperature. The instructions say very little about using the external flash.

When the camera is set at aperature priority I set the aperature to the same aperature as my flash setting. I would then expect the speed setting of the camera to change as I pointed at different subjects. The speed setting just indicates underexposed, like there is no flash. Is my camera broken or what am I missing here.

Also is it possible to have the camera control the external flash? The flash instructions seem to hint at this (Flash instructions say set the flash to manual and the camera to automatic). This doesn't seem to work either.

I don't have a problem shooting in Manual mode. I just want to master all of the options. TIA, Mike
    I do not own a S7000 so take this with a grain of salt..... The Vivitar 283, if I rememeber correctly, does not take advantage of the light sensor in the camera, but has its own light meter that quenches the strobe after adequate illumination. If you are not getting an illuminated picture then I wonder what shutter speed your camera is set for. In the manual for the S7000(http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/bin/S7000Manual.pdf) on page 65 it says that the shutter speed has to be set at 1/100th of a second and recommends external flash be used in the manual mode which should be okay with the 283 as it will meter and then quench the flash itslef - just be sure the aperature of the camera and the aperature chosen on the 283 are in agreement and the camera is at 1/100second.

I do not beleive the 283 can be controlled by your camera other than to synch it with your shutter.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    surlysurly Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2004
    albierio wrote:
    Hi All,

you probalby figured this out but...
    make sure you have the "external flash" option turned on
    mine works fine even in P mode
    one thing i wish is that the flash comp would dial down a little lower